Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First Relume: Black Tankist Komandirskie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Relume: Black Tankist Komandirskie

Bought an inexpensive used Komandirskie just for the relume practice. Like a cheap breast augmentation, it doesn't quite look original, but it gets the job done! I hate to molest a Soviet-era Komandirskie (the very model that first got me interested in Russian watches back in '91), but this one needed help anyway, and I'll enjoy it...

Before:
    Name:  $(KGrHqZ,!g4E8k7G)6rHBPK)uTdFNQ~~60_12.JPG
Views: 1167
Size:  31.3 KB

After:
    Name:  IMG_20120215_223928.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  71.8 KB
    Last edited by Mister Mike; February 16th, 2012 at 05:06.

Weezy's a legend -- you can tell by the bottom of my sleeve when you see what's in the bezel

Re: First Relume: Black Tankist Komandirskie

Mister Mike,

It certain glows like a beacon in your second picture! Which brand and type of lume compound did you use?

The Valley of Death, but I fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in The Valley

What lume did you use Mike?
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "....I drank what?"

"I have too many damn watches".....said no one on the WUS Russian Forum ever...

Great minds think alike, Sam! We were typing at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Mister Mike,

It certain glows like a beacon in your second picture! Which brand and type of lume compound did you use?
    Seele, it's a brand you know all too well -- in fact, some of your earlier posts were an inspiration! Yes, it's humble Anchor brand lume, straight from Bombay. I have to admit that I shined it under a light right before the photo, but this stuff actually does glow all night long -- it's much better than the factory Vostok lume.

Weezy's a legend -- you can tell by the bottom of my sleeve when you see what's in the bezel

Looks good! I am going to give it a try. I am not completely satisfied with the GlowInc stuff that I used.

Quote Originally Posted by JRMTactical View Post
    Looks good! I am going to give it a try. I am not completely satisfied with the GlowInc stuff that I used.
    You can't go wrong with Anchor. For around $10, you get enough to do several watches. It's not superluminova, but it's pretty decent. The only downside is that it doesn't come in different colors, and it dries a darker off-white than the stock Vostok lume, which is bright white (likely because they "cut" the lume powder with non-luminous white powder). I'm actually curious about the stuff from watchlume.com, which comes in different colors (including white) and is available pre-mixed in a syringe. I went for the old school charm of the Anchor lume, but I'd be interested if anyone has feedback on the watchlume stuff, which isn't much more expensive...

Hmm... I found the Anchor binding agent to dry too fast, after applying two dots, it gets a bit too thick and sticky and it refuses to stick to the surface by staying as a sphere at the end of the applicator. It would be good to have a slow-drying, much runnier binding agent which would make application easier, that would keep the lume dots as small as desired too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Hmm... I found the Anchor binding agent to dry too fast, after applying two dots, it gets a bit too thick and sticky and it refuses to stick to the surface by staying as a sphere at the end of the applicator. It would be good to have a slow-drying, much runnier binding agent which would make application easier, that would keep the lume dots as small as desired too.
    I think the issue is that it doesn't come with thinner, where other relume kits like A*F have powder, binder and thinner. I don't blame the lume for any lack of precision with this relume job, though -- that's more due to my lack of patience! I didn't have a problem getting the stuff to stick to the dial (maybe this dial is more cooperative than others), but it would have been nice to not have to worry as much about the lume compound drying. I might pick up a small bottle of Testors thinner (typically for use w/ enamel paint) and see how that works on my next job.
    Last edited by Mister Mike; February 16th, 2012 at 05:41.

That's the issue I had with the GlowInc stuff, it gets tacky REALLY fast. However, it is pre-mixed, so you can dip it right out of the container. I'd like to use the Anchor and the watchlume.com stuff for comparison. Work my way up to SuperLuminova. Again, that's a good job on the Komandirskie...I'm of the opinion that a re-lume like that wouldn't hurt the resale value much at all. It might even bring more $, who knows? Thanks for the tip on the watchlume.com!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information