Curious about this Vostok

Thread: Curious about this Vostok

Curious about this Vostok

Greetings all!

I picked up this Vostok at a flea market a few months ago. Seller thought it was a quartz watch and wanted ten bucks for it. I gave him a line about how hard it would be to find a battery for a foreign watch and talked him down to five. He wasn't too happy when I wound it up and it worked perfectly. The watch was on a plastic camouflage strap when I got it, which I swapped for this brown leather band.

I've been interested in Russian watches for a while and this one was a lucky find. I know it was (or seems to be) manufactured before the end of the Soviet Union, due to the "3AKA3" and "MOCCCP" markings on the face. It appears to be a 17 jewel Komandarskie. I just wanted to see if anybody could tell me any more info about this watch, especially an approximate manufacture date.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Curious about this Vostok

Hi. Though I'm not an expert, and I just started to appreciate vostok watches too. Your piece seemed peculiar. The "MOCCCP" is usually printed with a gap in between. And it looked like the caseback is a one-piece caseback, which vostok uses the opposite, a 2-piece caseback. And the lume is a bit too greenish. But whatever, a $5 mechanical watch is a very good buy.

I agree with GenkiSushi. Look at the picture below of an authentic one. Hands are too skinny, it's a different tank picture, and crown is too small. Is it a screw-in crown? Interesting watch, though, for $5.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The biggest error is the misspelling!
    Which one? No cyrillics at hand, so one types Kamhen and not Камней !!!
    I'd just say one word: CHINA

As a further clue for China, the typically too small crown, and lastly the movement if we could see it.
    Last edited by emoscambio; September 13th, 2012 at 09:39.
    Авиатор ‣ АВР ‣ Аврора ‣ Агат ‣ Адмиральские ‣ Амфибия ‣ АЧВ ‣ АЧС ‣ Буран ‣ Волна ‣ Восток ‣ Генеральские ‣ Денисов ‣ Заря ‣ Звезда ‣ ЗиМ ‣ Кировские ‣ Командирские ‣ Луч ‣ Маяк ‣ Мир ‣ Молния ‣ Москва ‣ Наири ‣ Океан ‣ Орион ‣ Победа ‣ Полёт ‣ Пионер ‣ Ракета ‣ Родина ‣ Россия ‣ Сатурн ‣ Сигнал ‣ Слава ‣ Спортивные ‣ Спутник ‣ Стрела ‣ Хрусталь ‣ Чайка ‣ Штурманские ‣ Электроника ‣ ЯнтарьAlba ‣ Aspor ‣ AviatorSwiss ‣ Blonex ‣ Błonie ‣ Car'n'Driver ‣ Chateau ‣ Citizen ‣ Clipper ‣ Deuta ‣ Enicar ‣ Franklin ‣ Fuji ‣ Glashütte ‣ Glycine ‣ Gruen ‣ HenriGireaux ‣ Junghans ‣ Junkers ‣ Karex ‣ Lip ‣ LordElgin ‣ Mido ‣ Moeris ‣ Onsa ‣ Orient ‣ ParaNeptun ‣ Plymouth ‣ Poltik ‣ Premira ‣ Prim ‣ Primato ‣ Rega ‣ Ricoh ‣ Rivado ‣ Royal ‣ Royce ‣ Ruhla ‣ RWUE ‣ Seca ‣ Seiko ‣ Shanghai ‣ Silvia ‣ Thiel ‣ TimeRite ‣ Tissot ‣ UMF ‣ Ursacord ‣ VostokEurope ‣ Yrda ‣ Zentra ‣ Zeppelin ‣ ZMP ‣ Zodiac

Would it still use a vostok movement if its from china? at 5 dollars its still a nice purchase.

Thanks for the replies.

Figures I'd just happen to stumble on a copy, if that is indeed the case.

The crown is not screw down. After doing some reading on the forum I had been wondering why mine seemed to be the only "Vostok" without one. I was also curious about the caseback as well.

I haven't opened the back as I don't have tools (yet). I might be making a trip to my watch repair guy soon. If so, I'll bring this one along and have him open it up and take a few pics.

sci

I have seen such replikas of Komandirskie with some SCM inside. If I'm not wrong, you will see 17 zuan inside the movement.
    P.S. look here
    strange movement of Vostok komandirskie eny clues?
    Last edited by sci; September 13th, 2012 at 10:16.

Waterproof written also incorrect
    ВОДОНЕПРОНNЦАЕМЫЕ
    Not Gonna Get Us.

Quote Originally Posted by meranom View Post
    Waterproof written also incorrect
    ВОДОНЕПРОНNЦАЕМЫЕ
    Just as on the older JL Casebacks...
    Авиатор ‣ АВР ‣ Аврора ‣ Агат ‣ Адмиральские ‣ Амфибия ‣ АЧВ ‣ АЧС ‣ Буран ‣ Волна ‣ Восток ‣ Генеральские ‣ Денисов ‣ Заря ‣ Звезда ‣ ЗиМ ‣ Кировские ‣ Командирские ‣ Луч ‣ Маяк ‣ Мир ‣ Молния ‣ Москва ‣ Наири ‣ Океан ‣ Орион ‣ Победа ‣ Полёт ‣ Пионер ‣ Ракета ‣ Родина ‣ Россия ‣ Сатурн ‣ Сигнал ‣ Слава ‣ Спортивные ‣ Спутник ‣ Стрела ‣ Хрусталь ‣ Чайка ‣ Штурманские ‣ Электроника ‣ ЯнтарьAlba ‣ Aspor ‣ AviatorSwiss ‣ Blonex ‣ Błonie ‣ Car'n'Driver ‣ Chateau ‣ Citizen ‣ Clipper ‣ Deuta ‣ Enicar ‣ Franklin ‣ Fuji ‣ Glashütte ‣ Glycine ‣ Gruen ‣ HenriGireaux ‣ Junghans ‣ Junkers ‣ Karex ‣ Lip ‣ LordElgin ‣ Mido ‣ Moeris ‣ Onsa ‣ Orient ‣ ParaNeptun ‣ Plymouth ‣ Poltik ‣ Premira ‣ Prim ‣ Primato ‣ Rega ‣ Ricoh ‣ Rivado ‣ Royal ‣ Royce ‣ Ruhla ‣ RWUE ‣ Seca ‣ Seiko ‣ Shanghai ‣ Silvia ‣ Thiel ‣ TimeRite ‣ Tissot ‣ UMF ‣ Ursacord ‣ VostokEurope ‣ Yrda ‣ Zentra ‣ Zeppelin ‣ ZMP ‣ Zodiac

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badger47 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Figures I'd just happen to stumble on a copy, if that is indeed the case.
    It's called karma. The guy is selling a fake but doesn't know what it is or even what it pretends to be. You play upon his ignorance and con him into dropping the price, thinking that you got a great deal. Result: you paid $5 for a $5 watch.

If it's any consolation, you now have a specimen of probably the most thorough counterfeit watch of all time, in as much as the specially manufactured parts (case, bezel) have never ever been used in a legitimately branded watch (as is the case with fakes of famous Swiss pieces) ...ever. That's got to be some kind of record. The Vostok Komandirskie is also possibly the cheapest watch ever to be the subject of widespread counterfeiting. So in its own way, it's an interesting museum piece.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information