--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 8
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

I have received a message from AM-Watches / AM-Diver concerning the information I have written in this Guide.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Matt,

we were very pleased to see that we are mentioned by you in "A Guide", thank you very much!

I am writing to ask you to correct, if possible, some details:

1. We are listed as ebay sellers only (counter-alphabetically, at the end).
    This is, in principle, correct, but our main market is our online shops,
    all well known to WUS members: am-watches.com, am-diver.com and am-diver.de

We are official importers of Vostok production to EU with all parts except bezels and straps being produced at Chistopol Watch Factory.
    Our trademarks "am-watches" and "am-diver" are officially registered.

2. Our bezels are not compatible with Seiko inserts.
    They are produced in Germany and all designs are patented in Germany.

3. The coupon code is valid only for am-diver.com online store.

I would be grateful to you if you consider modifying the information provided in that thread.

Kind regards,
    Tanja

----------------------------------------------------
    I have added the bold letters and italics

I am currently unable to correct the main body of the Guide on page 1.

When the Guide is complete, I will create a PDF version to download.
    I will make all necessary corrections to this final version.

Matt B.
    igorIV, AM-DIVER and Sansoni7 like this.

In a previous post I had written that the ebay seller: koche-vikto, was listing the Komandirskies he sells
    as 'Stainless Steel'.

I had contacted him several times to report this error and he assured me that the listings would be corrected.

Several listings at that time were corrected.

However, it appears again that all the listings for his Komandirskies are using this false information.

I don't know the reason for this error but I think that there will be buyers who are unaware of the chrome plated brass case and believe that
    they will receive a stainless steel case.

There is a temptation to list a chrome plated brass watch as 'stainless steel'.
    Many people prefer stainless.

I do not want to condemn this seller or turn people away from his store.
    His prices are good and there are some good remarks about him in this forum.

Is the seller deliberately misleading people ?

As with any seller: be careful, research the ratings and demand the seller correct any problem you have with their product or service.

------------------------------------------------------
    Here are excerpts from one of his current listings:

Vostok Komandirskie

Item specifics

Case Material: Stainless Steel
    Accuracy and reliability, beauty and functionality withstood the test of time and are the secret of their popularity. If earlier shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof watch case was manufactured mainly from stainless steel or brass, but now mostly it's only brass.....

Features:- Case Stainless steel

----------------------------------------------------------------

-- this listing is confusing for those who are not familiar with Komandirskie.
    He says 'mostly it's only brass' but twice lists it as 'Stainless Steel'.

Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; November 1st, 2016 at 09:58.
    Sansoni7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    In a previous post I had written that the ebay seller: koche-vikto, was listing the Komandirskies he sells
    as 'Stainless Steel'.

I had contacted him several times to report this error and he assured me that the lis
    [SIZE=2][FONT=trebuchet ms]tings would be corrected.

Several listings at that time were corrected.

However, it appears again that all the listings for his Komandirskies are using this false information.

I don't know the reason for this error but I think that there will be buyers who are unaware of the chrome plated brass case and believe that
    they will receive a stainless steel case.

There is a temptation to list a chrome plated brass watch as 'stainless steel'.
    Many people prefer stainless.

I do not want to condemn this seller or turn people away from his store.
    His prices are good and there are some good remarks about him in this forum.

Is the seller deliberately misleading people ?

As with any seller: be careful, research the ratings and demand the seller correct any problem you have with their product or service.
    I bought a Komandirskie from this seller because the listing had a particular bezel I wanted and could not find elsewhere. The bezel received was different than was pictured in the listing; however, koche-vikto resolved the matter quickly & to my satisfaction. I would buy from them again with the caveat to verify details prior to purchase.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.
    “May the power of the cosmos be with you.”

Quote from the first post on this thread:

"In most cases, the problem seems to be that the crown needs to be firmly tapped back into the case after setting or the watch
    may stop running."

I've had some stopping problems with one of my 2415 driven Amphibans (
    SE 710555S) and have been looking for a solution. However, I'm pretty new to mechanical/automatic watches and I guess that's why I don't understand what it means to "firmly tap back the crown into the case". The way I see it all I can do is screw down the crown and hope for the best, no? If someone could elaborate or explain this in more detail I'd be really happy.

Anyway, for the first time in my life I removed the crown/stem from the movement yesterday but I was (at first) unable to put it back into place. I was able to screw down the crown and wind the watch but trying to set the time the stem would come off by itself (very frustrating!). Eventually, I pinched the stem from inside the case and pressed it into the movement while also pressing and releasing the release button a few times. That appears to have fixed the problem and the crown/stem now sits where it should and works properly. P
    hew!

Since yesterday the movement seems to be running just fine (knock on wood)... Anyway, I'd really like to understand what it means to "firmly tap back the crown into the case"? Thanks!
    Last edited by 24 Hours; November 2nd, 2016 at 20:23.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    Quote from the first post on this thread:

"In most cases, the problem seems to be that the crown needs to be firmly tapped back into the case after setting or the watch
    may stop running."...........

