--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 10
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    If you are on a budget, I recommend The AF Swiss individual pieces. So, so much better than the cheap sets; though I bought an ultra cheap set for the pouch.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/af...8a?code=S1512E
    They have a nice heft to them, a hexagonal head so they won't roll around with evenly & cleanly machined blades. They should accept higher grade replacement blades later should you choose. Start with 0.60mm(Pink), 0.08mm(yellow), 1.00mm(black), 1.20 mm(red) & buy others as necessary.
    Thank you very much for the advice, much appreciated! I'll take a good look at them, and I guess the sizes you mention will be suitable for the Vostok screws!?

--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Deleted: Misquote
    Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus | NTH Amphion Vintage | Seikos old and new | A heap of Vostok Amphibians | A handful of Raketas | A pile of Timexes

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    I'll make sure to check it out! So I guess it got cheaper thanks to BREXIT! Thank you Nigel Farage (who BTW has just recently been on a visit to Sweden)!
    At least someone is getting something good from it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    24 Hours likes this.
    Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus | NTH Amphion Vintage | Seikos old and new | A heap of Vostok Amphibians | A handful of Raketas | A pile of Timexes

Thank you very much for the advice, much appreciated! I'll take a good look at them, and I guess the sizes you mention will be suitable for the Vostok screws!?
    Yes, Vostoks are the only watches I have done any serious work on to date. I believe the 1mm fits the rotor screw - which is the largest screw in the movement to my knowledge. Either the 0.6 or 0.8mm fit the dial screw, which is one of the smallest.

I obtained those 4 sizes from an article regarding screwdrivers.
    https://www.eternaltools.com/blog/co...s-screwdrivers
    And I must have read elsewhere to add the 0.6mm pink to the list of essential sizes & ditch the 1.4mm.

Regarding hand removers, I went for levers for the manual nature of them and so that nothing obstructs my view during the operation. I've been happy with these for the cost; very easy to use:
    2pcs Metal Precision Watch Hand Remover Pin Lever Replace Watchmaker Repair Tool | eBay
    24 Hours and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    ďMay the power of the cosmos be with you.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by dmnc View Post
    At least someone is getting something good from it all.
    WARNING OT (and I won't repeat it)!

Actually, I'm in deep admiration of the British people who had the backbone to vote in favor for leaving the union and thereby paving the way for the other nations within the EU (now reduced to mere "member states"). I myself have completely lost confidence in this project and will - if the opportunity comes - work for a SWEXIT.

I'm positively convinced the British people - in the long run - made the right decision!
    Last edited by 24 Hours; November 8th, 2016 at 20:52.
    Tarquin and Matt_Bored_O like this.

Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    Yes, Vostoks are the only watches I have done any serious work on to date. I believe the 1mm fits the rotor screw - which is the largest screw in the movement to my knowledge. Either the 0.6 or 0.8mm fit the dial screw, which is one of the smallest.

I obtained those 4 sizes from an article regarding screwdrivers.
    https://www.eternaltools.com/blog/co...s-screwdrivers
    And I must have read elsewhere to add the 0.6mm pink to the list of essential sizes & ditch the 1.4mm.

Regarding hand removers, I went for levers for the manual nature of them and so that nothing obstructs my view during the operation. I've been happy with these for the cost; very easy to use:
    2pcs Metal Precision Watch Hand Remover Pin Lever Replace Watchmaker Repair Tool | eBay
    Wow,thank you so much for this Saturnine! So far, my watch tool shopping has left much to be desired so I will definitely follow you advice!

Repair and Maintenance:

How a Vostok is Produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-JMoUoMtXo

-- Dmitry of Meranom can be seen in the video

------------------------

Watch Repair Techniques for all mechanical watches

videos:

Mark Lovick: YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jewldood

- his videos are easy to understand, clear explanations and good quality video image
    - he is developing a watch repair course. Available soon.

---------------------

How To: Service Vostok 22xx and 24xx

- disassemble
    - assemble
    - clean
    - lubricate

Most of the videos below are produced by Ratfaced Git (WUS member)
    - excellent series of videos. Recommended by many WUS members

- other Russian / Soviet movements are found also at his YouTube site:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOY...rQyABow/videos

------------------------

- manual wind - without Calendar

videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOY...ry=Vostok+2209

- see also: 2214
    - it is identical except:
    -- uses Hand pinion wheels of different heights
    -- there is no Date (Calendar) Wheel and its required parts

------------------------

2214 - manual wind - with Calendar

videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOYdWxkj-MVAHaYnrQyABow/search?query=Vostok+2214

------------------------

2409 - manual wind - without Calendar

videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOY...ry=Vostok+2409

- see also: 2414a

------------------------

2414a - manual wind - with Calendar

Forum tutorials:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-caliber-2414-service-notes-very-long-many-pics-226237.html

videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B073_zwyIS4

-----------------------------

2415b automatic - without Calendar

videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k64jsvCuWEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwH6lgSygaI

- see also: 2416b

------------------------

2416b automatic - with Calendar

Forum tutorials:

Sunday Afternoon Vostok Servicing!

