Like Tree6Likes

Thread: When is my SERKISOF pocket watch, manufactured?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When is my SERKISOF pocket watch, manufactured?

Hi all, pocket watches is a new thing for me and I have a question:
    When is my SERKISOF pocket watch, manufactured?

/Anders

Name:  IMG_20121023_113334.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  510.9 KBName:  IMG_20121023_113354.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  576.4 KBName:  IMG_20121023_113459.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  587.8 KBName:  IMG_20121023_113611.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  539.8 KBName:  IMG_20121023_113722.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  457.8 KB

phd

Re: When is my SERKISOF pocket watch, manufactured?

I'm not an expert on that movement, but it looks like a Molnija movement to me.

Cheers,
    Paul
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency - McCarthy

I would guess '80s to early '90s. It's a soviet-era but the movement lacks the markings of the really early ones.

Yes, as Paul replied, this is a Soviet Molniya watch in all but the branding.

Serkisof was an Istanbul-based jeweler and importer of Soviet watches for the Turkish market -not just this beautiful railroad (Demiryolu) Molniya but many other Soviet makes - the Turko-soviet equivalent of Sekonda, Cornavin,etc. As for the period, I don't know much about Molniyas, but I would think 1970-80s (??? - I'm sure others could be more specific).

On a side note, a laudable tradition of railroad watches seems to have existed in Turkey: excellent wrist (often late 1950s to 1970s Corteberts and Atomiks) and pocket watches (usually Molniya-Serkisof) bearing the winged wheel of the Turkish State Railroads, possibly gifted to Turkish Railroad workers on retirement, or on completion of so many years of service... I ignore the details, but perhaps Turkish members of this forum could enlighten us...

Anyway, a really beautiful watch!

H.

There was one on Munich's flea market last Friday.

Pristine, well actually probably quite new (1985), not stamped but with this greyish fake patina with a train and Demiryolu on it.

For f-r-e-a-k-i-n-g 100 Euro!!! A Turkish seller.

No way to have it for 12 Euro (what I usually pay for good USSR Molnia, more or less).

I then bought an automatic CCCP Lady's Zaria instead. For 12 Euro :)

I had actually forgotten my wallet at home, so that the coins in my pocket were my daily budget. 12 Euro! 16 USD! 490 2012-Russian rubles! 17 1985-Soviet Rubles! ... A fortune compared to original selling price of a Molniya!
    serdal23 likes this.
    Авиатор ‣ АВР ‣ Аврора ‣ Агат ‣ Адмиральские ‣ Амфибия ‣ АЧВ ‣ АЧС ‣ Буран ‣ Волна ‣ Восток ‣ Генеральские ‣ Денисов ‣ Заря ‣ Звезда ‣ ЗиМ ‣ Кировские ‣ Командирские ‣ Луч ‣ Маяк ‣ Мир ‣ Молния ‣ Москва ‣ Наири ‣ Океан ‣ Орион ‣ Победа ‣ Полёт ‣ Пионер ‣ Ракета ‣ Родина ‣ Россия ‣ Сатурн ‣ Сигнал ‣ Слава ‣ Спортивные ‣ Спутник ‣ Стрела ‣ Хрусталь ‣ Чайка ‣ Штурманские ‣ Электроника ‣ ЯнтарьAlba ‣ Aspor ‣ AviatorSwiss ‣ Blonex ‣ Błonie ‣ Car'n'Driver ‣ Chateau ‣ Citizen ‣ Clipper ‣ Deuta ‣ Enicar ‣ Franklin ‣ Fuji ‣ Glashütte ‣ Glycine ‣ Gruen ‣ HenriGireaux ‣ Junghans ‣ Junkers ‣ Karex ‣ Lip ‣ LordElgin ‣ Mido ‣ Moeris ‣ Onsa ‣ Orient ‣ ParaNeptun ‣ Plymouth ‣ Poltik ‣ Premira ‣ Prim ‣ Primato ‣ Rega ‣ Ricoh ‣ Rivado ‣ Royal ‣ Royce ‣ Ruhla ‣ RWUE ‣ Seca ‣ Seiko ‣ Shanghai ‣ Silvia ‣ Thiel ‣ TimeRite ‣ Tissot ‣ UMF ‣ Ursacord ‣ VostokEurope ‣ Yrda ‣ Zentra ‣ Zeppelin ‣ ZMP ‣ Zodiac

"I had actually forgotten my wallet at home, so that the coins in my pocket were my daily budget. 12 Euro! 16 USD! 490 2012-Russian rubles! 17 1985-Soviet Rubles! ... A fortune compared to original selling price of a Molniya!"

