Thread: Slava Project

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Slava Project

I haven't really messed with the watch much lately as I've been busy, but twitching is all I can get it to do. I'm not just looking to buy a donor. Will a 3056 movement work in place of the 3056a? Any other options?

Interesting thread, guys! Seems to have slowed down so I hope it's okay if I ask a question. The Slava I bought "not working" had a very tight back that in the process of removing I cracked the crystal. I wanted to take it out and replace but I can't figure how to remove the crown. Anybody done that?

Here are my three, current project in the middle, others working fine. All have 3056A movement. Replaced battery in project watch and forced contact between new battery and battery cover and it started right up. Took the bat cover off to bend it for better contact and it broke, so I guess I'll have to wire it.

It strikes me that I really don't need three of these so maybe I can take the crystal from the one on the right and replace the cracked crystal and offer the 3056a movement, body, and dial for sale or preferably trade. All soviet-era amphibia parts needed, crown, bezel, 2209 and 2409 working or not, etc.
    Let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quick thanks to shnurrp for helping me out with a spare movement. Gonna have to go to a watch person to switch out the movements cause it's a bit above my skill level at the moment.

Thanks shnurrp!

Anyone figured how to remove the crown ? Can't see a release button...
    Trying to resurrect one of these 3056A lying in a Slava similar to the OP's one. Would be easier working with the movement out.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalskie View Post
    Anyone figured how to remove the crown ? Can't see a release button...
    Trying to resurrect one of these 3056A lying in a Slava similar to the OP's one. Would be easier working with the movement out.
    I just got one out. My method was not very elegant but I don't see how else to proceed. The little flat plate has a pin that goes down into a groove on the crown staff. My method was to pry this up gently with a screw driver while pulling on the crown and voila! I successfully re-inserted by reversing process. I tried sliding plate to the side as suggested by deformed opening but it would not budge when I applied the amount of force I thought prudent. I actually think this is what was intended maybe using a tool that fits in open hole to pull, otherwise why the deformed opening in this plate. I was afraid of damaging the board to continue.

Okay, balls in your court!

By the way I have heard some discussion about material in the bottom of the battery cavity. It is not necessary to remove it. Power is applied from the battery holder at 1. and the silver side clip at 2. Battery holder is insulated from pole with a little washer at 3.

Thanks schnurrp, that's exactly the info I was looking for ! I'll try this and report my findings here.
    This is becoming a good reference thread for the 3056.

schnurrp, I managed to get the movement out using your method.
    The watch I got had the battery installed upside down. Anyone knows if these movements are damaged by applying reverse polarity or if they're protected with a diode ?

Quote Originally Posted by Generalskie View Post
    schnurrp, I managed to get the movement out using your method.
    The watch I got had the battery installed upside down. Anyone knows if these movements are damaged by applying reverse polarity or if they're protected with a diode ?
    Good for you! I can't imagine upside down battery would harm the watch, just wouldn't work...like putting batteries in a flashlight backwards. Very poor design if doing something as easy as installing the battery upside down did any harm!
    Last edited by schnurrp; December 3rd, 2011 at 05:27.

I have been following this thread with interest, just in case I chance upon another example. As chance would have it, I took a punt and bought an example like this earlier today at the monthly collectors fair, not running of course. I just took the back off and it's likewise covered in that sticky horrible goo which went everywhere, and I did a reasonably good job taking the worst of it out.

I am not sure if the goo - or what it used to be - has any particular function; if it only works as a gasket then I might need to find one that can take its place. There is also a self-adhesive plastic disc stuck to the inside of the caseback, much like woodgrain finish ConTact paper: is that meant to be for insulating the movement?

The innards are all there, apparently, even the original battery marked in Cyrillic. It appears to be the same size as the 386/G12, but I would like to confirm first before progressing further.

Update:

I looked up the specifications and the 386 is indeed compatible, so I put in an old one I have lying around and it fired up... but what a fiddly way to change a battery! This confirms the watch is working well, so I will have to get a new one and do it all over again... grrr...

The original bracelet with Slava signed buckle is in pretty good condition but far too long for my slender wrist. While I could very well get a link taken out it would not be original anymore, so I am having it cleaned and put away safely. Now it is on a rather battered oid Hirsch which makes it wearable.

Of course I still do not have a caseback gasket and I would be most grateful if fellow members can suggest a suitable replacement; that black goo is nasty!
    Last edited by Seele; December 4th, 2011 at 08:07.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information