I've had some stopping problems with one of my 2415 driven Amphibans (
    SE 710555S) and have been looking for a solution.........

...... I'd really like to understand what it means to "firmly tap back the crown into the case"? Thanks!

Some owners have reported that when they have a Amphibia which suffers from the mysterious 'stopping' problem, they are able to fix it by unscrewing the crown and pulling it out to the time setting position. After setting to the correct time, they will tap or bang the watch down onto a hard surface, crown down.
    Then, the crown is screwed down as normal.

Sometimes this fixes the problem permanently, sometimes it solves nothing.

We don't know exactly why this may sometimes fix the problem.

However, there appears to be some units with a possible problem in the 'keyless works'.
    This is the system of gears and sliding levers, activated by the stem, which engage the winding system and the time setting system.

Also, some units have 'reverser / reversing wheels' which may seize permanently or occasionally.
    Most likely the clutch mechanism in one of the wheels seizes and this can cause the entire movement to stop.

So, if either of these problems cause an automatic Vostok movement to stop, it may be possible to re-start the movement
    if the watch is tapped sharply. If the problem is in the keyless works, then it seems reasonable to assume that by giving the crown
    a quick tap, the offending part in the keyless works may be knocked back into its correct position or made free again.

However, if a reversing wheel clutch is seized, this may not free it.
    The wheel will have to be replaced or a very small amount of the correct oil may possibly free it and possibly prevent seizure in the future.

---- Only Vostok Automatics are affected ----

2409 and 2414 Manual units do not appear to be affected by these problems.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; November 3rd, 2016 at 00:13.
    24 Hours and Sansoni7 like this.

Thank you very much Matt_Bored_O for this explanation! So I take it that we actually tap or bang the head of the crown onto a hard surface and thereby - with high velocity - shove the stem back into the movement (as far as it goes as the winding crown tube will prevent the stem from going all the way into the movement)? Please bear with me for being so winded about this, but if I'm going to try it I want to make sure I got it right.

Anyone who actually tried this? What's you experience? Thank you!
    D.Serigala likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    So I take it that we actually tap or bang the head of the crown onto a hard surface and thereby - with high velocity - shove the stem back into the movement (as far as it goes as the winding crown tube will prevent the stem from going all the way into the movement)?

Anyone who actually tried this? What's you experience? Thank you!

Yes, your understanding of the 'method' is correct.

I have tried this with a Amphibia that was stopping occasionally, but it did not help.

There are a few in the forum who have used this odd 'technique'. Hopefully they will read this and respond.

Since the time I wrote of that method, we have had a few more discussions in the forum concerning the problem of seizure.

In my previous post, I mentioned our greater understanding of the possible causes.

I now would not recommend this particular method.

It now appears that few people solve the problem in this manner.

Also, if the crown is tapped with too much force against the threaded case tube, the threads of the crown may be damaged.
    The case tube is titanium and therefore is of a harder metal than the crown, regardless if the new crowns are made of stainless steel.
    So, the case tube threads would most likely not be damaged.

I included initially this strange method or 'repair' because it was the only repair mentioned in the forum.

I would recommend only to remove the stem and re-install it using tweezers to push the stem fully into the movement ensuring that it engages fully.
    You will hear a slight 'click' when it seats properly.

If the movement seizure is caused by a problem in the 'keyless works', re-installing the stem may help. It may also do nothing to help.

If the problem is seizure of a Reversing Wheel, then a sharp tap against the case may free it. It may also not free it.
    The repair is to replace the seized Reversing Wheel.
    Lubricating it may free it and prevent future seizure.

Currently, there is clear answer for the problem IF the Reversing Wheels are not seized.
    The problem may then possibly be in the keyless works.

Currently, there is no proven permanent repair known for this. If there is, it has not been discussed in the forum.

Here is the most recent discussion:

Why do Vostok Amphibian automatics fail?
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; November 5th, 2016 at 03:42.
    24 Hours and Sansoni7 like this.

Where can I buy a clean bronze bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
    Where can I buy a clean bronze bezel?
    Sellers are listed in the main part of the Guide on page 1 of this thread.
    24 Hours likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    Yes, your understanding of the 'method' is correct.
    I would recommend only to remove the stem and re-install it using tweezers to push the stem fully into the movement ensuring that it engages fully.
    You will hear a slight 'click' when it seats properly.
    Again, thank you very much Matt_Bored-O, much appreciated!

As I didn't want to risk damaging the watch, I actually - and spontaneously - did what you describe and recommend in the quote (see my first post on this topic). Pressing in the stem into the movement using my watch tweezers was actually an act of desperation as I couldn't get the stem to fully attach in other way. I can report that my beloved Vostok Amphibia SE 710555S has been running fine since (knock on wood). Of course, I can't know for sure it has fixed the problem permanently. Only time will tell but I would't be surprised if it did the trick.
    Last edited by 24 Hours; November 5th, 2016 at 23:26.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information