Vostok 2416b Service notes

Spanish forum tutorial: it is written in Spanish

http://www.hablemosderelojes.com/forum/showthread.php?75321-Vostok-2416b-Notas-de-Servicio-%28Komandirskie-K-34%29

videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOYdWxkj-MVAHaYnrQyABow/search?query=Vostok+2416

-------------------------------------------------------------

- more guides will be added to this section: subscribe to the entire 'Guide' to receive notifications

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- vintage units: 2209 and 2214 : these are very similar to the modern 24xx units
    -- some of the movement parts are not interchangeable between the vintage and modern units:
    if you must replace a part and you need more information please post your questions to the Russian Forum or to this Guide

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- if you find errors or a link or photo in this Guide which does not function, please send me a PM

Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; November 11th, 2016 at 05:00.
    igorIV, 24 Hours, Coug76 and 2 others like this.

Oh, I completely missed that disclaimer, thanks! Anyway, I wasn't really planning on a glass case back so I guess I'm not too disappointed, although it would have been nice, especially at that price point. I was lucky to get one of the AMPHIBIAN SE 020678S and it has a few of those golden parts and the decorated oscillating weight. It looks really great!
    If you really want a nicer rotor:
    Vostok 24 Caliber Watch Movement Gilded Oscillating Weight Meranom.com
    24 Hours and Matt_Bored_O like this.

July 2015 I was casually browsing eBay for Amphibians when all of a sudden I saw an ad for the SE 710555S. After two seconds I had made up my mind to win the auction at (almost) any cost, and I did. At this time I had never heard of the SE Amphibians or meranom.com selling these SE watches. When the watch finally arrived I was extremely pleased and it immediately became my favourite watch. Itís a watch that I feel confident wearing in any situation. It also sparked an increased interest in automatic and mechanical watches and the inexplicable desire to tinker with them.

This tinkering desire unfortunately led me to tinker with my SE 710555S. I really should have bought a used Amphibian with a 2415 movement to play around with first but I didnít. After all, how hard could it be!? Although I was very careful when playing watchmaker I canít help but suspect it was this tinkering with all the wrong tools and wrong lighting (I did make a few mistakes) that eventually led to the problems that developed. All of a sudden it would stop running.

The problem could very likely be that which Matt_Bored_O suggested, i.e. a ďbad tooth or debris on the 'Hour wheel' (gear) which controls the movement of the Hour handĒ, or a problem with the reversing wheels. Now, I havenít yet looked into the first suggestion, but I decided to replace the reversing wheels and give it a try, which I did. However, after about 24 hours or so the movement would stop again. Eventually I will try to investigate the hour wheel, but for now I decided to replace the entire movement. More about this a bit later in this post!

One thing I learned while replacing the reversing wheels was this. When the new reversing wheels were in place and I had mounted the rotor on the rotor bridge I noticed that the rotor didnít spin quite freely. I then discovered that the reversing wheels werenít aligned on the same plane which resulted in the gears not connecting evenly. At first this really puzzled me as I had been very meticulous during every step of the reassembly. So, back to disassembly! However, as I stared to unscrew the three screws holding the rotor bridge the reversing wheels suddenly popped into place by themselves. Obviously one needs to make sure the three screws holding the rotor bridge are screwed down evenly by turns. After this, the rotor revolved freely without hooking up. Hereís an image to complement what Iím trying to say:

Name:  IMG_3616.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  369.3 KB

While Iím at it; someone new to this hobby might also appreciate to learn that the crown should be pulled out to the hand setting position before pressing down the crown release button (a toothpick makes a good tool for this) and pulling the crown out of the movement. I believe I learned this from saturnine (or possibly a post on WUS or from some YouTube video). If you donít do it like this it supposedly messes up the keyless works (I still have to learn what that is exactly) making it (very?) difficult to put the crown stem back into the movement. Now, whether this is really true I wouldnít know as I havenít tried to do it in any other way.

Name:  Crown Release Button.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  312.9 KB

Another thing Iíve learned is that when shoving back the crown stem into the movement it helps to first turn it 45 degrees so that the long side edge of the rectangular block at the end of the stem points upwards. I donít know how much sense that makes but Iíll try to illustrate it with some pictures below. Finally, if necessary, pinch the stem from the inside of the case with a tweezers and drag it a bit further into the movement until it clicks in.

