Vostok Mod - the Revival - Page 24
Like Tree1885Likes

Thread: Vostok Mod - the Revival

Page 24 of 102 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Re: Vostok Mod - the Revival

Personally, I'd be tempted to leave the hands, seal the dial, and restore the indices and dots back to white. Either way, nice look. It kind of reminds me of coral tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokifish View Post
    Personally, I'd be tempted to leave the hands, seal the dial, and restore the indices and dots back to white. Either way, nice look. It kind of reminds me of coral tree.
    I agree, that would give you the best of both. While you're at it, superlume that bad boy.

Just bought this (its on the way):

Then I saw this:

and decided to buy this:

and try my hand at my first mod.
    idvsego likes this.
    Wife: Don't you have enough watches?
    Me: Don't you have enough earrings?
    Wife: So, you're saying that watches are jewelry for Men?
    Me: That's exactly what I'm saying.
    Wife: Let's go shopping.

And that's how I got my last watch...

Update on the Vostok Bathysphere MK I project

This is going to be the dial design. The only change I can see happening at this point is how the waves turn out, but I don't have a lot of control over this. As I don't have the actual Vostok dial to work with it will have to be a velum print dial on the MK I.

The design pulls a lot from early Vostok Amphibia's, as well as Vostok Neptune's, and seems to balance nicely. The numbers and dots will be lumed while leaving the rest white. The center section will be hand etched transparent (maybe translucent) material. Then the etching will be filled with white paint and sealed. What's nice is that the solar panel separation gives the feel that the sphere is suspended by a cable. The only thing I wish is that the panel was blue instead of violet.

Here's the in process etching template. It's made from a hose clamp that's cut down, deburred, and sanded. Not looking forward to having to round off those peaks by hand to get the wave pattern but it's got to be done. Granted, it would probably be a lot easier if I wasn't doing this freehand with snadpaper and a Dremel. And yes, that ruler is marked in 0.5mm.
    Last edited by Lokifish; April 24th, 2017 at 21:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokifish View Post
    Update on the Vostok Bathysphere MK I project

This is going to be the dial design. The only change I can see happening at this point is how the waves turn out, but I don't have a lot of control over this. As I don't have the actual Vostok dial to work with it will have to be a velum print dial on the MK I.

The design pulls a lot from early Vostok Amphibia's, as well as Vostok Neptune's, and seems to balance nicely. The numbers and dots will be lumed while leaving the rest white. The center section will be hand etched transparent (maybe translucent) material. Then the etching will be filled with white paint and sealed. What's nice is that the solar panel separation gives the feel that the sphere is suspended by a cable. The only thing I wish is that the panel was blue instead of violet.

Here's the in process etching template. It's made from a hose clamp that's cut down, deburred, and sanded. Not looking forward to having to round off those peaks by hand to get the wave pattern but it's got to be done. Granted, it would probably be a lot easier if I wasn't doing this freehand with snadpaper and a Dremel. And yes, that ruler is marked in 0.5mm.
    OK, I'll bite, what is it?

Vostok Bathysphere MK I project
    Wife: Don't you have enough watches?
    Me: Don't you have enough earrings?
    Wife: So, you're saying that watches are jewelry for Men?
    Me: That's exactly what I'm saying.
    Wife: Let's go shopping.

And that's how I got my last watch...

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    OK, I'll bite, what is it?

Vostok Bathysphere MK I project
    First posted about it here.

Quick specs;

Brushed Vostok 420 case
    Brushed smooth bezel
    Brushed crown
    2209 Amphibia case back
    Komandirskie crystal (required for the smooth transition profile)
    Custom two piece dial
    Solar analog movement
    1 CST pure silicone oil filled case

Everything but the silicone is stuff from my parts bin.

Result- An ultra thin (sub-12mm) diver with self hydrating seals that's capable of extreme WR. And it doesn't need to be opened for decades unless there's a HW failure. Even with all new parts, the HW would cost less than Neptune.
    Last edited by Lokifish; April 25th, 2017 at 01:18.

Right on! Solar movements are the best quartz movements, IMO. Will you need to manufacture a custom movement ring / stem / crown?

This may be a silly question but how does one adjust the time / date / movement settings when the case is filled with oil?

Movement holders are the easiest part, you can even make them out of plastic bottle caps if you want. The crown, and most of the stem, stays stock. What will happen is the end of the stem that sits in the movement will be replaced. This can be done with adapter tubes or a spot weld. The hardest part is actually getting the play and length correct.

Like most water resistant screw down crown designs, there is a gasket the stem slides through in addition to the crown seal. In the case of the Amphibia's stem seal, low pressure differences like this should work fine. If not, then making a new tighter gasket using a tube of off the shelf semi-rigid sealant will work. It's part of the same process I used to make a non-water resistant LCD display smartwatch 20m real world water resistant about a year ago.

Name:  IMG_0538.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  2.57 MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the 70's. It was time to bring in more colour - spring time in germany is dreary and cold.
    It is the first trial....some further optimization required. I will switch the second hand to blue... or select a more powerful yellow for the ring

Name:  IMG_2044.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  199.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2056.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  155.7 KB

Page 24 of 102 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread Information