Thread: Russian made "Titan" brand straps

Russian made "Titan" brand straps

I think most of us are quite familiar with the rather basic straps Vostok used to fit to their watches, which looked like they were made out of very basic vinyl car upholstery material. Lately the last Vostok I bought came with a much nicer Russian-made "Titan" strap which seems to be of all leather construction and tapers from 18mm to 16mm.

The stitching seems to be quite well done, just that the channel for the spring bars are a little loose. Also, the keepers have some slight issues too: the stationary keeper is not stitched under the flap at the buckle end, but stitched in position in a separate operation, and the floating keeper is a little too loose, although the ends are stitched, much preferable to those secured with staples.

As usual I took mine apart to examine its construction and found that the leather core has no lining, but the inside surface is coated with a silver coating, which is actually rather pleasant. I then restitched it by hand, put on a gold-plated buckle, tightened up the floating keeper, and fitted it to my Raketa moonphase quartz, and it is very acceptable indeed, although it would not give the boys at ZRC or Hirsch sleepless nights.

If Vostok is going to ship their watches with these Titan straps, then it might be an idea to specify watches with straps rather than bracelets if you are going to replace the bracelet with straps, because the Titan might just be good enough for use.

By the way: they are a touch short, those with wrist bigger than around 7 1/2" might find it a bit tight.
    Last edited by Seele; February 25th, 2012 at 20:34.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Russian made "Titan" brand straps

I actually like the old-style Vostok 18mm strap. Sometimes I need a cheap strap that is 18mm, un-tapered and well-padded. And the buckle can always be swapped. Which is why I recently bought a couple of them. ...or not. Unfortunately the newer cheap Vostok straps, although of the same construction (with the padded insert) are of thinner material and the buckles (slightly better than the old wire buckle) are not removable.

Sounds like these Titan straps are a big step up, but I wouldn't mind finding a cache of the old straps.

Photos?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Chascomm,

Perhaps our fellow members collectively has a huge quantity of the old ones, unless they all hit the bin ages ago!

I do not have "before" pictures of the Titan strap but these are taken just now, after it's been stitched back up after my exploratory surgery.

Name:  RIMG0109.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  RIMG0110.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  83.6 KB

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

It looks like a decent middle-weight strap with an attractive texture. And it's good to know that the 'Natural Hide' is exactly that.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information