WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

122K views 783 replies 148 participants last post by  stevarad 
#1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about doing this last year. I wanted to send a watch around the world to WUS f10 forumers.

I have a CCCP Vostok 2409A I received in a box lot over the summer. It has a burn mark from sitting in a store display under where the hour hand sat at 2 O'clock. The lume is gone from the hour hand and the dial looks like it never had any. I was told it is NOS. It does not have a band but I'm sure everyone has a bund or NATO to put it on.

I'm not real fond of it but thought why not service it and send it off?

Who ever wants it first, PM me your address and I will ship it on Monday.

When you receive it post a photo wrist shot with a background of your choice and keep it for 1, 2, 3 days or more. When you are ready, post it for the next forumer to send it to. If it goes to Italy it may take 40 days to get there.

How or why did I come up with this? I don't know.

It would be interesting to see where it goes in 1 year.

Note to mods, if this post is too goofy or too wacky, please delete. :roll:

Dan

See less See more
#480 ·
Vlad is currently in my care and nestled safely with my collection. I hope to get him out and about soon , I've been busy since his arrival . He looks in fine shape after his visit to to Dr Matt.

#482 ·
As I've been busy since Vlad arrived I thought I'd take him to work with me tonight as I'm just moving the train tonight. Hopefully he will bring me some luck and get me home on time with no delays.
This is his job tonight, the page will update as we travel so you can track him live and see how he is doing.
Realtime Trains | FRGT 2108 Ely Recp. to Romford Engineers Sidings

This is what we are taking.
Land vehicle Transport Vehicle Track Locomotive

#483 · (Edited)
Finally a day off ! And as I live in the UK obviously its raining. I took Vlad out today for a quick look round the small town I live in . Oakham is a small market town in Rutland , England's smallest county .
First order of the day is take Millie out for a walk , she's not allowed her ball at the minute due to a swollen paw, she's not amused.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Back home for a coffee and a dry out.
Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

A trip into Town and to Oakham Castle. Not actually a castle as only the Great hall is left. It is tradition for visiting VIP's to present a Horseshoe to be hung on the wall.
Property Building Estate Medieval architecture House

Iron Metal

Arch Holy places Architecture Medieval architecture Building
Room Building Interior design Furniture Architecture

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Wrist

The castle is still occasionally used as a court , but the rather stuffy keeper of the Castle didn't let me put Vlad in the dock.
The Horseshoes are hung this way up, most are hung the other way up , to stop the Devil building his nest in them . A very old tradition.

A visit to the stocks next.
Wall Fashion accessory Ring Wood Jewellery

By now the rain was getting worse so a few jobs in the High Street , not looking its best due to major roadworks . Unfortunately the Rutland flags are not that visible due to the weather. The sun dial is useless today.
Town Street Rain Road Vehicle
Property Building Town House Architecture

Sorry for the delay getting Vlad out but I've just been busy.
Who wants to host him next? Anybody in the UK or is he off to drier climates?

#489 ·
A trip into Town and to Oakham Castle. Not actually a castle as only the Great hall is left. It is tradition for visiting VIP's to present a Horseshoe to be hung on the wall.
View attachment 11854778
Bloody big horses in your part of the world.

#484 ·
It is 26 today and sunny, he needs some sun. I'll take him!

Reactions: kev80e
#485 · (Edited)
All I can say Kev,is you must have some bleedin big orses around them thar parts
Goin by them shoes.
I would host Vlad but I'm,kinda busy at the moment,so I really couldn't do him the justice he deserves:(

Reactions: RustyNutsMGs
#491 · (Edited)
I've followed this thread and the Roman thread for quite a while now. Even though Vlad has been on his travels for more than two years longer than Roman, he's been to far fewer places. Roman (in two years) had about 55 visits at an average visit of about 26 days per host. Poor ole Vlad got lost for more than two years in Australia and has averaged only one visit every 2 months and a week (~ 9 weeks each hosting).

The few folks who didn't follow through with Vlad didn't seem to be regular visitors to this thread but instead seemed to happen upon it and thought it was a great idea at the time, but didn't invest as much effort as many of us would. Reminds me of so many Christmas puppy dog purchases that turn into unwanted pets a year or two later.

Vlad spent more than 1/2 of his time with only two hosts. 2 years and 4 months between two guys deprived a lot of other hosts the opportunity to share.

The OP made the rules that each Vlad host can select whomever they want to send him to next. I would only encourage that as each of us select the next participant, we give fair value to those who check in, inquire, and most of all, express a desire to host. It should have been no surprise, that folks who had never posted to this thread were selected as hosts and then failed to post updates. If they didn't have time to post before they got him, we shouldn't be surprised if they continue in the same manner.

And I hate to say this but, if you can't afford postage to send him to his next host, please don't volunteer. It seemed that Vlad couldn't get off the southern continent because some hosts were unable (or unwilling) to provide postage to an international destination.

I'm very keen to see Vlad, to share my town, to pass him along and to enjoy his future travels and to learn more about other WIS folks and to see their towns from their eyes.. And I'll be tickled pink if we're still reading about his exploits in ten years!

#496 ·
Very good point re the postage, I am also a hifi nut and I got involved in a travelling tape (cassette) which was great fun, but I could have bought another tape deck with what it cost me to post the tapes on as Aus post is expensive. All the same my tapes were posted in a few days. People should not hold on to the watch the fun for everyone is seeing were Vlad gets too.
Chris

#493 · (Edited)
I received word from Kev80e that Vlad has been posted to Spain. I'll be keeping an eye on the mailbox ;-)

In reading through this thread, I saw that there was a LOT of interest in hosting early on but it seems (to my eye at least) to have died off. And so, I'm putting out the call:

Who wants to host Vlad?

