Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?
Like Tree903Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?

Page 1 of 317 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?

Please post here your questions to the forum community, when you suspect something wrong on a watch or just want to be sure. You will surely receive a quick answer from the many experts in different technical fields and different brands.

Do not post in the "
    Franken of the week" thread that is a showcase reserved for undisputably frankened timepieces.
    Last edited by emoscambio; July 28th, 2013 at 14:42.
    Авиатор ‣ АВР ‣ Аврора ‣ Агат ‣ Адмиральские ‣ Амфибия ‣ АЧВ ‣ АЧС ‣ Буран ‣ Волна ‣ Восток ‣ Генеральские ‣ Денисов ‣ Заря ‣ Звезда ‣ ЗиМ ‣ Кировские ‣ Командирские ‣ Луч ‣ Маяк ‣ Мир ‣ Молния ‣ Москва ‣ Наири ‣ Океан ‣ Орион ‣ Победа ‣ Полёт ‣ Пионер ‣ Ракета ‣ Родина ‣ Россия ‣ Сатурн ‣ Сигнал ‣ Слава ‣ Спортивные ‣ Спутник ‣ Стрела ‣ Хрусталь ‣ Чайка ‣ Штурманские ‣ Электроника ‣ ЯнтарьAlba ‣ Aspor ‣ AviatorSwiss ‣ Blonex ‣ Błonie ‣ Car'n'Driver ‣ Chateau ‣ Citizen ‣ Clipper ‣ Deuta ‣ Enicar ‣ Franklin ‣ Fuji ‣ Glashütte ‣ Glycine ‣ Gruen ‣ HenriGireaux ‣ Junghans ‣ Junkers ‣ Karex ‣ Lip ‣ LordElgin ‣ Mido ‣ Moeris ‣ Onsa ‣ Orient ‣ ParaNeptun ‣ Plymouth ‣ Poltik ‣ Premira ‣ Prim ‣ Primato ‣ Rega ‣ Ricoh ‣ Rivado ‣ Royal ‣ Royce ‣ Ruhla ‣ RWUE ‣ Seca ‣ Seiko ‣ Shanghai ‣ Silvia ‣ Thiel ‣ TimeRite ‣ Tissot ‣ UMF ‣ Ursacord ‣ VostokEurope ‣ Yrda ‣ Zentra ‣ Zeppelin ‣ ZMP ‣ Zodiac

phd

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?

Good idea!
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency - McCarthy

I guess I'll start this thread off with this watch for the heck of it. Standard Amphibian caseback, with 2416B automatic movement, and a replaced bracelet. With so few Neptunes to compare it to it's a bit interesting, such as the horizontal lines on the dial compared to the curved lines I have seen on others, among other details.

Looks legit

Skv

What to think about this? The rolex movement sounds really strange imho. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181181433297

Quote Originally Posted by Jelle86 View Post
    What to think about this? The rolex movement sounds really strange imho. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181181433297
    This is what's known as a fantasy watch, Jelle86, a watch fabricated to look like what a beginning collector may think a Russian "military/space" watch should look like. Not authentic. The soviet Molnija movement is being compared to the Rolex movement.

Mens VOSTOK Precision Vintage Russian Chronometer Watch Analogue Zenith Cal 135 | eBay

I'm pretty sure "no, it's not legit," but I wouldn't mind the full expert part-by-part rundown since I have no experience with these. So rather than the binary yes/no, might I ask, how close is this?

From what I see:

a) Caseback is certainly wrong
    b) Crown probably wrong too
    c) The hands...on the one hand, the black hands are, I think, wrong - but I think I have seen that hour/minute hand shape (leaf?) on the occasional 2809 model. Might they be OK if stripped back to brass?
    d) The face - if this is wrong, I can't immediately see where, and the raised numerals are degree of difficulty votes in its favor. Still, it gives me a funny feeling.
    e) Case...?
    f) Movement - OK?

So...source a caseback (not that that's easy), strip the hands, and you're in business? Or total hodgepodge?

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    Mens VOSTOK Precision Vintage Russian Chronometer Watch Analogue Zenith Cal 135 | eBay

I'm pretty sure "no, it's not legit," but I wouldn't mind the full expert part-by-part rundown since I have no experience with these. So rather than the binary yes/no, might I ask, how close is this?

From what I see:

a) Caseback is certainly wrong
    b) Crown probably wrong too
    c) The hands...on the one hand, the black hands are, I think, wrong - but I think I have seen that hour/minute hand shape (leaf?) on the occasional 2809 model. Might they be OK if stripped back to brass?
    d) The face - if this is wrong, I can't immediately see where, and the raised numerals are degree of difficulty votes in its favor. Still, it gives me a funny feeling.
    e) Case...?
    f) Movement - OK?

So...source a caseback (not that that's easy), strip the hands, and you're in business? Or total hodgepodge?
    The movement looks okay, RobNJ. I believe the case is a stainless steel aftermarket case that I've seen mentioned on the forum in connection with the 2809s, the dial is a reproduction, and the hands have been painted. That having been said if I had it I would get out the paint remover and restore the hands (I'd rather see simple batons) and be happy to wear it in its new stainless steel package, as long as it kept good time.

That's how I see it.
    Last edited by schnurrp; July 31st, 2013 at 03:09.
    RobNJ and bryan123456 like this.

Thanks - I haven't really delved into 2809s (though clearly they are on my mind), so overlooked the discussion of the cases. The back is obvious; the case itself less so, but I suppose they likely come as a package.

Page 1 of 317 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information