WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Poljot 3133 Chrono and Power Reserve

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Mister Mike 
#1 ·
I got a Poljot Aviator III Chronograph with the 3133 movement.

Watch works fine when freshly wound, but when into 30-40hrs of its 60+ Power reserve, starting the chronograph would cause the time to stop (main seconds hand at 9 o'clock position). When the top chrono button is pushed again, the time continues as per normal.

Does a lower power reserve cause the 3133 movement's chronograph to stop functioning??

#3 ·
I know mine runs up to about 59 hours when the chronograph is not engaged. I must admit, I have never tried to use the chronograph anywhere near the 40 hours running mark, since I'm in the habit of winding it daily. The chronograph is an extra strain on the movement, so I guess it could be too much when the power reserve is low :think:

#4 ·
I timed it without running the chrono at all and this nice Russian watch clocked 63.5 hrs power reserve. However, it seems that running the chrono really drains the power. I don't use the chrono continously running, but about like 5-10 mins each time and about 1hr in total. For today, within 15 hrs after fully wound, it has this problem again.

A video of it can be seen here: YouTube - ‪Aviator Watch Issue‬‏

Is this typical of the 3133 movement? :-s

#5 ·
A test with a Strela 3133, done by a friend in HdR Spanish forum:

- Without chronograph : 64 hours and 39 minutes !

- With chronograph : Strela has stopped after 59 hours and 21 minutes (then, after stopped the chronograph, the watch continued working until 64 hours and 23 minutes)

#10 ·
I did not know. >60 hours is a good thing : )
I've been winding mine 2x per day.
I may have to refrain as painful as it would be.
Oh, and mine seems to be running -15 seconds per 24 hours. Not too bad.
I did leave the chrono running all night once and it didn't seem to affect accuracy.
Strange how the chrono affects power reserve, but not accuracy.

#8 ·
But it is exactly in the specs - you can not run the chrono after 40 hours of the reserve is gone (the limit is 37h for the chrono in the specs). There are some specimens which can run longer with chrono, OK, but the deviations in different movements is secured by the technical specifications, which specify the lowest acceptable values (as far as reserve is cocerned) and highest (when the deviation in the precision is concerned).

#12 ·
I have 2 Poljot 3133 movement watches so decided to test them out. (Seller sent me a replacement watch)

Results of my Power Reserve, Accuracy and Chrono Test:

Watch 1
Without chrono: 65hrs; +6s/day

With chrono: 61hrs; varies from -5 to -20s/day (Chrono caused the watch to stop at 36hrs 20mins, stopping the chrono and it ran till 61hrs)

Watch 2
Without chrono: 63hrs 22mins; -5s/day

With chrono: 63hrs 35mins; varies from +2 to -30s/day (Chrono caused the watch to stop at 59hrs 35mins, stopping the chrono and it ran till 63hrs 35mins)

In short, the Poljot 3133 movement has a great power reserve and highly accurate. The chrono function 'drains' some of this power and also slows accuracy when continuously used.

#14 · (Edited)
Your chronograph is out of adjustment.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/what%92s-wrong-my-chronograph-504772.html

Telling him to wind it once every 24 hours treats the symptom, not the cause. A 3133 should run around 50 hours with the chronograph engaged.

A weak mainspring is not likely as it would affect the power reserve in both the on and off condition, so the problem lies within the chronograph section. I'll bet the chronograph depth cam set too deep, and in low torque conditions, the drag is too much for the mainspring to handle.

Reactions: skapig
#15 ·
I guess blaming that on the warranty is out of the question, since my manual only says it should run 37 hours with the chronograph.

If Volmax is still printing this info in their manuals, I guess it's performing according to specs as far as they are concerned?

(Note: my Buran does run it's chrono untill it has run for about 52 hours, a bit earlier if a date change happens around the 50 hour mark).

#16 ·
Perhaps "out of adjustment" is the wrong term, "poorly adjusted" is better.

How well you adjust these thing affects the chrono-on power reserve. If they wish to save a few pennies by doing sloppy adjustments, they can loosen the requirements as necessary. You should be able to tweak the chronograph adjustments to get no more than a 10% to 20% drop in power reserve.

The same goes for stuttery second hands, jumping starts, and other chronograph quirks.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.