Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Poljot 3133 Camel Trophy Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picture Poljot 3133 Camel Trophy Chronograph

My latest addition to the 3133 watchbox is a late 1989 /early 1990 Camel Trophy chronograph.

The Camel Trophy was a 4*4 endurance competition/expedition that was held in different locations around the globe between the years 1980 and 2000. The event was sponsored by Camel brand cigarettes owned by R.J. Reynolds tobacco.

Name:  ct3133_01.jpg
Views: 3711
Size:  104.2 KB

In 1990, the competition took place in the Soviet Union between the cities of Bratsk and Irkutsk on a route through the taiga and down the western shore of lake Baikal.

A vidoe of the event: 1990 Camel Trophy - Siberia - YouTube

Name:  ct3133_03.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  94.5 KB

My guess, based on the age of the movement, is that Poljot was commissioned to produce the watch by the organizers of the event prior to the event taking place. The entire design of this watch was very new and unique to anything Poljot had produce prior to 1990. Whether or not all of the components (other than the movement) were manufactured by Poljot, or one of it's regular suppliers, is unknown to me. However, the case design, in it's new stainless steel form, as well as similar minute and hour hands, are to this day still utilized by Poljot International.

Name:  ct3133_07.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  98.5 KB

The glass display back is very similar, if not identical, to another ca. 1990 Poljot chronograph that I own.

Name:  ct3133_06.jpg
Views: 2743
Size:  103.4 KB

And here's the best part of the watch...

the secret compartment!

Name:  ct3133_08.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  75.9 KB

Hey, how did she get in there?

Name:  ct3133_09.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  104.6 KB

In this wrist shot, you can just barely make out the tiny metal camel on the original black strap.

As you may know, Camel Trophy watches were not unique to this event. Check out this excellent Camel Trophy watch collection:
    Camel Trophy Adventure watch collection

Re: Poljot 3133 Camel Trophy Chronograph

Awesome! I never knew about this until now, but now there's another watch on my want list!

Weezy's a legend -- you can tell by the bottom of my sleeve when you see what's in the bezel

The watch is awesome and looks much better than on the ebay's add.

Congratulations!

I'd walk a mile for that watch ....

Wow! Another beauty, polmax3133! Truly amazing the designs that poured out of Russia "after the fall". I'm clinging to Soviet-era stuff to try to keep at least a semblance of order, but every time I see one of those Russian beauties I inch closer....

Not sure I understand the back. Does the hinged back cover the window? What's on the back?

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by watch22 View Post
    I'd walk a mile for that watch ....
    I'd RUN!!! And I'm OLD!!!

I should probably explain this reference. "I'd walk a mile for a camel" was a common advertising slogan for Camel cigarettes years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wouldn't you rather fight than switch? Now, how would THAT fly in our modern world?

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Wow! Another beauty, polmax3133! Truly amazing the designs that poured out of Russia "after the fall". I'm clinging to Soviet-era stuff to try to keep at least a semblance of order, but every time I see one of those Russian beauties I inch closer....

Not sure I understand the back. Does the hinged back cover the window? What's on the back?

Thanks for sharing.
    This is indeed a late Soviet watch, from 1990 (unless I'm misreading something).

I personally believe that the Soviet watch brands, Poljot and Vostok especially, were well-positioned in 1990 for expansion into western markets, as were other Soviet products. I remember a Newsweek article from that era announcing that the UAZ was going to be imported as a competitor to the Jeep Wrangler and the Suzuki Samurai.
    Then, the USSR fell. We expected that this would provide more of these opportunities, but instead, the resulting decline in quality in the early 1990s damged the global prospects for these brands.

Weezy's a legend -- you can tell by the bottom of my sleeve when you see what's in the bezel

Very nice watch! What's the dial and case dimensions?
    Thanks
    Dave

--------
    My Aviator watch collection @ http://www.myaviatorwatches.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information