Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Casio AE-1000W - review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Off topic Casio AE-1000W - review

Hi,
    It's not a G so the thread is slightly off-topic really but it's one hell of a watch considering the price - the AE-1000W-1AVEF (this version is not on the Casio USA homepage however). I picked it up from the post office yesterday and I'm still pretty excited about what you get for an MSRP of 25€ (in europe - I guess in the US it's even cheaper).
    So here comes a little unboxing and a review:
    nice pattern on the cardboardbox:

after removing blister-foil and protectice crystal cover:

Nice nerdy vintage 80s design:

It's bigger than I thought from the pictures - the digits are 6mm high - bigger than most Gs - similar to the G-3010. The display is crisp and clear. The mini-dial takes a little getting used to but is also easy enough to read. The mini-map is a very cool feature and adds to the vintage look.

Still set to the time-zone of Tokyo - as you can see on the map.

I prefer the all-black version over the others - it makes the watch look nice and stealthy and in fact it doesn't look cheap I think. The slightly domed acrylic crystal adds to the look:

The overall quality is good enough - especially considering the price:
    - resin case
    - steel back (marked 'Made in China')
    - soft resin strap
    - black plastic buckle
    - wears very comfy on my wrist
    - the buttons are nice and easy to press and so far I haven't managed to press the 'search/start/stop'-button by accident

Let's come to the features which combine some elements not found in many other Casios:
    - pressing 'search' in the time-keeping screen switches between home-time and 3 additional time-zones that can be set freely and of course be adjusted to DST on/off - you can swap those time zones with the home-time by pressing adjust+light
    Tokyo time - time 4:

- world-time: 48 cities and 31 time-zones which you can also swap with your home-time by pressing adj+light at the same time

UTC doesn't get marked on the mini-map - only the 'normal' time-zones

- 5 Alarms setable as one-time or daily alarms
    there is a little twist here - when you press adjust and the digits start blinking the alarm-type is always set to one-time alarm - at first I thought this was stupid but after a day of use I noticed that I use the one-time alarm far more often than I need a daily alarm - so when the alarm sounds I press any button to stop it and that's it. No need to go to the alarm menu and turn off the alarm so it doesn't sound the next day when you don't need it - pretty good idea. Of course when you set it for daily alarm the alarm simply stays that way till you switch it off, but once you change the alarm time you'd have to change the alarm type to 'daily' again. There's no snooze alarm but you can't have everything I guess . The alarms are pretty loud (louder than most G-Shocks) and sound for 10 sec.

- 24 hr timer setable to the second and also shows 1/10 sec - not really necessary but nice because it gives you an instant optical feedback if you have started the timer correctly - useful when the watch is muted:

- then there's a 24 hr stopwatch - not much to say about it - Casio standard with the possibilty to take split time readings and two finishes:

What I like very much about that watch is the analogue LCD mini-dial (it even shows the seconds) that basically makes it an ana-digi without the normal disadvantages of an ana-digi: no hands obscuring the display and no moving parts - which means greater shock resistance and more room inside the case for a big battery - after all it's marketed as a 10-year-battery model (CR2025).
    Something which adds much to the vintage appeal of the watch is the LED backlight that lights the whole display in a nice amber color and works even better than I thought (have to take a picture of that) - much better than the vintage mini-lightbulbs in fact. The upper left display indicates the 'mute', 'alm' and 'sig' markers btw - in case somebody was wondering why it's empty . After one day the watch runs still in sync with my GW-2500B wich makes me think it will run much better than the specs say (+/-30sec/month).

wristshot:

when you're used to wearing G-Shocks it's pretty slim:

conclusion:
    - a very nice vintage looking watch with crisp display and a great feature set at an unbeatable price
    The only downside for some might be the acrylic crystal 'cause it's not really protected by the bezel and scratches easily - however you can buff out those scratches easily too with some cell-phone display polish. And it might be possible for people who wear the watch in front of the wristbone to accidentally switch time-zones by pressing 'search' - hasn't happened to me however so far.
    For the price I think this is a strong buy for everybody with a love for that extra nerdy 80s vintage look and for those that want excellent features for little money .

edit:
    pic with the lights on (looks much better in reality but I never figured out how to do good night shots so far ):

You get an idea at least - when pushing the light button at night it's perfectly legible across the whole dial - even the little analogue LCD mini-dial. The color looks different too - more of an amber color without that strange green tint I got in the pic.