We would like to bounce him around Europe a bit. So far, he's only been to Spain and the UK. Anyone else in Europe interested in playing host? So far I'm in contact with congo who wants to host in July (he's going on holiday & wants to take Vlad for a trip down south) but I've received no other interest otherwise. MunichJoe, if you're reading this: check your email inbox.

After the EU, we have had interest expressed in the US and Singapore. While Vlad has been to the US, I don't think he's yet been to Asia.

I made up a quick Powerpoint map of (roughly) where Vlad has been and how much time he's had in each location.

If you're interested in hosting, please speak up! :)

Map Line Water World Ecoregion

#494 ·
I decided to send out an "extra" Komandirskie that I have acquired through happenstance - I hope that it will run in parallel with this and the Roman thread (I'm also posting this message in that thread). I put it in the Public Forum - I hope it will pique some interest for this thread and also for f10.

Commander Yuri, world travelling Russian watch - who wants to host him?

Reactions: sq100
#498 ·
Wanted to open the package when it arrived but had other things to do. Finally got it open; looks no worse for travel:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Vlad with the newest member of the family, Yuri:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

With some Russian friends that I've recently accumulated. This modding thing is addictive!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#501 ·
Vlad got his first sunshine today. I had a business call in the nearby town of San Juan. I was just a block from the beach so I drove over and was able to find parking as the tourists aren't fully here yet. Disclaimer: I was at a stop sign, no cars behind me, car in park :-d

Vacation Beach Sky Palm tree Tree

I took a walk out on one of the wooden boardwalks that leads down towards the sea to get a better shot. From here, you can see the beach stretch off to the north with the next town of Playa Mucha Vista, and then El Campello, and on and on and at the edge of the coast, some 45 minutes drive away, you can see the tall apartment buildings of Benidorm.

Sand Beach Vacation Compass Summer

I've had Vlad strapped on all day save for a 45 min swim in the sea (go Orient Ray!) - plan to keep him on all week - tomorrow we will take Yuri to the post office to begin his journey to California (looks just like Spain).

#502 · (Edited)
Today I took a walk to the post office in Alicante and stopped at a few "cool" spots along the way. Forgive me for drooling over European history but, having been raised in a new world country (US), I have to pinch myself daily when I see thousand year old things as I walk to the grocery store.

Today's mission was to deliver Commander Yuri to the post office for the beginning of his world tour.

As I walk into the Cascua Antigua (old city), I see a plaque on the wall that explains that the old Roman name for the town is Lucentum. Later, during the Moorish occupation, they called the town Laquant. "Al" in Arabic is "the," and so The Laquant is Al Lacant. And later, the Spanish called it Alicante.

My first stop in the old town is at the Iglesia Santa Maria (Saint Mary Church). The little plaza in front of the church has a pair of cafes and a peeking view of the Santa Barbara Castle.

Holy places Building Facade Historic site Architecture

In the plaza, some of the stones aren't smooth like the rest. If you get closer you see a small plaque that describes that when the plaza was restored, these medieval stones were left in place so that you can imagine what it looked so many centuries before.

Wall Cobblestone Road surface Flagstone Flooring

Working my way down the plaza steps towards the (seaward) side of the church, we can find the remnants of a late 18th century French naval bombardment that destroyed much of the city.

Wall Architecture Facade Building Window

In the top left, you can see that one of the cannon balls is still stuck in the wall. I've walked by as the tour guides blame the attack on the Brits (why not?) and I've read that it was caused by Spanish naval ships during one of the many wars of succession (1873). But, the most compelling historical narrative I've read was that the French did it. So, blame it on the Brits, French or the Spanish. Either way, I think it is pretty cool.

Wall Organism Concrete Pigeons and doves Roof

A close up of the cannon ball in the church wall.

Just before arriving to the Plaza Santisima Faz, you find an old water fountain that still works. There are many of them throughout the city. You can see the city crest chiseled into the stone above the spigot and the Ayuntamiento building behind.

Font Stone carving Water feature Fountain Carving

Looking slightly left, I can see the 500 year old Ayuntamiento (City Hall) and its clock tower. The passageway below is one of the old city gates. While building an expansion of the town hall, old city walls were discovered and preserved. Parts of the building foundation are cut away, supported by iron I beams and behind the glass windows, you can see the old ruins preserved below.

Building Clock tower Town Architecture Facade

Passing through the gate, I come to the Town Hall square. Tourist season is starting and we can see a group listening to their tour guide. Here we can find wedding celebrations every Saturday, bonfires in June, live music, cafes and even fountains. Behind the tourist group there are fountains embedded into the stone floor that shoot water up into the square. They are especially popular with the kids during the summer evenings and the entire square looks like a water park. There are lights embedded in the fountains and it lights up the whole square at night.

Plaza City Building Town square Public space

Passing across the square to the far corner and looking back, we can see the clock tower and town hall from the other side and the Santa Barbara Castle above.

Sky Landmark Town Building Architecture

Finally, I made it to the Plaza Gabriel Miro - a lovely park with huge ficus trees, their roots reaching into the ground making a nice little green park right in the middle of the city. It is edged by cafes and you can smell coffee, wine, freshly cooked fish and hear the murmur of Spanish and a dozen other languages as people chat and enjoy the warm day. The fountain is popular with the birds and the children and at night, once a week or so, the old folks come out and dance meringue around the park. The white building in the back is the post office, my final destination.

Tree Woody plant Botany Plant Architecture

And now, Commander Yuri is posted, he should be in California in a week or two. Vlad and I head home, ready for the next adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.