What did you buy today? - Page 28
Like Tree1025Likes

Thread: What did you buy today?

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 370
  1. #271
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    5,809

    Re: What did you buy today?

    Not a lot to go on, but certainly a very rare dial.


    Name:  collage.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  1.37 MB


    Same here:


    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 23.22.01.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  109.2 KB


    Again, gotta wait for after photos 🙃

  2. #272
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: What did you buy today?

    How much restoration do you do these days other than cleaning? Lume?

  3. #273
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    5,809

    Re: What did you buy today?

    Quote Originally Posted by watch22 View Post
    How much restoration do you do these days other than cleaning? Lume?
    Pretty much everything except a full service. While I'm technically capable of stripping a watch to its component parts, cleaning them, and putting it all back together (at least a three-hand watch and most basic calendars -- no chronographs for me, thanks), I'm pretty clumsy overall and usually end up requiring a spare for that part I sent pinging across the room. So I generally leave servicing to a professional.

    But anything cosmetic, I'm game. For example, on the EWA, I'll probably do the following:

    • Brush away surface dirt from the dial (it looks pretty weathered and there's no changing that)
    • Source and fit a proper second hand (and pinion, if necessary)
    • Relume (actually, repaint) the hour and minute hands
    • Clean and buff the case
    • Polish or replace the crystal

    I promise after pictures when all is said and done 👍

  4. #274
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: What did you buy today?

    Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Pretty much everything except a full service. While I'm technically capable of stripping a watch to its component parts, cleaning them, and putting it all back together (at least a three-hand watch and most basic calendars -- no chronographs for me, thanks), I'm pretty clumsy overall and usually end up requiring a spare for that part I sent pinging across the room. So I generally leave servicing to a professional.

    But anything cosmetic, I'm game. For example, on the EWA, I'll probably do the following:

    • Brush away surface dirt from the dial (it looks pretty weathered and there's no changing that)
    • Source and fit a proper second hand (and pinion, if necessary)
    • Relume (actually, repaint) the hour and minute hands
    • Clean and buff the case
    • Polish or replace the crystal

    I promise after pictures when all is said and done 
    That's a lot - and keeps the watch "original". Just cleaning.

    That's sounds appealing to me to learn; in the way learning to play the piano sounds appealing (only it it takes no effort or time ). Maybe some day.

    I only buy cosmetically clean watches now - preferably NOS. No need for any service.

    That's why my recent purchases have been children watches - they seem to be plentiful in good condition. That, and the fact that you're Hoovering up all the good watches!
    mroatman likes this.

  5. #275
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    5,809

    Re: What did you buy today?

    Quote Originally Posted by watch22 View Post
    That, and the fact that you're Hoovering up all the good watches!
    Haven't bought a watch from eBay in weeks! They're all yours!


    Quote Originally Posted by watch22 View Post
    That's a lot - and keeps the watch "original". Just cleaning.
    That's sounds appealing to me to learn; in the way learning to play the piano sounds appealing (only it it takes no effort or time ). Maybe some day.
    More info: For Beginners: Exterior Watch Detailing (videos)

  6. #276
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    38

    Re: What did you buy today?

    So after opening up all of this.

    Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

  7. #277
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    38

    Re: What did you buy today?

    I found this. . .

    Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

  8. #278
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    38

    Re: What did you buy today?

    Which in turn contained this. It looks like the seller through in some sweet cufflinks! What a guy!

    Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    watch22, schnurrp, DJW GB and 6 others like this.

  9. #279
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    482

    Re: What did you buy today?

    A Slava 2414. From the eighties?

    I'm almost shamed to admit that I paid a whopping 3 EUR.

    Works perfectly, its coat of Au10 gold is pretty much intact. Also manages to strip the skin of my fingers if I want to wind it fully.

    The twin barrel movement is a bit reluctant to communicate when enough is enough, besides that, stopping when one usually would brings the power reserve to about 36 hours, while being a bit (and that's a gross understatement, if I say so myself) more determined brings it up to nearly 42 hours. As I understand, the factory specification would be 45 hours.

    I haven't put it on a timegrapher yet but I can only imagine a service would be in order. As for its accuracy, it seems to be doing well in its present state. About 0s per day in the dial up position, varying within -+3s during the period. I expect a noticeable positional variation, though.

    A collage of the seller's photos, for now. It's hard to see this but the hour and minute hands are blued, seconds hand is gold.

    Name:  Slava_collage_original_photos.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  241.4 KB

  10. #280
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Liege Belgium
    Posts
    288

    Re: What did you buy today?

    Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Unfortunately, the case is not original to the dial. That said, the dial is exceptionally rare.

    Originally this had a "swing-lug" case with crown guard:
    The case I bought is obviously not a type 250 but rather a type 020. Also the dial on mine has no date window, which makes the dial more symetric and nicer IMO.

    That same seller also propose this one with same dial.... Is it legit ?

    Name:  il_fullxfull.1177215166_n8pv.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  258.0 KB

    Name:  il_fullxfull.1177215206_aamy.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  262.2 KB
    Last edited by Clockworkblueorange; 1 Week Ago at 20:46.

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. junkman

Similar Threads

  1. WRUW today photos - did you take it today?
    By jugnu in forum Public Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: January 18th, 2014, 11:59
  2. Did you buy a watch just because everyone else on here did?
    By findingnewo in forum Affordable watches
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: October 7th, 2013, 20:36
  3. I Did It Like This, I Did It Like That, I Did It With A...
    By HelloNasty1 in forum Casio G-Shock
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: November 30th, 2011, 03:30
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: November 28th, 2010, 05:59
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 11th, 2009, 05:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •