--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 18
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by little_w View Post
    ....They are meant to be worn and beaten up and used and abused... and loved in all that. ;)
    Indeed, thinking about this a bit more and looking at today's watch - 30 year old Komandirskie, which has been worn, beaten up and even melted (don't ask) and after a few minutes with tooth past is quite shiny, I think you are probably right, wear, enjoy, polish, repeat. (also, my late father in law's Ollech & Wajs Astro-Chron was almost unreadable before a little polish, now it is clear, but not perfect - on purpose, so its age still is evident)
    Current watches in use:

Omega Seamaster - 1960ish
    Seiko 5 (1988)
    Seiko Belmatic (1971)
    Vostok Komandirskie (199x bought new as USSR crumbled and these appeared in the UK)
    Ollech & Wajs Astro-Chron (Inherited from father-in-law)
    Poljot Aviator style constructed by third party from new parts

PS - would I be right in thinking that as his model numer is " 2416/420280" it is in a 420 case?

PPS - any idea what the name he has on the face translates as?
    Current watches in use:

Seiko 5 (1988)
    Seiko Belmatic (1971)
    Vostok Komandirskie (199x bought new as USSR crumbled and these appeared in the UK)

Yes, it is 420 case, dial no. 280 :) What name are you talking about? The 280 dial only has the standard text on dial:
    Line 1: Amphibian
    Line 2: Self-winding (i.e. automatic)
    Line 3: Water Resistant 200m
    Line 4: 31 Jewels (literally "stones")

Or are you talking about a different watch / text?

Doh! it is the Russian for Amphibia - so used to seeing "Komandirskie" on mine daily (at the moment) watch, plus looking at the AM-Diver watches, I thought it was a re-brand, like AM-Diver.
    Last edited by eserim; June 26th, 2017 at 22:09.
    Current watches in use:

Seiko 5 (1988)
    Seiko Belmatic (1971)

To the OP, great job/guide! Really helpful stuff!

Just wondering, i want to replace the gaskets (all 3 of them) but i can't seem to find where the procedure is explained. I think it would be under the "Repairs and Maintenance" section..

Is it perhaps not uploaded yet?

Quote Originally Posted by hoakin1981 View Post

Just wondering, i want to replace the gaskets (all 3 of them) but i can't seem to find where the procedure is explained. I think it would be under the "Repairs and Maintenance" section..

Thank you Hoakin.

I have not been well since Dec. of 2016 and I am often not at home since I must go to another city for medical treatment.

Also, there was a flood in my part of town in Oct. 2016 and my computer was destroyed. I lost some photos and instructions that I made for this guide. Unfortunately, the 'Guide' is not complete yet.

I want to thank those gents, especially Mario my Aussie friend, who have provided help and other useful info. to those who needed it.
    I started this guide but it is a place for questions and answers from all of us.

I am sure someone will answer your question of the gaskets soon. If not, I will return.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; July 9th, 2017 at 02:46.
    mariomart and Sansoni7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    Thank you Hoakin.

I have not been well since Dec. of 2016 and I am often not at home since I must go to another city for medical treatment.

Also, there was a flood in my part of town in Oct. 2016 and my computer was destroyed. I lost some photos and instructions that I made for this guide. Unfortunately, the 'Guide' is not complete yet.

I want to thank those gents, especially Mario my Aussie friend, who have provided help and other useful info. to those who needed it.
    I started this guide but it is a place for questions and answers from all of us.

I am sure someone will answer your question of the gaskets soon. If not, I will return.

Been wondering where you were. Good to know you're still around, still active and I hope you make full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by hoakin1981 View Post

The Three Seals of Vostok

1. Caseback: Replacing this should be straightforward

2. Crown: Take the crown/stem out of the movement & dig out the old gasket if necessary using a metal pick, toothpick, etc. Use canned air or similar to remove any old gasket debris. Drop the new seal over the stem & push into place with a toothpick or other small blunt tool. Don't worry too much, screwing down the crown should fully seat it.

3. Stem/crown tube: The most mysterious Vostok seal of all. This is a dust seal that resides inside the stem tube, behind a small metal washer. To replace it, pry the metal washer out with a small screwdriver (be gentle, it's thin) and then replace it. Then you can reseat the washer with a tube (or a reversed drill bit, or something like that) of the same dimension. The more you squeeze it, the more the stem will fit tight (but the seal will wear faster). (courtesy MessyGarage)

I put a light coating of silicon grease (bulb/dialectric grease) on the 2 larger seals. You can use an old water color brush or what I do (picked up this tip here or youtube); smash the end of a toothpick w/pliers or the back of a knife so that instead of narrowing to a point it is flattened. Then use a hobby knife & cut "bristles" into the flattened edge for a stiff brush the perfect size for Vostok seals.

EDIT:
    Here's the toothpick trick. This same video details everything save for the stem tube gasket:
    https://youtu.be/oScUq0GAqgg?t=5m13s
    Last edited by saturnine; July 10th, 2017 at 21:42.
    24 Hours and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    “May the power of the cosmos be with you.”

Finally having a weekend on my own (Kids with their grandparents. Wife out shopping with friends using my charge card . Nevertheless Yippee! ) I've (sort of) documented all 20 screws of the Vostok 2409 movement. I posted my result in a separate thread (for future use) named "Vostok Wostok восток Calibre 2409 Screw Diameters". The main purpose was to be able to mix all screws while cleaning them and then later be able to figure out which screw goes where. I hope you'll find it useful comrades!
    mariomart and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

“May the power of the cosmos be with you.”

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread Information