Views: 956
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  slavarovolc59n4.JPG
Views: 942
Size:  144.4 KB

Name:  slavarovolc59n5.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  162.4 KB

I really like it; the colour is somewhat unusual and i like the connection with the 1980's Moscow Olympics. What got me a bit worried though is the fact that the dial mentions 26 jewels while according to most sources the 2427 has 27 jewels. So what is going on here? Does the dial belong to another movement (2428 maybe?) or did the 2427 also come with 26 jewels? Everything else about the watch seems ok to me.

gr.

Alfred

Re: Slava 2427 with 26 jewels?

Not sure it's 100% original. I have seen that "yellow dots" bezel mostly on white dials. Moreover, the inscriptions and logo seems too close to the bezel edge.

former Russian Watch Forum Moderator (2005-2012)

nht

Dial seems to have been changed...

Review Slava Moscow 1980

OKEAH Final Edition 1976-2011 Proud owner of the original watch s/n: 072/300

I've put the photo's of both my watch and the one below

Quote Originally Posted by nht View Post
    Dial seems to have been changed...

Review Slava Moscow 1980
    on top of each other digitally and they line up perfectly so it seems pretty certain that its the same dial. I'm also not to sure about the hour and minute hands, although they feature on some of these watches, most seem to have slightly different ones and mostly in black. The second hand is OK. But how about the 26 jewels on a 2427? On Mark Gordon's website I see 2 watches with a 2427 and listed as having 26 jewels:

Images for ID: 0929
    Images for ID: 0930

Are they also not original?

I've seen this a number of times - a mismatch between the dial and the movement with this Slava. Sometimes you'll see "automatic" on the dial but it's a manual movement. Or the other way around.

I think it's because the auto winding module is just bolted on to the movement and you only need the deeper caseback to accommodate it. Possibly the factory used mismatched parts - dial and movement - when they ran out of what they needed.

The Valley of Death, but I fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in The Valley

Somewhere else on here is a thread about this subject of 26 Jewel Slava's and the only difference between manual and auto is the "Bolt On" auto winding mechanism. The watch, of course, is an '80 Moscow Winter Olympic Games Commemorative...I don't think it's a 'RARE' watch, but the movement is solid. I have a manual wind 26 Jewel Slava, and it's built like a friggin' tank. So if it runs good, wear the thing and be happy!!!
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "....I drank what?"

"I have too many damn watches".....said no one on the WUS Russian Forum ever...

Don't worry, i'm wearing it and i'm happy doing so. I just like to know what i'm wearing. Obviously i would like the the watch to be just like it was when it came out of the factory. But if thats not the case, i won't throw it in a drawer and forget about it. It's still 100% slava, allthough its probably a marriage as they call it in the antiques business (sounds more friendly then 'franken').

It's quite possible that it did leave the factory that way.

Imagine you're the factory manager during Soviet days. If you don't make your quota you'll make the State Planning Commission angry. If you use mismatched parts you might make the consumer angry.

But, your company doesn't have a consumer complaint department anyway - so which choice would make? :)

Thread Information