Vostok Mod - the Revival - Page 7
Like Tree1913Likes

Thread: Vostok Mod - the Revival

Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Re: Vostok Mod - the Revival

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    This seller seems to have new / NOS examples of the acrylic skinny bezels that meranom has re-issued with aluminum inserts. Are these modern reproductions? Or did he have a stash of unused examples?

Rant, bezel for wristwatches Vostok Amphibian Komandirskije new | eBay
    These are now well-known fakes. The most obvious sign is the upside-down "30". There are a few other differences when doing close comparisons.
    Last edited by Arizone; April 2nd, 2017 at 01:51.
    dmnc likes this.

At the corner of Ghetto & Gang, Aurora, IL USA

This seller seems to have new / NOS examples of the acrylic skinny bezels that meranom has re-issued with aluminum inserts. Are these modern reproductions? Or did he have a stash of unused examples?

Rant, bezel for wristwatches Vostok Amphibian Komandirskije new | eBay
    Attachment 11380650
    Attachment 11380658
    Those are the horrible fakes that have the '30' upside down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow you are right, and I do remember the discussion about them from a while back. I feel like a total noob! Thats too bad, someone went through all the trouble and didnt even get it right! Hopefully another batch can be made.

Hey folks, as a reminder do no engage with trolls, report them instead so we can take care of them. It makes our jobs harder if you engage and quote their foolishness.

Thanks

Wow you are right, and I do remember the discussion about them from a while back. I feel like a total noob! Thats too bad, someone went through all the trouble and didnt even get it right! Hopefully another batch can be made.
    It's a tricky subject, you wouldn't want them passing off fakes as originals either, although having new parts when older ones are harder to come by has its benefits. Meranom has plenty of new-style ones in stock if you don't care for exact originality, and they're also steel not brass.

A simple one (for jetcash to compare)
    DocTone and herdingwetcats like this.

Are there any options for matte finish bezels other than pers? He rarely if ever seems to have them available. I am staying away from matte finish cases because I cant find a bezel to match (everything I see is either brushed or polished) but sometimes I see a good deal on a matte finish model.
    The 'cold steel' edition 'Atlas one' bezels with their knurled edge from Dr Seikostain look great on the matte case, and you can choose any insert to go in. I particularly like this gunmetal grey one........but I think it's out of stock a the moment.

Name:  IMG_3139a.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  1.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    It's a tricky subject, you wouldn't want them passing off fakes as originals either, although having new parts when older ones are harder to come by has its benefits. Meranom has plenty of new-style ones in stock if you don't care for exact originality, and they're also steel not brass.
    I can understand the sentiment, but sometimes I feel like people are more concerned about the value of their vintage dropping more than anything (not that I am accusing you or anyone of this).

Given the choice between a reproduction that does not look right but is identifiable as a repro, and one that is perfectly on the dot but runs the risk of being mistaken as a vintage, I think that the second option is preferable. Perhaps a scrupulous manufacturer would include some kind of mark or stamp in a non-visible location, but I doubt it. I think the reality is that anyone who would go through the trouble of manufacturing a perfect replica would recognize that there is more money to be made in at least attempting to pass it off as original, or making it so that their distributors / customers would try to pass it off as original.

I dont think that is such a big deal. There are probably many ways to accurately assess the condition / originality of a watch, and when parts do not all match each other in condition, the watch is suspect (or a franken at best). And if, hypothetically speaking, there was a reproduction that was so good that you couldnt tell it was such, even after examining the movement, what does it matter? It is as good as vintage (and for the record, this is an almost totally unfounded fear as no one will be going through such trouble for what are relatively low value watches).

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin View Post
    The 'cold steel' edition 'Atlas one' bezels with their knurled edge from Dr Seikostain look great on the matte case, and you can choose any insert to go in. I particularly like this gunmetal grey one........but I think it's out of stock a the moment.
    That looks good! He has one left. 40 for a bezel + a separate insert is almost the cost of the watch I am modding; I think I will give the sterile arkustime bezel a try and report back. Hopefully it will be another good option for modders
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; April 2nd, 2017 at 09:26.

Is it easy to remove the wire from the original bezel and put it into a new bezel? Like an arkustime bezel? I'm thinking of doing a bezel mod.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeOrange View Post
    Is it easy to remove the wire from the original bezel and put it into a new bezel? Like an arkustime bezel? I'm thinking of doing a bezel mod.
    Basically yes. Here you find a nice Tutorial : Murphy Manufacturing Co., Inc.
    Handle it with patience ...that's it.
    Last edited by DocTone; April 2nd, 2017 at 10:56.

Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information