Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Vostok Amphibia - Are all cases Stainless Steel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vostok Amphibia - Are all cases Stainless Steel?

I am an avid collector of Vostoks, and have about 30 of them of various vintage. Anyhow, I always assumed that Komanderskies used chrome-plated brass cases, and that Amphibian models (including Tonneau case, octagonal cases, and the current "standard" round case) all used stainless steel cases...

To my surprise last night, I discovered when disassembling a current production Amphibian model that the case appears to be chrome plated brass!!! I will try to post pictures later, but basically there was a very small portion of the case, underneath the rubber gasket, where the chrome had rubbed off... the portion exposed was brass color, and clearly not stainless steel!

Is this a recent change, or have I been mistaken all along in my belief that ALL Amphibian models used stainless steel cases? Incidently, this one was a "large crown" model with the 2416B movement, which appeared for all other intents and purposes identical to the other 31-jewel Amphhibian models in my possession.

Re: Vostok Amphibia - Are all cases Stainless Steel?

That sounds very odd! Are you absolutely certain that it is an Amphibia, satisfying every criteria of what makes one as against a Komandirskie?

Some pictures will be helpful too, I suppose.

I will try to post some pictures tonight, but the case is definitely the round case, and it is shaped identical to the current Amphibian cases... in enclosed space is also designed for the automatic movement, and not the 17-jewel handwind.
    Last edited by infinitime; June 17th, 2010 at 08:46.

Here are two pictures, the exposed brass area is seen in the marked red circle... any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitime View Post
    Here are two pictures, the exposed brass area is seen in the marked red circle... any thoughts?
    Modern Komadirskies (coin bezel, not ash-tray) have cases which are identical in shape to the current Amphibians.
    The only difference between them is that they are not Stainless Steel.

An example can be seen on Meranom:

Amphibian - http://www.meranom.com/amphibian-cla...ic-420370.html

Komandirskie - http://www.meranom.com/komandirskie-...47/921945.html

That said, Vostok appear to be winding down production of Komandirskies. Perhaps there wasn't much demand for them versus Amphibians?
    An interesting side-effect is that you can currently buy brand new, factory-built Amphibians with 200m water resistance, SS case, and a classic Komandirskie dial.
    They are most probably going to run out once the spare Komandirskie dials are all used up.

An example is here:

http://www.meranom.com/amphibian-cla...ic-420306.html

Infinitime,

The round case models have always been a bit tricky, as our learned friend Domi pointed out. Assuming the watch is totally original, the best way to distinguish between Komandirskie and Amphibia would be examining the actual construction, rather than looking at the case components themselves. There are a few older threads on this subject, I am sure you can find them quite easily.

However, the cross-compatibility of parts inherent in Vostok designs also means the innards of a Komandirskie can be transplanted into an Amphibia, and vice versa. Without actually examining the piece in question, it would also be a little difficult. One fact worth noting is that, even if a transplant operation has been done, it is quite unlikely that the crystal would be swapped over, so the characteristics of the Komandirskie or Amphibia crystal design would stay with the case.

Bearing this in mind, sellers tend to identify the models by dial designs alone and that can run into problems, as the factory used both dial designs interchangeably, up to a point.

That being said, according to your pictures, that particular spot can actually accumulate some dirt stains, even if it is stainless steel. If you feel like it, give it a good wash in soapy warm water and an old tooth brush and see if it comes off.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitime View Post
    I discovered when disassembling a current production Amphibian model that the case appears to be chrome plated brass!!!
    Mhhh. I was aware that some post-Soviet Amphibians were made in brass (sometime without arrow hands)...but if also current production uses brass sometime...

former Russian Watch Forum Moderator (2005-2012)

I'm not sure, a chrome plated case has this special very shiny luster that I haven't seen on any of my Amphibians
    Lover of watches from all around the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldheritage View Post
    I'm not sure, a chrome plated case has this special very shiny luster that I haven't seen on any of my Amphibians
    Years ago, i even found a Shturmanskie with chrome-plated caseback (used and with totally "naked" brass) . Post-Soviet years were (and still are) a total chaos, so i'm not surprised of the existence of chrome-plated Amphibians.

former Russian Watch Forum Moderator (2005-2012)

I'm not saying there aren't any out there. I'm merely saying that none of my modern Amphibia watches (including two ministry cases) appear to be chrome plated
    zekeryan56 likes this.
    Lover of watches from all around the globe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information