Name:  stem wrong.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  78.4 KB
    Name:  stem right.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  72.0 KB

So, back to replacing the movement: Since the 710555S is driven by a 2415 movement I mistakenly thought all I would have to do would be to buy a new 2415 movement (USD $39.90), transfer the dial and hands to it, and mount it in the watch case. Well, it turned out the SE hands wonít fit a vanilla 2415 movement. Dang! I tried to get Meranom to supply me a new or used SE 2415 movement but never got a reply about it. However Dmitry at Meranom as well as Matt_Bored_O suggested I should ďmove the pinions from the SE to the new 2415Ē (the pinions being the only difference). However, at this stage of my ďwatchmaker careerĒ I didnít feel I was up to the task. So, I resolved to Matt_Bored_Oís next suggestion; to buy hands from IgorIV (you can see some of IgorIV's custom dials and hands here) and mount them on the vanilla 2415 movement, and thatís what I did. I also replaced the crown with a stainless steel crown from Meranom as I felt it better matched the brushed bezel (and for the fun of it too!).

Fitting the new hands proved a daunting task. I canít remember how many times I had to start all over. The really difficult part was fitting the minutes hand. It would constantly crash into the hour hand and eventually I made the mistake of bending the minute hand slightly upwards wrongly believing it would help (which it certainly didnít!). When I finally got the hour hand and minute hand working together the seconds hand got stuck on the minute hand. As I said, I canít remember how many times I had to fit, remove, and refit the hands. Eventually I got it all working but the margin between the minutes hand and the seconds hand is so small I can barely see it with my 20x magnifier. Anyway, as far as I can tell the hands are now revolving perfectly!

The original 710555S hands are sword shaped and I did order two pairs of those from IgorIV; gilded and silver. However, I also order a differently shaped set of hands which I eventually decided to use. I figured that since the watch now must be considered a mod (having a slightly different movement) I might as well mod the hands as well, and I am very pleased with the end result.

Overall I was very pleased with IgorIVís hands. The only problem was a bit of debris of something (lume?) on them. Anyway, this was easily removed as demonstrated at the beginning of this video by Dan (Ratfaced git). As a matter of fact my hands looked exactly like those seen in the video.

Finally Iíd like to thank Matt_Bored_O for his support and sharing his knowledge. Also, thank you IgorIV for the beautiful hands. Last but not least an especially big and warm thank you to saturnine whoís shared tons of information and links about Vostok watches, tools, and more. Without your help comrades Iím not sure I would have been able to succeed! So, Огромное спасибо!

Name:  IMG_3602.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  195.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3607.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  219.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3612.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  74.3 KB
    saturnine, Tarquin, congo and 2 others like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

...Another thing Iíve learned is that when shoving back the crown stem into the movement it helps to first turn it 45 degrees so that the long side edge of the rectangular block at the end of the stem points upwards. I donít know how much sense that makes but Iíll try to illustrate it with some pictures below. Finally, if necessary, pinch the stem from the inside of the case with a tweezers and drag it a bit further into the movement until it clicks in.
    I find it easier to use tweezers or a toothpick to wedge against the inside of the case & movement on the opposite side of the stem in order to push the movement closer to the stem & you will hear the good old Vostok click when the stem seats properly.

Fitting the new hands proved a daunting task. I canít remember how many times I had to start all over. The really difficult part was fitting the minutes hand. It would constantly crash into the hour hand and eventually I made the mistake of bending the minute hand slightly upwards wrongly believing it would help (which it certainly didnít!). When I finally got the hour hand and minute hand working together the seconds hand got stuck on the minute hand. As I said, I canít remember how many times I had to fit, remove, and refit the hands. Eventually I got it all working but the margin between the minutes hand and the seconds hand is so small I can barely see it with my 20x magnifier. Anyway, as far as I can tell the hands are now revolving perfectly!
    Indeed they can be tricky - see why I suggested before photos to help you align? I always thought that's how setting all watch hands were until I took apart an Invicta with a Seiko NH35A. Those hands set easily the 1st time & were perfectly parallel to each other, no further adjustment necessary. But hey, Vostoks are more interesting.

I also order a differently shaped set of hands which I eventually decided to use. I figured that since the watch now must be considered a mod (having a slightly different movement) I might as well mod the hands as well, and I am very pleased with the end result.
    What you installed on your SE are called Cathedral hands, FYI.

Overall I was very pleased with IgorIVís hands. The only problem was a bit of debris of something (lume?) on them. Anyway, this was easily removed as demonstrated at the beginning of this video by Dan (Ratfaced git). As a matter of fact my hands looked exactly like those seen in the video.
    That's a nice tip, thank you.

Finally Iíd like to thank Matt_Bored_O for his support and sharing his knowledge. Also, thank you IgorIV for the beautiful hands. Last but not least an especially big and warm thank you to saturnine whoís shared tons of information and links about Vostok watches, tools, and more. Without your help comrades Iím not sure I would have been able to succeed! So, Огромное спасибо!
    VarsŚgod!
    24 Hours likes this.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information