--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 9
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    (---) Only time will tell but I would't be surprised if it did the trick.
    I'm afraid this morning the movement had stopped again. It would seem that when it stops it always happens somewhere around 08:40. Oh well, maybe this is my cue from the watch gods it's about time I learn how to change a watch movement, and fortunately I should be able to cope with the cost.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

.... the movement had stopped again.

.....it always happens somewhere around 08:40.
    I suspect there is a bad tooth or debris on the 'Hour wheel' (gear) which controls the movement of the Hour hand.

When this bad spot engages with the mechanism, the bad tooth or debris prevents turning of the wheel and so the Hour hand and the
    movement stops.
    24 Hours likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    I suspect there is a bad tooth or debris on the 'Hour wheel' (gear) which controls the movement of the Hour hand.

When this bad spot engages with the mechanism, the bad tooth or debris prevents turning of the wheel and so the Hour hand and the
    movement stops.
    Thanks for the tip! I've more or less made up my mind to change the movement. I usually shop my Russian watches from Meranom.com and their 2415 movement looks really nice ($39.90) with its decorated oscillating weight and golden screws and wheels. Once replaced I'll take a closer at the 'Hour wheel' (gear) and see what I possibly can do about it. If I can fix it I guess I'll be looking into buying a case, dial, hands, strap, and so on for it...

Anyway, I'll be needing a few more tools before I go ahead, like a hand remover and a few decent screw drivers. Speaking of tools, where could I find a good on-line shop for watch tools in Europe? Have been looking at this shop.
    Last edited by 24 Hours; November 6th, 2016 at 22:11.

Thanks for the tip! I've more or less made up my mind to change the movement. I usually shop my Russian watches from Meranom.com and their 2415 movement looks really nice ($39.90) with its decorated oscillating weight and golden screws and wheels. Once replaced I'll take a closer at the 'Hour wheel' (gear) and see what I possibly can do about it. If I can fix it I guess I'll be looking into buying a case, dial, hands, strap, and so on for it...

Anyway, I'll be needing a few more tools before I go ahead, like a hand remover and a few decent screw drivers. Speaking of tools, where could I find a good on-line shop for watch tools in Europe? Have been looking at this shop.
    Cousins UK have everything and if you're outside the UK it all just got cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    24 Hours and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus | NTH Amphion Vintage | Seikos old and new | A heap of Vostok Amphibians | A handful of Raketas | A pile of Timexes

....... made up my mind to change the movement.

I usually shop my Russian watches from Meranom.com and their 2415 movement looks really nice ($39.90) with its decorated oscillating weight and golden screws and wheels.
    I am sorry to disappoint you: Most probably you will receive the standard 2415 and not the beautiful example shown at Meranom.

That decorated unit is a special edition and Meranom does not sell it separately, AFAIK.
    I am sure that it would sell for more than $39.90.

In the description of each movement it is written:

"Appearance and specification may be different from the ones shown in the photo."
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; November 7th, 2016 at 07:43.
    24 Hours likes this.

Reversing Wheels:

Vostok automatic such as Amphibia or Komandirskie K35 :

Some units experience a failure of one of the Reversing Wheels.
    These gears contain a clutch designed to engage and disengage very quickly as the rotor (oscillating weight)
    swings around when you wear the watch.

A few owners report that their Vostok stops completely or only occasionally.

Some of these owners have discovered that the problem was caused by the seizure of one of the Reversing Wheels.
    The clutch had locked and could not disengage.

Symptoms:

- the watch will stop : either occasionally or completely
    - the rotor (oscillating weight) may (or may not) spin very fast when you attempt to wind the watch manually
    -- you may hear the sound of the rotor spinning or see it spin if you remove the case back cover
    - if you remove the case back cover and attempt to move the rotor manually, you should see one or both
    Reversing Wheels fail to turn. They may also resist turning and you will feel resistance against the rotor.
    -- reversing wheels which are functioning normally will not apply resistance against the movement of the rotor
    and they will turn freely in both directions.

