Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Protective film.
    siblingchris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    Protective film.
    I recommend using a toothpick, gets the film off without scratching the metal.

I’m planning on taking a Vostok 2415 of mine apart for servicing. Having serviced a few 2409s I’m familiar with most of the process but I need info on how to tackle the parts of the automatic winding system. I’m always afraid of damaging things and of springs and the like flying into space. I browsed Ratfaced Git’s videos but he only takes a 2415 (and 2416B) somewhat apart. Any tips on videos or posts on how to proceed?

Thanks comrades and have a nice weekend!
    Last edited by 24 Hours; 6 Days Ago at 10:09.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    (---) I need info on how to tackle the parts of the automatic winding system (---)
    Found it , and I think it should be helpful enough!
    ~ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Repair / Disassembly / Assembly: 22xx and 24xx

p. 10 post #97
    Ptolomeo74 and 24 Hours like this.

In preparation for eventually servicing a 2416B movement, I’m servicing a 2414A (my first) to make myself familiar with the date complication. Before this, I’ve only been working on 2409 movements which I’m now beginning to feel pretty well familiar with and this made me notice an unexpected difference.

The watch I’m working on is a "scrap" Komandirskie that I picked up on eBay for a few dollars. As can be seen in the picture it has the 3AKA3 label on the dial.

Name:  3AKA3_01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  94.1 KB

What I wonder is if the difference I found is related to the fact that it is a 2414A movement or the fact that it is a 3AKA3 "version", or that the explanation is something entirely different?

So, the difference I found is that the cannon pinion, the seconds hand pinion, and the cylinder of the hour wheel is taller than that of the 2409 movement. For example here is a picture of the cannon pinion of the 2414A (right) and the cannon pinion of a 2409 (left) side by side.

Name:  3AKA3_02.jpg
Size:  33.2 KB

My guess is that these parts need to be taller to make room for the date wheel, i.e. that it is a characteristic of the 2414A movement, and consequently, these parts (cannon pinion, seconds hand pinion, and hour wheel) are not interchangeable with the 2409 movement, no?

My next question concerns the hands. As can be seen in these pictures, the hands are rusty, and as can be seen on the dial, the underside of the hour hand has been scraping into the dial. I’d like to keep these hands but I need to get rid of the rust, at least on the underside of the hour hand. I’m afraid that if I try to scrape off the rust I’ll scrape off the corroded lume too. Any recommendation!? Out of curiosity, should I want to replace the hands, would standard 24xx hands fit?

Name:  3AKA3_03.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  81.7 KBName:  3AKA3_04.jpg
Size:  103.1 KB

EDIT:

As it's been a couple of days since I posted the above and no one has replied, I just want to add that I'm planning to dismantle one or two more 2414s in the coming months or so. I then hope to be able to conclude whether the taller cannon pinion, seconds hand pinion, and hour wheel is a characteristic of the 2414 or not. I'll report back then!
    Last edited by 24 Hours; 2 Days Ago at 08:48.
    ~ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I happy to report that comrade schnurrp has confirmed that the cannon pinion, seconds hand pinion, and hour wheel of the Vostok 2414A and the Vostok 2409 are not interchangeable. Valuable information, so thank you very much!

(I'm sure this information is available elsewhere on the Internet, perhaps even here on WUS, but hopefully, this post will be useful to some future wannabe Russian watchmaker just like me )
    Last edited by 24 Hours; 2 Hours Ago at 22:43.
    ~ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I forgot to mention that I made the replacement just a few days after I wrote the below post. It was a pretty straight forward operation. For anyone in the same situation looking for advice, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to assist!

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    Nine months ago or so while taking my first steps trying to learn a bit about watchmaking, Iím pretty sure I accidentally ruined my Amphibian SE 710555S and wasnít able to fix it. As I was so fond to this watch (itís still one of my definitive favorites) I decided to replace the movement with a brand new 2415 movement. The full story here.

It was only after this that I learned that the hands of the 2415 SE movement wouldnít fit the regular 2415 movement. Dmitry at Meranom.com then told me that what I had to do was to "replace the minute and second pins". At that time it was simply beyond my level of watchmaking knowledge, abilities, and tools to do so, so I decided to get some really beautiful hands from IgorIV (called cathedral hands, as I later learned from saturnine) and mount them on the normal 2415 movement.

Now, nine months later Iím happy to say I have gained the knowledge, skills, and tools to make the replacement. So last night I emailed Dmitry and asked him if these were the parts he was referring to (please see the images), and he very quickly confirmed it was. Фантастика!
    Attachment 12439715
    Seconds hand pinion (seconds pin)

Attachment 12439719
    Cannon pinion (minute pin)

Now, Dmitry refers to these parts as the "minute pin" and the "second pin". Generally, I believe these parts are called "cannon pinion" (minute pin) and "seconds hand pinion" (seconds pin), but please correct me if Iím wrong!

I didnít think I would have to ask Dmitry to confirm this because I had gotten myself a digital precision vernier caliper with a repeatability of 0.01 millimeters with the plan of simply comparing the measurements of these parts. However, as the differences in diameters were minimal (to say the least) I still decided to get in touch with Dmitry to make absolutely sure.

I still havenít made the replacement but plan to do so soon. Once finished Iíll let you know how it worked out and hopefully, Iíll have the time to make a guide about how to do it.

I guess the following info isnít super useful and may not be 100 % precise, but for what itís worth here are my measuring results.

Seconds hand pinion diameter of the top section (right were the second's hand is fitted):
    2415: 0.17
    millimetres.
    2415SE: 0.17
    millimetres.
    No difference!

Seconds hand pinion height:
    2415: 5.28 millimeters.
    2415SE: 5.69 millimeters.

Cannon pinion diameter of the top section (right where the minute hand is fitted):
    2415: 0.85
    millimetres.
    2415SE: 0.87 millimetres.

Cannon pinion height:
    2415: 2.62
    millimetres.
    2415SE: 2.57 millimetres.
    ~ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread Information