What did you buy today? - Page 31
Like Tree994Likes

Thread: What did you buy today?

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Re: What did you buy today?

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    You have a good eye for detail and have clearly done your research -- but I would not call this a franken. To me, this term carries with it an implication of illegitimacy, and in the case of your lovely Poljot, I don't think that's true. Repaired, yes, but not franken.

The parts you mention (balance, crystal, crown) are perhaps the three most commonly-serviced parts in the normal lifespan of a watch, at least in my experience. Crystals crack, crowns get worn out, balances stop swinging. These things happen, and replacement components don't de-legitimize a watch in any way.

These replacements could have been made years ago by the original owner, or done last week to give the watch new life. But the major components of the watch all fit together perfectly and appear authentic. Chiefly, I see a nice original dial in excellent condition, a proper hand set, the correct old-style case with extra thick gold-plating and curved lugs, an appropriate caseback with circular brushing, and a period-correct movement with pentagon 1MWF logo.

In my opinion, you found a very nice, legitimate watch -- especially for the price -- and personally I would wear it with pride 👍
    Thanks! It's getting a new strap today and I'm going to do just that, wear it. Heh, the old strap was the only thing that really did need cleansing with fire...

Anyway, I see your point and agree, it's bit too harsh calling it a Franken. All and all, it's a beautiful and mostly original watch. The crown and glass never were an issue for me, those are expendable parts and easily replaceable, just the balance bridge. But even the bridge and related parts are still original Poljot 2209 parts, albeit newer ones, so no harm there either. I might remedy that some time in the future though, but there's no rush.

I'm pleasantly surprised, the watch lost 2s in the past 12h, dial up. I'm pretty sure it would benefit from a service, but it seems to be chugging along nicely.
    mroatman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    I'm sorry, I've gone back through the past five pages and cannot find your post. Can you link it or repost?

I've run a search for "M Silgar Poljot" and only found one example (here). If this is the watch you're talking about, I have no idea what the "M Silgar" referrs to. Perhaps it's a company that ordered a small number of customized watches for their employees.
    Thanks mroatman.
    Here it is my post:

What did you buy today?

https://70swatchesgallery.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/silgar-watches/#more-1358

http://www.russianwatchguide.com/ussr-time.htm
    Last edited by Sansoni7; 4 Days Ago at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansoni7 View Post

A short run logo dial run for a SILGAR company?

A quick search did not turn up that logo.
    mroatman likes this.

Here are a couple more Silgars from the Internet. Perhaps M(ount?) Silgar was a retailer which sold both Soviet and Swiss watches (marked"extra"?) under their own brand.
    Name:  silgar1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  256.1 KB
    Name:  silgar2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  30.4 KB
    oscarfranciscovich likes this.

And another Swiss Silgar. What language is the day/date window?
    Name:  silgar3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  167.6 KB
    armanh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neruda View Post
    Here are a couple more Silgars from the Internet. Perhaps M(ount?) Silgar was a retailer which sold both Soviet and Swiss watches (marked"extra"?) under their own brand.
    Good stuff, comrade Neruda. Where was chrono made?

And another Swiss Silgar. What language is the day/date window?
    Name:  silgar3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  167.6 KB
    Portuguese language ( Terça feira_ «Tuesday» in English.)

Yes, but in my example, the watch has two «brands», «Poljot»...and «M Silgar».

I guess that Sansoni/'s example has both the names of the retailer, Silgar, and the manufacturer, Poljot. Many retailers used to brand Swiss watches with their own name, but perhaps in this case Poljot didn't want to completely cede its association with the watch.

Silgar Extra seem to be all made in Switzerland. The chronograph I showed has a genuine Swiss Valjoux movement.

Here's another Russian Silgar pocket-watch: https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/relgio-si...tml#a12d6f41cb Reminds me a bit of Serkisof, a Turkish firm which sold Soviet watches to the railway company in Turkey.

Finally another Swiss Silgar with a Portuguese day/date (I think), which perhaps strengthens the possibility that Silgar was a retailer/importer based in Portugal:
    Name:  silgar4.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  38.0 KB

I owned both the Komanderiske and the Amphbia.
    Komanderiske with it's Rube Goldberg style date setting not withstanding is a fave.
    The Amphibia nit so much. He and I didn't share the right chemistry somehow
    Svetlansa at Christopal City must've been sampling the tater juice the day she cased
    the Amphib!!! So it found it's way to Goodwill. My watchmaker refused to look at it.
    No mo Amphibias fer me!!!

X Traindriver Art

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread Information