--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 3
Like Tree328Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying and Modifying VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by infinitesd View Post
    Why is this not a sticky yet?

I have asked one of the Moderators to make it a sticky.

I actually have no idea how the system works...

I would like to create a PDF version that people can download. I have no idea how that is done either.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattbeme View Post
    I have asked one of the Moderators to make it a sticky.

I actually have no idea how the system works...

I would like to create a PDF version that people can download. I have no idea how that is done either.
    I've created a link on the Articles sub-forum back to this thread for the benefit of those who have not yet subscribed.

As for posting a PDF; I think you should be able to attach it (i.e. upload to the forum from your hard-drive) the same as a photo.
    mattbeme likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Banned

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Thanks so much for putting this together mattbeme. This is awesome and can be very helpful. The good stuff!

"Of course, since the Amphibia is such an affordably priced watch, sometimes problems do occur and some buyers have had
    movements which were not oiled sufficiently or will simply stop several times a day for no apparent reason.
    In most cases, the problem seems to be that the crown needs to be firmly tapped back into the case after setting or the watch
    may stop running. As the movement 'breaks-in', this problem usually seems to disappear. Don't let this stop you from purchasing one;
    the recommended sellers of new Amphibias will honor their guarantees and will do what is necessary to solve the problem."

I'm glad you said this. This is what stops me from buying Vostoks because this happened to every one of my previous Vostoks, even the broken in.

They should redesign the whole movement.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    I'm glad you said this. This is what stops me from buying Vostoks because this happened to every one of my previous Vostoks, even the broken in.

They should redesign the whole movement.
    Yes, these problems need to be eliminated. Vostok is slowly gaining renewed popularity here in the West and if they do not address these problems, their reputation will suffer.

I am an enthusiastic supporter of Vostok but I will not pretend that the watches do not have problems.

The oil / lubrication problem seems to be more rare than the movement stop - stem position problem.

I used the term 'usually disappears' because, as you say, the problem does not always disappear.

I wonder if the problem is within the 'keyless works'. Perhaps there is a small part whose surface or bore or tooth is too rough and needs to be polished smooth. These movements, as all lower priced movements, are made predominantly by automated machines. They are assembled by hand, but because of their lower price, the individual parts are not inspected as thoroughly as expensive movements. So, rough and ill fitting parts may be used, causing problems for a few owners.

Please note: the 2414 and 2409 manual wind movements have an excellent reputation with very few complaints.

I always assemble Amphibia from separate parts, so I can choose which movement I will install. I like to use the 2414 because it has a low price, it is very reliable and is easy to repair. I also like it because it is a manual wind which gives me a more personal 'connection' to my watches since I have to wind them each day.

Vostok administrators do read some of our complaints here at WUS and they do take these complaints seriously. Hopefully they will solve these problems.

Also, it appears that nearly every WUS person who had a problem with their 2415/6 movements, have had success in receiving a replacement or a full refund of their money.
    Last edited by mattbeme; May 12th, 2016 at 04:21.
    oskita89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    "......In most cases, the problem seems to be that the crown needs to be firmly tapped back into the case after setting..."

I will also add that some owners have said that the watch will stop unless the crown is unscrewed slightly or not screwed down too tightly.

This makes me suspect that this particular problem may be in the 'keyless works'.

Just getting interested in the Vostoks and tripped over this thread-- what an outstanding piece of work. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
    Just getting interested in the Vostoks and tripped over this thread-- what an outstanding piece of work. Thanks.
    You are just the type of person I had in mind when I decided to spend so many hours with this project. It is not yet finished.

I myself prefer to have information that is clear, easy to understand and helpful. This forum has been a great source of help for me.

For the most part, this 'Guide' is a collection of the experience and wisdom of many of the great people here.
    Last edited by mattbeme; May 12th, 2016 at 04:34.
    Chascomm and CMcG like this.

Top notch guide!!!!! Thumb up for you.
    Davide - Rome - Italy

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mattbeme View Post
    Have a go at it. If you make a mistake, just brush over the area again. If, in the future, you want to restore the original polished finish, simply rub it with progressively finer grades of sandpaper or compound then finish with a fine metal polish.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes with these watches.

Many of us here have modded or repaired our Vostoks and we can help anyone mod or repair their own Vostok.
    I picked up this Radio Room cheap off pre-loved so thought I'd give brushing a go. I'm a little clumsy and often manage to mess up stuff like this , but it's actually not that difficult. I'm sure others are quicker and get better results but for a first attempt I'm pleased with the results. Anybody considering this but like me afraid of messing up a decent watch, mistakes really are easy to correct. Thanks Matt for this guide and encouraging people like me to have a go.
    BEFORE
    Name:  WP_20160519_002_kindlephoto-104541793.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  393.2 KB

AFTER
    Name:  WP_20160519_005.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  1.50 MB

Name:  WP_20160519_006_kindlephoto-104630050.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  361.2 KB
    Chascomm, joeuk, REDSWAN13 and 4 others like this.
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

Hidden Content

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information