TAG HEUER CELEBRATES THE 150th ANNIVERSARY IN PARIS
THE HIGH POINT OF A HISTORICAL WORLD TOUR
29 September 2010 – The Odyssey of Pioneers, the first world tour of an electric roadster, ended in Paris, at the LVMH Headquarters, with a cortege of artists and celebrities who came together for the occasion. Amongst them, Leonardo DiCaprio, who launched the tour six months ago in Basel, HRH Prince Albert II of Monaco and Bernard Arnault, President of the LVMH Group, all committed to the same sustainable development goal. The festivities organized for TAG Heuer’s 150th anniversary were brought to an impressive close.
Driven by Elon Musk, Chairman and co-founder of Tesla Motors, the TAG Heuer Tesla Roadster made its entry into the Atrium at 22 av. Montaigne, applauded by over 400 guests. Jean-Christophe Babin, TAG Heuer’s CEO, was there to also welcome Alain Prost, Jean Todt, David Halliday, Antoine and Delphine Arnault and Gérald de Palmas, just to name a few.
« If I count all the World Records of which we are so proud, I reach a total of over 50 patents, which means that every two or three years we have created a milestone in the history of watchmaking. An amazing example of continuity and perseverance in innovation through the generations» declared Jack Heuer, Chairman of the brand. « The Odyssey of Pioneers is proof yet again of our determination to constantly innovate, create, reinvent ourselves. Today, we are also committed to protect the planet » concluded Jean-Christophe Babin.
Other examples of this same pioneering spirit are the Grand Carrera Pendulum, the first mechanical movement without a hairspring that toured the world on board the TAG Heuer Tesla Roadster, and the Monaco 24 Calibre 36, a concept watch launched in Basel in 2009 that went on sale this year. The first proud owner of this timepiece inspired by racing cars was Leonardo DiCaprio and it was handed to him on stage by Mr Jean-Christophe Babin.
The Odyssey of Pioneers
On the occasion of its 150th anniversary, TAG Heuer launched a travelling exhibition of its most beautiful timepieces in March 2010 in Basel. Symbols of an ever-evolving story, they are milestones in an epic dedicated to innovation - from the oscillating pinion to the Mikrograph, from the Time of Trip to the Carrera 1887, from the first dashboard chronographs to the iconic Monaco, it is always a matter of measuring the tiniest possible period of time. In order to conduct this road show in the manner of the Olympic flame, the TAG Heuer Tesla Roadster - the result of an exclusive partnership between Tesla Motors and TAG Heuer - crossed 3 continents and visited 16 cities, thus achieving the first world tour with a 100% electric GT car.
During this long journey, the Odyssey of Pioneers left a lasting impression wherever it passed:
- In Moscow, the TAG Heuer Tesla Roadster was the first vehicle with no Russian-produced parts that was allowed to enter Red Square. At the wheel was Tania, the Russian singer and top model.
- In India, the Odyssey was welcomed by Shah Rukh Khan, the Bollywood Star and later the car was driven to the Maharajah of Jaipur, one of the most influential personages in Rajasthan.
- In China, the actor Chen Dao Min took over and drove the TAG Heuer Tesla Roadster to the Great Wall. Later the road show was welcomed to the Monte Carlo Pavilion at the Shanghai Universal Exhibition, dedicated to environmental protection.
- In the Land of the Rising Sun, the Odyssey was acclaimed during a memorable event in the presence of the actress Anne Watanabe.
- in the USA, after a stop in Los Angeles, marked by the ever-welcoming presence of Maria Sharapova, the TAG Heuer Tesla roadster crossed the North American continent from west to east arriving in Miami via Las Vegas, greeted in passing by Olivia Newton-John. Then the exhibition reached New York, where it was applauded amongst others by Ed Westwick, the Gossip Girl star.
- London celebrated the return of the Odyssey of Pioneers to the Old Continent, during a wonderful evening at Selfridges, where the roadster made its entry with Sir Stirling Moss at the wheel.
But apart from sumptuous evenings and sparking celebrities, this has been a truly human adventure: from a sunset on the Strip to the amazement of children in India, from the timeless majesty of the Forbidden City to nightly recharging at ......s on three continents, the Odyssey has been a snapshot of our dynamic world at the beginning of the 21st century. Vivien Floris, who followed the journey all the way next to the driver, Luke McClure, has immortalized these special moments: http://odyssey.tagheuer.com/.