Questions regarding Russian watches - Page 8
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Questions regarding Russian watches

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Questions regarding Russian watches

Quote Originally Posted by kayeng View Post
    I agree with you that it's not the nicest looking, but I just would like to know if the case is oval and dial is round, and the purpose of the unmarked bezel, if it is indeed a rotating bezel.
    And if you don't mind, why do you think their current komandirskies are sub par?

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk
    Soviet Komandirskies had a bigger case, they were robust military watches. Chrome plating was good quality too, bezels were for real, some of them had incredibly iridescent dials, for instance the VDV (paratroopers) one...now they don't look too attractive.

The current models are mostly novelties, Amphibias on the other side are quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
    Soviet Komandirskies had a bigger case, they were robust military watches. Chrome plating was good quality too, bezels were for real, some of them had incredibly iridescent dials, for instance the VDV (paratroopers) one...now they don't look too attractive.

The current models are mostly novelties, Amphibias on the other side are quite good.
    I first bought one Amphibia because I wanted a good snorkeling watch. One year later I bought one Amphibia more, as I liked them. Some months after this purchase I bought a Komandirskie. After the Komandirskie purchase, the Amphibias have not been seeing much wrist time. I only wear them while snorkeling. But even for snorkeling, I have begun using my Komandirskie the lastest time.

The classic Komandirskie is so much lighter and less clumsy. This is why I love Komandirskies. I do not want extra weight on my wrist, and I also prefer the slimmer profile of the Komandirskie. It is simply the best value for the money, at least for me. The Komandirskies are also really water tight (with tightened crown). I have been snorkeling my Komandirskie down to about 10m (about 33 feet) several times and it has been holding up well. It has never been foggy.

This is the model of Komandirskie I am using: https://meranom.com/en/komandirskie-...ie-811398.html

I like this model because it got all minute indexes and the dial is clean of war machines.
    Last edited by engblom; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:24.
    Heinrich Faust and kayeng like this.

Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    I like this model because it got all minute indexes and the dial is clean of war machines.
    I'm actually prioritizing the war machine pieces as I feel they're unique and I admire their toyish charm.

Quote Originally Posted by kayeng View Post
    I'm actually prioritizing the war machine pieces as I feel they're unique and I admire their toyish charm.
    To each his own, this is the real thing however, and unfortunately it's not a great picture:

Name:  061.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  1,014.1 KB

It doesn't look bad in my opinion! Thanks for sharing.

If I strip a bezel which has colored markers, will the markers be stripped of their colors too?

Quote Originally Posted by Huliganchik View Post
    Why is it strange? Would professional services it for less than $100? What I am trying to question weather it's worth paying the price of a watch to have it serviced.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Yes, Dafydd Ellis for a start and a number of East European watchmakers in low wage economies.

Quote Originally Posted by antilucem View Post
    Yes, Dafydd Ellis for a start and a number of East European watchmakers in low wage economies.
    I guess I should have been clearer about geographical location. That answers my question. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Finally recieved the watch. IT would be wrong to say that it feels cheap because it is after all a rather cheap watch. Bezel rotates almost freely without clicking into positions. Crown feels a bit strange when unscrewed and even jumpes into 3rd position when winding at times. Just need to get a hang of it I guess. Haven't handle Russian watch for a very long time. Bracelet looks and feels ok but the brushed buckle cheapens it and looks out of place. It has "stainless steel" stamp but doesn't go well with polished bracelet at all. will most likely have to go for nato strap unfortunately. All in all nothing unexpected from $60 watch. Size definitely doesn't feel 40mm, but more like 38.

What I was the most interested is the movement. I have to admit that readings outside of the box were pretty impressive.

That amplitude can even make some swiss watches jelous. A measly error rate of 0.3 ms, and daily rate in dial up position not bad at all. Delta between that and, say, crown down is over 15 seconds, which is good or I would have thrown my swiss watches in the trash.
    Despite the warning in the manual, I couldn't wait to crack that baby open.

Getting beat error to 0 was relatively easy, but the rate was something I had to play with. That lever just moves way too easy and this is the best I could get after a lot of back and forth.

Albeit its face up position but still pretty damn impressive for this watch imo.

Can't wait see how it does on the wrist over 24hr period.

Quote Originally Posted by Huliganchik View Post
    Finally recieved the watch. IT would be wrong to say that it feels cheap because it is after all a rather cheap watch. Bezel rotates almost freely without clicking into positions. Crown feels a bit strange when unscrewed and even jumpes into 3rd position when winding at times. Just need to get a hang of it I guess. Haven't handle Russian watch for a very long time. Bracelet looks and feels ok but the brushed buckle cheapens it and looks out of place. It has "stainless steel" stamp but doesn't go well with polished bracelet at all. will most likely have to go for nato strap unfortunately. All in all nothing unexpected from $60 watch. Size definitely doesn't feel 40mm, but more like 38.

What I was the most interested is the movement. I have to admit that readings outside of the box were pretty impressive.

That amplitude can even make some swiss watches jelous. A measly error rate of 0.3 ms, and daily rate in dial up position not bad at all. Delta between that and, say, crown down is over 15 seconds, which is good or I would have thrown my swiss watches in the trash.
    Despite the warning in the manual, I couldn't wait to crack that baby open.

Getting beat error to 0 was relatively easy, but the rate was something I had to play with. That lever just moves way too easy and this is the best I could get after a lot of back and forth.

Albeit its face up position but still pretty damn impressive for this watch imo.

Can't wait see how it does on the wrist over 24hr period.
    +15s per day is pretty much perfect, because, in my experience, it is about as much as it will slow down during the first months of breaking in. It means most people will get an accurate watch without regulating.

When it comes to the bezel, I have noticed they often need to get slightly tweaked. It is easy to pop off the bezel and then either tighten or loosen the spring wire according to need. I use mine for snorkeling, and the salt and mineral buildup adds to the friction after some time. This friction is easily reduced by adding a bit of oil. I really prefer this kind of bezel over the uni-directional clicking bezels, as I can easily spin the bezel the shortest path to the hand I want to measure.

The crown is a bit special, as you noticed. It just takes some time to get used to.

The bracelet, on the other hand, I do not even wish my enemies would be forced to wear it. It is just terrible.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information