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; May 8th, 2010 at 23:16.
    G-Shocks: GW-9200,G-9300,AWG-M100B,GD-350,DW-9900,2xGX-56,GW-2500B,DW-5000SL,2xGW-6900,G-2900,G-3010,G-3011,G-5500,2xG-7600,4xG-7710,3xG-7900,5xG-8000,G-8100,2xDW-6900,GT-001,G-7800,3xGL-7500; Casio: PRG-270,PRG-240,PAW-500,SGW-300,DB-E30,DB-37,DW-290,AE-1000W,W-S200,2xW-S220,AMW-707,AQ-S810,EFD-1000
    Citizen BM6831,Suunto X-Lander,Angular Momentum Illum 2,Tressa wristalarm,2 Poljot wristalarms,Sorna wristalarm,Seiko SNK807,J.Springs BEB023

Re: Casio AE-1000W - review

Thanks for the great review and pictures, Sedi.
    With its vintage and definitely not cheap looking watch at this price.
    Am gonna get one soon. Just thinking if I can pull this off.

Great job Sedi ,great job Casio
    Last edited by isometrus; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:48.

Really nice review.

This watch has a huge appeal to me, I'm a sucker for nerdy and vintage things....lol....

The 10-year battery and the price of the watch are a steal.
    I Am Jack's Colon

:thanks for the comments .

Greetings, Sedi
    G-Shocks: GW-9200,G-9300,AWG-M100B,GD-350,DW-9900,2xGX-56,GW-2500B,DW-5000SL,2xGW-6900,G-2900,G-3010,G-3011,G-5500,2xG-7600,4xG-7710,3xG-7900,5xG-8000,G-8100,2xDW-6900,GT-001,G-7800,3xGL-7500; Casio: PRG-270,PRG-240,PAW-500,SGW-300,DB-E30,DB-37,DW-290,AE-1000W,W-S200,2xW-S220,AMW-707,AQ-S810,EFD-1000
    Citizen BM6831,Suunto X-Lander,Angular Momentum Illum 2,Tressa wristalarm,2 Poljot wristalarms,Sorna wristalarm,Seiko SNK807,J.Springs BEB023

So my AE-1000W (my AE-1000W-1BVDF-WW to be exact) just arrived from JustCalculators. First, I want to give a strong recommendation to JustCalculators. The watch was only $24 with free shipping, which is a steal. Also, I ordered the watch on Monday at 2am, and it arrived from Los Angeles to Chicago by Wednesday. Pretty darn good for free shipping.

The watch itself is totally geeky. I feel like some super villain wearing it, with the map of the world next to the radar-looking analog time. I feel like I'm controlling a laser that is going to blow up the world! But on a less cheesey note, this watch has one of the simplest and most intuitive modules I have seen on a digital watch with so many features. Every mode follows a logical configuration and you probably won't have to go back to the manual to figure this watch out in the future. I love Casio watches but sometimes the directions are confusing for setting up the features you want to use.

Everything is really simple, from the 4-time zones you can access on the home screen, to the world time, to the 5 alarms, and of course the watch has a countdown timer and stopwatch. What more could you want? Also, the backlight is awesome for a non-EL glow.

For 24 dollars you cannot go wrong with this watch. If I traveled a lot this would definitely be a consideration for a digital watch. Big thumbs up.
    I Am Jack's Colon

Nice review, I am considering buying one of these!

Ive seen a few of these on ebay and due to your review sedi im going to get one, ive not got a world time watch so this fits the bill, plus i thought as you did that it was a smalller watch, ive also ordered a sea pathfinder sps-3000c as wanted a moonphase tide graph on a budget plus keep seeing these pop up as well, i look forward to getting my ea-1000w .

paul

Came across this review while reading Morteza's thread... What an inspiring review, Sedi! I'm planning to get one of these when I get my first G. Can't go wrong with all those features for $25! Nice vintage-geeky looks, too! LOL

Thumbs Up Re: Casio AE-1000W - review

Very Good review! I have the AE1000WD-1AVCF with the steel chain/bracelet. It cost an extra $10 but it was worth it. Very comfortable. I just wish there was a snooze button for alarms because I don't wake up easily. I just end up setting up my 3 alarms to wake me up and set the fourth one to be free for whenever I need it
    Last edited by Grend0; November 7th, 2011 at 04:14. Reason: Typo Error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information