Urgent! Help needed with an overwound(?) cockpit watch AChS-1 АЧС-1

Thread: Urgent! Help needed with an overwound(?) cockpit watch AChS-1 АЧС-1

-->

Urgent! Help needed with an overwound(?) cockpit watch AChS-1 АЧС-1

Hi, I just bought an АЧС-1 that I cannot handwind with the left button. I have an instruction booklet in Russian, I haven't been through it, but from what I understand, thevwatch is purely mechanical, and the left button is pulled for adjustment of main and sub dial, and once back in position, it should allow winding up the spring (counterclockwise), but it won't budge.

Is it an overwound spring? What do you advise?

Also how can it be dated? The dial reads 13014b

Thanks!
    Name:  6321.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  131.3 KB

phd

Re: Urgent! Help needed with an overwound(?) cockpit watch AChS-1 АЧС-1

"Overwound" is one of those words that's often misused.

If you "overwind" a watch (or clock) by forcefully winding it beyond its "fully wound" state, then you can break something; but this almost never happens - you have to apply a lot of force to do this.

Usually, if a watch is described as "overwound", it just means it's not working. Hence, the owner will wind it up fully in the hopes that it will run, leaving no room to wind it up any more. This is a bit like saying the bathtub is "overfilled" when in fact the problem is that the drain is blocked!

I'm sure others here will have more intelligent comments about this piece.

Cheers,
    Paul

Thanks Amil, but he is having another problem I think. I posted on watch.ru myself... Авиационные часы АЧС-1 / Проблема с пружиной! Помогите пожалуйста!

I guess I will have to send it back to the eBay seller in Sweden... I am sad...

The clock has start/stop function. Try to turn right winding crown (the one with red arrow) counterclockwise to start the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by emoscambio View Post
    Thanks Amil, but he is having another problem I think. I posted on watch.ru myself... Авиационные часы АЧС-1 / Проблема с пружиной! Помогите пожалуйста!

I guess I will have to send it back to the eBay seller in Sweden... I am sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_ru View Post
    The clock has start/stop function. Try to turn right winding crown (the one with red arrow) counterclockwise to start the movement.

Emoscambio, if by chance, you still have that clock, I might be able to help you. I have one myself, just like yours. Mine, I found in a thrift store, several years ago, for a few dollars, and was intrigued enough by it to buy it. I just now found my way to this forum as a result of trying Google's Goggles app on my new Android phone, by searching on a picture of my clock. This thread, on this forum, was the only hit so far that I have found in English.

Shadow_ru has part of the right idea. The knob on the right, the one labeled ПУСК turn that knob counterclockwise. It has two positions, and clicks between them. Clockwise, stops the clock. Counterclockwise starts it again. Make sure it's in the clockwise position.

But there's more. If the clock is still stopped, push that knob, like a button. That has a three-position cycle. From running, pushing it once stops the clock. Pushing it again sets the second hand to zero; and a third push starts the clock running again.

Thread Information