What did you buy today? - Page 29
Like Tree1038Likes

Thread: What did you buy today?

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Re: What did you buy today?

Clockworkblueorange - I have my doubts. The dial looks too clean and there isn't any discolouration to the lume dots which I would expect. The hands also appear to be post-Soviet (the lume strip on the minute hand was longer). The caseback is also one I associate with the 1990s and not the Soviet era.

Nice find on the minute hand Neruda

At least the one I choose has a longer lumed minute hand, but the lume on the hand looks older than the lume on the dial... I still wonder if the dial is a NOS or a fake...

Name:  il_fullxfull.1212497959_tsol.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  94.4 KB

Double post.. sorry

On its way, obtained through the very kind help of comrade Don_Pedalis, who went above and beyond in (1) purchasing this watch in person, (2) having it serviced, (3) having the original damaged internal index ring replaced with a clean one from another Slava Amphibian, and (4) sending a spare crown as well. Three cheers for Don_Pedalis, and thank you for the help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA050003.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	418.9 KB 
ID:	12573003
    Chascomm, schnurrp, DJW GB and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworkblueorange View Post
    .. I still wonder if the dial is a NOS or a fake...
    My gut feeling is that the dial is from the mythical "Chiotopol" factory. It's just too clean and the lume looks machine applied and too small for that era of watch dials. With the sudden appearance of so many relatively rare dials it sort of points to the dials being fake/reproduction.
    Hidden Content

--The Watch Slayer--
    Hidden Content

This just arrived at my doorstep, so let me present my Франкенштейн, или Современный Полёт. In short, Frankenpoljot!

I really don't like to buy watches that aren't completely original and I had my share of doubts whether I should... but I did. The upside is that I got it for about 25 EUR so there's room for improvement without breaking the bank.

I'm far from being an expert on Poljot 2209 but my take on this is:

- originally made somewhere between 1964 and 1968
    - replaced crown and glass (quite high domed)
    - original case, original dial and possibly original hands
    - movement original to the period apart from the entire balance bridge (including the regulator, balance complete, etc.).

The entire balance bridge is from a newer version of the movement, with beat adjustment lever and newer balance type... Far from ideal, I know! But, instead of gathering the peasants to burn the place down, this Frankenpoljot is now likely to get another chance.

A collage of seller's photos, until I get a chance to make some of my own:

Name:  Poljot_collage_original_photos.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  207.9 KB

It's to early to say anything about how it performs, but it's winding very smoothly and ticking nicely...

Any comments whether my description is correct or not are highly appreciated!
    Neruda, elsoldemayo and Sansoni7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworkblueorange View Post
    Nice find on the minute hand Neruda
    At least the one I choose has a longer lumed minute hand, but the lume on the hand looks older than the lume on the dial... I still wonder if the dial is a NOS or a fake...
    Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post
    My gut feeling is that the dial is from the mythical "Chiotopol" factory. It's just too clean and the lume looks machine applied and too small for that era of watch dials. With the sudden appearance of so many relatively rare dials it sort of points to the dials being fake/reproduction.
    I have to agree with Mario here. I wasn't aware of a fake version of this dial, but it appears it now joins the ranks of other frankendials.

Did the seller advertise this watch as authentic? Were you hoping for authentic?

If yes, you have ample grounds to issue a return/refund. If not, then enjoy it :)

Quote Originally Posted by LightDot View Post
    This just arrived at my doorstep, so let me present my Франкенштейн, или Современный Полёт. In short, Frankenpoljot!
    You have a good eye for detail and have clearly done your research -- but I would not call this a franken. To me, this term carries with it an implication of illegitimacy, and in the case of your lovely Poljot, I don't think that's true. Repaired, yes, but not franken.

The parts you mention (balance, crystal, crown) are perhaps the three most commonly-serviced parts in the normal lifespan of a watch, at least in my experience. Crystals crack, crowns get worn out, balances stop swinging. These things happen, and replacement components don't de-legitimize a watch in any way.

These replacements could have been made years ago by the original owner, or done last week to give the watch new life. But the major components of the watch all fit together perfectly and appear authentic. Chiefly, I see a nice original dial in excellent condition, a proper hand set, the correct old-style case with extra thick gold-plating and curved lugs, an appropriate caseback with circular brushing, and a period-correct movement with pentagon 1MWF logo.

In my opinion, you found a very nice, legitimate watch -- especially for the price -- and personally I would wear it with pride 👍

I'd like to think I got pretty lucky with this one:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 13.01.27.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  288.6 KB

Not well known, but found inside is a rare-ish 21-jewel 1MWF export movement. I doubt I'll ever get my hands on the Sekonda diver, so this will have to do for now.

I think after a clean/polish/relume, it'll look as good as this one, which sold last week for $103/delivered (!):

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 13.12.11.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  279.5 KB

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread Information