Questions regarding Russian watches - Page 2
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Questions regarding Russian watches

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Questions regarding Russian watches

My current collection consists of 111 soviet-era watches, 46 from First Moscow (Poljot), 28 from Petrodvorets (Raketa), 21 from Chistopol (Vostok), and 16 from other factories such as Second Moscow (Slava), Uglich (Zvezda), Minsk (Luch), etc.

I, too, started out collecting Soviet-era Vostok dive watches, and I still have some, but interests can change as you collection evolves.

I don't have anything else to add to what the others have said except to say that we are going to wake up one morning and find, if it hasn't already happened, that there are no more Vostoks to buy that are made totally "in-house". This is the modern way but I think it's a bit of a shame, but I don't buy modern watches anyway.
    kayeng likes this.

Some Komandirskies have a titanium nitride plating that will look gold without tarnishing like the underlying brass.
    kayeng likes this.

I used to have Vostok amphibian purchased in USSR, where I lived at the time. Needed service couple of years later so I trashed it. As for Komandirskiye (those with images of military equipment), they were made for Soviet military, hence the images on the dial. The one with the tank were especially rare. Best bet was finding one at some rural military base store, which is where I bought mine. My dad had Raketa, the one with big 0 instead of 12. It was also very rare. Luch were more on a dressier side, so it's your best bet finding in gold, which would probably have to be vintage as most were plated. I had one when i was a in 3rd or 4th grade. It was my first watch, which was "confiscated" by my teacher. She claimed that I was watching for the end of class. In reality I just loved to admire my first watch. Btw, it was ladie's to fit my tiny kids wrist. who knew that it would start this bug. After that I got into digital watches during late 80's before switching back to mechanical for good. Im more of a swiss watch guy now, but was always tempted to get russian watch again. They're not really servicable due to low price and parts avaiability, which kinda makes them disposable, an idea I dont like when it comes to watches. they never had a reputation of great reliability or accuracy. Granted I never had Russian watch post USSR collapse and hopefully quality improved, I was always tempted to buy Poljot international. They have interesting design and better movement, but then again, it's not really Russian watch. How has everyone else's experience been in terms of quality? Looking to hear from someone who had them for 5+,10+ years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    cuthbert and kayeng like this.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    My current collection consists of 111 soviet-era watches, 46 from First Moscow (Poljot), 28 from Petrodvorets (Raketa), 21 from Chistopol (Vostok), and 16 from other factories such as Second Moscow (Slava), Uglich (Zvezda), Minsk (Luch), etc.

I, too, started out collecting Soviet-era Vostok dive watches, and I still have some, but interests can change as you collection evolves.

I don't have anything else to add to what the others have said except to say that we are going to wake up one morning and find, if it hasn't already happened, that there are no more Vostoks to buy that are made totally "in-house". This is the modern way but I think it's a bit of a shame, but I don't buy modern watches anyway.
    Watches from soviet era that keeps on ticking? I'm impressed. Do you keep them on a winder when not worn?

kayeng likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huliganchik View Post
    How has everyone else's experience been in terms of quality? Looking to hear from someone who had them for 5+,10+ years.
    It's always 50/50 with russian watches :) Whether they will immediately broke or will go on for years.
    Didn't have any problems with mine. But EVERY mechanical watch needs service after certain periods of time. If you hope for their long live, of course :)
    I've serviced all my watches older than 10 years. Though of course you need to service them at least once in a 5 years.

Watches from soviet era that keeps on ticking? I'm impressed. Do you keep them on a winder when not worn?

Some work better than others but many are quite usable. I can and do perform simple service of my own collection, if necessary, or swap movements. Like owning a garage of vintage cars, you better have a set of tools and know how to use them a little.

The only watch needing an automatic winder is an automatic that can't be hand wound. I don't know of any soviet automatics that can't be also hand-wound. Most of mine are not automatic, anyway.

I used to have Vostok amphibian purchased in USSR, where I lived at the time. Needed service couple of years later so I trashed it. As for Komandirskiye (those with images of military equipment), they were made for Soviet military, hence the images on the dial. The one with the tank were especially rare. Best bet was finding one at some rural military base store, which is where I bought mine. My dad had Raketa, the one with big 0 instead of 12. It was also very rare. Luch were more on a dressier side, so it's your best bet finding in gold, which would probably have to be vintage as most were plated. I had one when i was a in 3rd or 4th grade. It was my first watch, which was "confiscated" by my teacher. She claimed that I was watching for the end of class. In reality I just loved to admire my first watch. Btw, it was ladie's to fit my tiny kids wrist. who knew that it would start this bug. After that I got into digital watches during late 80's before switching back to mechanical for good. Im more of a swiss watch guy now, but was always tempted to get russian watch again. They're not really servicable due to low price and parts avaiability, which kinda makes them disposable, an idea I dont like when it comes to watches. they never had a reputation of great reliability or accuracy. Granted I never had Russian watch post USSR collapse and hopefully quality improved, I was always tempted to buy Poljot international. They have interesting design and better movement, but then again, it's not really Russian watch. How has everyone else's experience been in terms of quality? Looking to hear from someone who had them for 5+,10+ years.

Interesting. I have few NOS Soviet Poljots and Komandirskies, they all work great, in particular a 3133 for the export market made the 1st trimester of 1988 runs in COSC specs.

This is my last catch, Zakaz Komandirskie, looks definitely not serviced but keeps reasonably good time:

Name:  046.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  1.15 MB

That means +10 sec/day.

My last Meranom Amphibia is about 3 seconds per day and I didn't need to regulate it myself, I am pretty happy with it.

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.01 MB

As a general rule on this board we feel the Soviet watches were better made than the current ones, but it appears your experience is the opposite.

Quite a few, tavarisch!

Last edited by cuthbert; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:08.

Living in a neighbor country to Russia and seen all kind of USSR products, I highly doubt the USSR watches were of higher quality than currently produced ones. The bad ones made during the USSR era probably just got thrown away long time ago, which is why some might perceive the vintage ones to be of better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
    Interesting. I have few NOS Soviet Poljots and Komandirskies, they all work great, in particular a 3133 for the export market made the 1st trimester of 1988 runs in COSC specs.

This is my last catch, Zakaz Komandirskie, looks definitely not serviced but keeps reasonably good time:

Name:  046.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  1.15 MB

That means +10 sec/day.

My last Meranom Amphibia is about 3 seconds per day and I didn't need to regulate it myself, I am pretty happy with it.

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.01 MB

As a general rule on this board we feel the Soviet watches were better made than the current ones, but it appears your experience is the opposite.

Quite a few, tavarisch!

That's quiet a collection. Larger thank a stock at any soviet store. Perhaps I'll give it another shot for the old times sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich Faust View Post
    It's always 50/50 with russian watches :) Whether they will immediately broke or will go on for years.
    Didn't have any problems with mine. But EVERY mechanical watch needs service after certain periods of time. If you hope for their long live, of course :)
    I've serviced all my watches older than 10 years. Though of course you need to service them at least once in a 5 years.
    That was my point. Is it worth servicing a watch under $100? Do you service them yourself? If so, where do you get parts?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information