Emoscambio, out of curiosity, how much would be a Molniya's selling price (in Soviet rubles), say back in the mid-1980s?

Many thanks,

H.

phd

//the Turko-soviet equivalent of Sekonda, Cornavin,etc.//

Does anyone know if any Petrodvoretz-made ("Raketa") watches were rebranded for the Turkish market?

Paul.
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency - McCarthy

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Николай71 View Post
    Yes, as Paul replied, this is a Soviet Molniya watch in all but the branding.

Serkisof was an Istanbul-based jeweler and importer of Soviet watches for the Turkish market -not just this beautiful railroad (Demiryolu) Molniya but many other Soviet makes - the Turko-soviet equivalent of Sekonda, Cornavin,etc. As for the period, I don't know much about Molniyas, but I would think 1970-80s (??? - I'm sure others could be more specific).

On a side note, a laudable tradition of railroad watches seems to have existed in Turkey: excellent wrist (often late 1950s to 1970s Corteberts and Atomiks) and pocket watches (usually Molniya-Serkisof) bearing the winged wheel of the Turkish State Railroads, possibly gifted to Turkish Railroad workers on retirement, or on completion of so many years of service...
    All I can add to the above is that this particular example looks like the real deal Turkish Railways watch. Following on from the Cortebert and other watches supplied by Serkisof for the railways, this Molnija watch was produced to railway specifications.

Later examples of this design in the robust railway case were made by Molnija for general use and lack the 'Demiryolu' inscription and 'Quality Guarantee' dust cover. They were also made with the Molnija brand for Soviet domestic and export sale, and exported under various foreign brands such as Sekonda (UK) and Marathon (Canada).
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Name:  2737757276.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  22.0 KB
    Name:  2737757276_1.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  29.6 KB
    Chascomm and serdal23 like this.
    Авиатор ‣ АВР ‣ Аврора ‣ Агат ‣ Адмиральские ‣ Амфибия ‣ АЧВ ‣ АЧС ‣ Буран ‣ Волна ‣ Восток ‣ Генеральские ‣ Денисов ‣ Заря ‣ Звезда ‣ ЗиМ ‣ Кировские ‣ Командирские ‣ Луч ‣ Маяк ‣ Мир ‣ Молния ‣ Москва ‣ Наири ‣ Океан ‣ Орион ‣ Победа ‣ Полёт ‣ Пионер ‣ Ракета ‣ Родина ‣ Россия ‣ Сатурн ‣ Сигнал ‣ Слава ‣ Спортивные ‣ Спутник ‣ Стрела ‣ Хрусталь ‣ Чайка ‣ Штурманские ‣ Электроника ‣ ЯнтарьAlba ‣ Aspor ‣ AviatorSwiss ‣ Blonex ‣ Błonie ‣ Car'n'Driver ‣ Chateau ‣ Citizen ‣ Clipper ‣ Deuta ‣ Enicar ‣ Franklin ‣ Fuji ‣ Glashütte ‣ Glycine ‣ Gruen ‣ HenriGireaux ‣ Junghans ‣ Junkers ‣ Karex ‣ Lip ‣ LordElgin ‣ Mido ‣ Moeris ‣ Onsa ‣ Orient ‣ ParaNeptun ‣ Plymouth ‣ Poltik ‣ Premira ‣ Prim ‣ Primato ‣ Rega ‣ Ricoh ‣ Rivado ‣ Royal ‣ Royce ‣ Ruhla ‣ RWUE ‣ Seca ‣ Seiko ‣ Shanghai ‣ Silvia ‣ Thiel ‣ TimeRite ‣ Tissot ‣ UMF ‣ Ursacord ‣ VostokEurope ‣ Yrda ‣ Zentra ‣ Zeppelin ‣ ZMP ‣ Zodiac

Quote Originally Posted by Николай71 View Post
    possibly gifted to Turkish Railroad workers on retirement, or on completion of so many years of service...
    it is correct.
    Turkish State Railways gave this watches to workers when they retired. But now, there is not tradition like this because of inadequate appropriations.
    In 80's, this Demiryolu watches were very common item among Turkish family. They were thinking Soviet Products are very solid than European or Japanese product. And I guess they were right. Because many of this watches still working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by phd View Post

Does anyone know if any Petrodvoretz-made ("Raketa") watches were rebranded for the Turkish market?

Paul.
    I think, Raketa was sold as Raketa. Because I see some Raketa Perpetual and another Raketa dress watch on Turkish auction site on internet. But not much. Some Turkish seller want to much money for ordinary Raketa dress watch on this sites.
    emoscambio and serdal23 like this.
    my russian watch collection:
    http://2209su.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information