Repair:

It is possible that the application of a quality watch oil such as Moebius 9010, can free the clutch and allow it to
    function temporarily or perhaps indefinitely.
    Only a very small quantity of oil is required.

However, it is probable that you must replace the wheel.

Name:  reversing_wheel.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  80.5 KB
    photo: Meranom
    - rotor (oscillating weight) has been removed

Reversing Wheel Clutch

Name:  rev wheel clutch.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  159.4 KB
    photo: mine
    - the top cover has been removed

1. Jewel Roller / Bearing
    2. Centre Hub
    3. Ramp

When the rotor spins, a small gear under the rotor turns the reversing wheels.
    If the wheel in the photo is turned clock-wise, the disc shaped roller jewels move up the 'ramps'.
    Notice that the ramps are not straight but curve slightly toward the centre.
    This causes the roller jewels to lock against the centre hub which then turns the shaft and pinion underneath.
    This pinion turns the winding gear train which winds the Mainspring.

When the wheel turns counter clock-wise, the roller jewels move down the ramps to the position in the photo.
    The clutch is now disengaged or un-locked.

If one or more of the jewels locks against the centre hub and cannot un-lock or disengage, the entire wheel will become
    locked. This is a seizure of the clutch and wheel.

The entire wheel (gear) and clutch system is replaced as a complete unit.
    It is not necessary or advised to replace only the roller jewels or the separate tooth gear / wheel.

Sellers:

Meranom: online store (Russia)

- now sells separately the Reversing Wheels
    - they are not sold as pairs; only individually
    - look in the sections: "Movements" and "Spare Parts"

favinov: ebay (Russia)

- they are not sold as pairs; only individually
    - search: "First Double Wheel"

I recommend to purchase 2 or more.

It is best to have one or more spare wheels for possible future repairs, especially if you own more than one Vostok automatic.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; November 8th, 2016 at 09:20.
    Tarquin and 24 Hours like this.

If you are on a budget, I recommend The AF Swiss individual pieces. So, so much better than the cheap sets; though I bought an ultra cheap set for the pouch.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/af...8a?code=S1512E
    They have a nice heft to them, a hexagonal head so they won't roll around with evenly & cleanly machined blades. They should accept higher grade replacement blades later should you choose. Start with 0.60mm(Pink), 0.08mm(yellow), 1.00mm(black), 1.20 mm(red) & buy others as necessary.
    24 Hours and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    “May the power of the cosmos be with you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    I am sorry to disappoint you: Most probably you will receive the standard 2415 and not the beautiful example shown at Meranom.

That decorated unit is a special edition and Meranom does not sell it separately, AFAIK.
    I am sure that it would sell for more than $39.90.

In the description of each movement it is written:

"Appearance and specification may be different from the ones shown in the photo."
    Oh, I completely missed that disclaimer, thanks! Anyway, I wasn't really planning on a glass case back so I guess I'm not too disappointed, although it would have been nice, especially at that price point. I was lucky to get one of the AMPHIBIAN SE 020678S and it has a few of those golden parts and the decorated oscillating weight. It looks really great!

Quote Originally Posted by dmnc View Post
    Cousins UK have everything and if you're outside the UK it all just got cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll make sure to check it out! So I guess it got cheaper thanks to BREXIT! Thank you Nigel Farage (who BTW has just recently been on a visit to Sweden)!

Thank you Matt_Bored_O for the "Reversing Wheels" article. Very informative and interesting reading indeed! I'm pretty sure my 2415 movement doesn't suffer from the symptoms you list but I'll definitely take another look and report back should I indeed have faulty reversing wheels.

Browsing through the Amphibian spare part section at meranom.com I had noticed that reversing wheel and wondered how come that particular part was listed. Guess now I know!
    Last edited by 24 Hours; November 9th, 2016 at 21:43.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information