Thread: how to use a Komandirskie

Question how to use a Komandirskie

Folks,

Total newbie here. I've been hooked on Russian watches now for a few weeks and finally, my very first Komandirskie, from 1993 has arrived. Now all I need to do is choose a strap and set the time!
    Edit: I should have mentioned it is a 17 jewel mechanism (2414A?).
    You all must be tired of being asked how to wind the watch and set the time/date...but I would really like to know. This is my first watch since my Tissot Autoquartz from 2000. So, 9 years later, I'm on a slippery slope of timepieces from Russia. Last year it was fountain pens!

So, I unscrew the crown and it is wobbly as I've read elsewhere.
    I gently pull on it as I wind the crown clockwise and it winds. But does it stop? is there a possibility of overwinding and thus breaking it? I would hate to do that.
    Pulling the crown further allows me to set the time. Is this correct? And the date? I have read elsewhere I just have to keep winding until I reach the right date. Will the date change in both the forwards direction as well as the backwards directions if I need to set the date to an earlier day?

I'd really appreciate this lesson for beginners...a link to other posts is fine. I'll post pics as soon as I get a strap.

cheers,
    Milo
    Last edited by milotime; March 4th, 2009 at 22:57. Reason: added info about mechanism

AID

Re: how to use a Komandirskie

1. Wind the spring until it's tight, however go slowly because if you push really hard you may brake the spring. It's not that fragile, I just want to make sure you get use to manual wind watch. In a couple of days you'll be able to wind them much faster once you get a "feel" of it.

2. Pulling crown allows you to set time and date. Date has a "Russian quick set". If you go past 12 and date chances, go back to 9 and back to 12 again, it will change to the next date. Much faster than going rounds around the dial.

3. Crown is suppose to be wobbly. It a screw in crown and it does not have a spring in it, so it's normal.

thank you AID admin...very easy to use. I didn't wind it all the way but will try that tomorrow. Time to order a strap from watchworx.co.uk

this video will also show you how to set the date if that helps... sorry for the poor quality. I'm planning to re-shoot this one with the better equipment we have now.

[youtube=""]<object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QDPbS6PpS6M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e 9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QDPbS6PpS6M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e 9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Thank you VEV 1138 and AID_admin for your help...I'm looking forward to posting again on the forum as soon as I get a strap for the watch.
    The interesting thing is I also received a document with the watch similar to what has been discussed on another recent thread. However, my document is dated 1993 and there is no watch number available. I'll photograph it together with the watch...else I could use the photos from the ebay sale (not sure what the copyright status is here).

cheers,
    Milo

pics or it didn't happen!
    you can post them without the strap, we don't give a ...
    and we (well I, but I'm sure others would be interested) would like to see the documents if you could scan them

:thanks

using this thread as a guide,
    Help translate details of Vostok Komandirskie Paperwork and repair question.

i figured my paper has no watch number and was issued in 1993.
    You can see pictures here. I would be very interested in feedback, but from what i've seen, and the seller's story, I'm thinking it was a safe purchase.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

The seller bought this watch from a woman who's son was in Russia during the break up of the USSR. He was helped by some Russians and to repay their help, bought some watches from them.

cheers,
    Milo

AID

Quote Originally Posted by milotime View Post
    You can see pictures here. I would be very interested in feedback, but from what i've seen, and the seller's story, I'm thinking it was a safe purchase.

cheers,
    Milo
    Yes, it looks like a correct box and papers. At least from what's shown in pictures. This is how they were sold in late 80's - early 90's.

Thread Information