WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Strange Clock with day indicator

986 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  phd 
#1 ·
Anyone having an idea what this clock is designed for?
Must be for a photographic application:think:
The power reserve is impressive, wound it eleven days ago and it's still ticking.

Phil

See less See more
#7 ·
Phil --
It is a naval clock. The 3rd hand indicates the day. It moves one tick every 12 hours, which means it measures a 7-day cycle.
Winding and setting are via the bezel ring, which tells me it was on a panel somewhere.
I've got one; number 1141 on my website.
-- Mark

#8 ·
wow amazing. What a nice way to point the week's day. I like it. Added bonus, such a setup could indicate if 'outside' was day or night (something useful to personnel working in shifts in closed environments, impervious to sunlight). I'd bet that such a device, obviously inconsistent with the refined clocks available on the bridges, was useful in engine/machines/boilers compartments, for mechanics, motorists, and so on. Setting and winding via such a large bezel was not impaired by greasy hands. There are maintenance operations due every few days outside the machine rooms, like whistles maintenance etc. so (my bet) such devices could have been extremely useful in such environments.

#9 ·
//It is a naval clock.//

Wow. The ingenuity of Russian engineers never ceases to amaze me. A clock specially designed to fit in your belly-button. What will they think of next?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.