1979 - Page 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 1979

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1979

Quote Originally Posted by MattBrace View Post
    Agreed its Ham2's example, I knew the watch would be older than 79' the Pallet fork bridge was changed in 77' so the movement must date from 76-77' at the latest.
    the inscription does not have to have been applied when it was new. A Translation may help? Perhaps the officer retired in 79?
    Well I'm learning a lot, I didn't know about the pallet fork bridge difference.

Crown on the chrono bridge preceding no crowns still doesn't make any sense to me.

I think the straight edge on the pallet fork bridge underneath the balance wheel answers what came first between the crown or no crown on the chronograph bridge. The earliest examples of the 3133 had the straight edge. The curved/cut edge appeared later and is seen with no crown and on all later 3133s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ham2 View Post
    I think the straight edge on the pallet fork bridge underneath the balance wheel answers what came first between the crown or no crown on the chronograph bridge. The earliest examples of the 3133 had the straight edge. The curved/cut edge appeared later and is seen with no crown and on all later 3133s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Crown on yours appears to be fading, maybe they just disappear after a while.

Wow, just noticed yours has a five-digit serial number not "mirrored". Shouldn't it be four digit, "mirrored", like the other three? Was the crown added to a newer chrono bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Wow, just noticed yours has a five-digit serial number not "mirrored". Shouldn't it be four digit, "mirrored", like the other three? Was the crown added to a newer chrono bridge?
    5 digit serial numbers ran until late in 79' or early 80' 4 digit then took over until much later in the 80's.

My early Sturmanskie movement.

Name:  20160625_121734.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  196.0 KB
    Last edited by MattBrace; 5 Days Ago at 22:22.
    schnurrp likes this.

Well I'm learning a lot, I didn't know about the pallet fork bridge difference.

Crown on the chrono bridge preceding no crowns still doesn't make any sense to me.
    I agree that a lack of identification seems to make no sense, my only thought is a transitional period.

1. prototypes and first production examples are all stamped on the bridge. (1st MWF or Crown)
    2. decision is made to move stamp to mainplate.
    3. new bridge parts come into use on the production line (no stamp)
    4. old mainplates are still in use on the line (no stamp)

So the transition period is reached, no stamps until new mainplates arrived?

We will probably never know..

Quote Originally Posted by MattBrace View Post
    We will probably never know..
    And since these were the soviets, not the Germans or Swiss, they probably didn't care so much. Also, while '76 is early for the 3133s it is toward the end of the period known as the "Golden Age" of soviet watchmaking and approaching the difficult decade of the '80s. Other concerns were coming to the fore.

I wonder how many questions regarding soviet watches have been answered with "transitional period"?

Maybe they discovered that with so much stamping on that little chrono bridge some were being damaged, so they decided to do away with the big crown. Then, after a while, they decided there did need to be some identifying marks so they opted for a small crown stamped on the main plate.
    Last edited by schnurrp; 6 Days Ago at 01:14.

And since these were the soviets, not the Germans or Swiss, they probably didn't care so much. Also, while '76 is early for the 3133s it is toward the end of the period known as the "Golden Age" of soviet watchmaking and approaching the difficult decade of the '80s. Other concerns were coming to the fore.

I wonder how many questions regarding soviet watches have been answered with "transitional period"?

Maybe they discovered that with so much stamping on that little chrono bridge some were being damaged, so they decided to do away with the big crown. Then, after a while, they decided there did need to be some identifying marks so they opted for a small crown stamped on the main plate.
    Hmmm, sounds logical to me, but then Im biased........

Fantastic catch Ham, well done comrade!
    While im not as good as I once was.....im as good once as I ever was.....!

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Late to the party, but I'm pretty astonished nobody has quoted this thread yet: A grail to replace another one: Okean first batch ever (?). Boris' serial number is 00655, just 51 units away from Ham2's.

As I see it, there are a few distinguishing characteristics of these ultra-early pieces, which separate them from some of the "just" early pieces as shown by schnurrp:

Name:  Okean3 2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  186.7 KB

These special features, of course, are in addition to those we would expect from other early 3133s -- like a two-piece reset lever, steel jumper spring, and silver chrono wheels.

The serial number font is particularly salient on these ultra-early movements. Compare the above to another very-early 3133 (but not ultra-early), and notice the more rounded numbers that came later. This font difference is especially evident with the digit "0", which is much more squarish and box-like on the ultra-early movements.

Boris also mentions some slight differences in the lug design. Perhaps this is what makes the cases look different.

Oh, and nice watch 😒
    schnurrp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    As I see it, there are a few distinguishing characteristics of these ultra-early pieces, which separate them from some of the "just" early pieces as shown by schnurrp:
    Okay, Okay, hard to argue after re-reading Boris' thread, crown on chrono bridge is first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information