Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DolleDolf
  • 1 Post By DolleDolf

Thread: Some info help AND How WATERPROOF is the NEW Vostok Komandirskie?

Some info help AND How WATERPROOF is the NEW Vostok Komandirskie?

I recently took delievery of my BRAND new vostok komandirskie watch!

Inside theres a manual (in russian) which has a couple of numbers which i can only assume mean the manufacturing date:

there are three different columns in a table and the numbers are seperated into three columns as such:

811296-22 | 17 | 17.05.12

I can only assume 17.05.12 is the manufacturing date but I dont know what the other two are!

I must say I am quite impressed with the watch! It looks like quite a cool time piece.

I know it only costs $50 shipped but I wanna know how durable this thing is! I have seen the tortue test and the making of the komandirskie as well.

The only thing I really need to know is how waterproof it is or how far owners have taken the limits of their komandirskie?

Recently my 200m Hamilton GMT Navy fogged up while washing my hands -.-

Something i know probably wont happen to this one, has anyone taken their komandirskie swimming or anything of the sort?

Can i realy realy really thrash it around?

I am intending to anyway to get rid of some of the shine from the chrome :x (dont like it too shiny)

Re: Some info help AND How WATERPROOF is the NEW Vostok Komandirskie?

I have got a new Komandirskie 2416B Paratrooper and a 2414A Submariner. I will not be swimming with these watches as they are only rated for water resistance and are not waterproof. If I had wanted to do that I would have purchased Amphibias. I also have two 20 year old Komandirskies which will not be going anywhere near the water due to the aging of the seals etc. Maybe some other members have taken these types of watches swimming but personally I would not risk it.

I believe the new komandirskies are rated 30m. Google gives you this from this site http://www.prestigetime.com/page.php?waterresistance:

Interpretation of the Depth Ratings

Although a watch may be rated 30m/99ft water resistant, it does NOT mean that the watch can be immersed to that depth. The depth rating posted by the manufacturer is theoretical in nature and can only be achieved in a perfectly optimum environment of a laboratory - which is impossible to replicate in real life.

Water Resistance Guide
    No Rating - 30m/99ft Does not allow contact with water
    30m/99ft - 50m/165ft Allows for contact with water such as washing hands and rain
    50m/165ft - 100m/330ft Allows for light poolside swimming
    100m/330ft - 200m/660ft Allows for swimming, snorkeling and showering (do not expose to hot water)
    200m/660ft - 500m/1650ft Allows for impact water sports such as board diving and scuba diving
    500m/1650ft + Appropriate for serious deep water diving.

Obviously, the higher the rating, the more appropriate the watch is for deeper diving.

IMPORTANT: We strongly recommend purchasing a watch with a screw-down crown if you intend on wearing the watch while you are in contact with water.

Our Recommendations

Have your watch water-tested once a year.
    • Do not shower or swim with your watch unless it is rated 100m/330ft & has a screw-down crown.
    • Never open, wind or operate the crown while in water.
    • Never press the buttons of a chronograph watch while in water - unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer.
    • Do not subject your watch to extreme temperature changes.
    • Do not subject your watch to sudden & rapid air-pressure changes.
    • Do not allow your watch to come in contact with corrosive chemicals, such as abrasive soaps & highly chlorinated water.
    • Ensure that the crown is always pushed in, and if you have a screw-down crown make sure it is always tightened. Double-check before immersing in water.

Be careful!
    Last edited by schnurrp; July 10th, 2012 at 12:40.

It does have a screw down crown! Ah well. I have a couple of beaters to rotate around I guess i will try not to use this one for swimming! I used to today while playing a game of soccer and that worked fine :) But of course it did because theres no water!

Anyway! Thanks for the info!

Anyone know what the numbers in the manual mean? :)

IMHO, and YMMV, and all the usual disclaimers .... but come on!! these things can be lost in a garden for an entire winter in the snow, be wound up, and a-running they go!

from a previous post of mine:

FWIW, I took my new komandirskie to the waterpark, swam with it, went down a few waterslides with the kids, took it to the "tropical wave" pool also. Dry as a bone inside.

These things are way underrated water resistance wise. There are a few posts on this forum regarding this issue. I would do any surface watersport with them, and will in the future. They are so nice and flat on the wrist unlike the much fatter fibbies. Then again, I am not going to cry my eyes out if a watch the price of a case of beer were to heroically fall in the line of duty. Just gonna order a new one and do the same to it.

Now if I were to go scuba diving I would get the fibby out.
    jose-CostaRica and hantms like this.

DolleDolf, I support your comments... I've also used my Komandirskie in a very aggressive manner, I've swam with it, I've thrown football balls, used a hammer, played tennis, you name it... and the little Tank keeps perfect time, despite the high forces it has been exposed to the accuracy has not been affected at all! and the watch is in the same great working condition as a new one... the screwed case back, the fat o-ring and the screw-down crown should make a difference for sure in terms of water resistance.

I've also used my Komandirskie in a very aggressive manner, I've swam with it, I've thrown football balls, used a hammer, played tennis...
    It is THE tool watch sans pareil, i.e. a watch that can be used as a tool, unlike a watch to be worn by a tool like a rolex "tool watch."
    Just in case you were wondering: nah, I don't care much for rolexes ....
    GlenRoiland likes this.

Thread Information