Review of the Riseman GW9200
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Review of the Riseman GW9200

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Picture Review of the Riseman GW9200

The Riseman GW9200 comes in two versions: the GW9200 and the GW9200J. The principle difference between the two is that the GW9200 uses module 3147 and offers the option of using either the Metric or Imperial system of measurement in the Altimeter and Temperature/Barometer mode. The GW9200J is the Japanese version of the Riseman which uses module 3145 and exclusively uses the Metric system for displaying altitude and temperature. The other noticeable difference between the two watches is that they use different casebacks.

GW9200 - module 3147 (dragon)

GW9200J - module 3145 (flying squirrel)

Let's start with what you will receive when you order either model. The Riseman 9200, module 3147, comes in a tin and a manual printed in English. The GW9200J comes in a box with a small pillow, hangtag, warranty card and a manual printed in Japanese.

Casio has done an excellent job in designing this watch. The light button is made of steel as is the sensor on the left side of the watch. There has been speculation as to whether the sensor would protrude out enough to make the watch uncomfortable to wear on the right arm. Although I wear my watches on the left, I tested this theory and found that the sensor did not diminsih comfort when worn on the right. The strap on the watch is similar in design and comfort of the Mudman G9000, which is a very comfortable strap. A big improvement on the strap's design is that Casio solved the problem of the strap slipping out of the strap keeper. This was acheived by producing a raised area located on the tip of the strap. In addition to being raised, the area is grooved and creates a firm grip.

There is a red button located on the right side of the watch that is used to enter the Altimeter Mode. For those not entralled with red buttons, the button is actually recessed which greatly reduces its noticeability.

Both modules are outstanding. Current time is displayed in all modes, except the Altimeter Mode. When viewing the watch in the Timekeeping Mode you will notice a graph located in the "red eye." The graph displays a barometric trend that helps one determine if the weather is deteriorating or improving. Also displayed in the Timekeeping Mode is the day, date, year, battery strength indicator and signal strenth indicator for the Atomic feature of the watch. So basically in the Timekeeping Mode, you are in full command.

Atomic Timekeeping

The watch adjusts its time setting automatically by receiving calibration signals transmitted from 6 locations around the globe: Germany, England, the United States, Japan (2 locations) and China. The Riseman GW9200 is the first in the G-Shock line offering the capability of receiving a signal from China, thus the designation of Multi-Band 6. The watch will attempt to receive a calibration signal up to 5 times per day, however once a signal is successfully received it will not attempt to receive any additional signal for that day. The watch offers the option to manually receive a calibration signal at will by the touch of a button.

Altimeter

The Altimeter function measures altitude via two options: through the watch's sensor that measures barometric pressure, or via a reference point that you enter that subsequent measures are based on. The manual describes the reference point option as, "When mountain climbing, you can specify a reference marker along the way or altitude information from a map." "After that, altitude readings produced by the watch will be more accurate than they would without a reference altitude." Other feautes in the Altimeter Mode are an altitude graph that shows measurement results, an altitude stopwatch that lets you track and store altitude ascent/descent for a specified time. I have not had the opportunity to significantly test this feature, however based upon Casio's success of this technology in other proven watches, I am confident of the accuracy of this feature.

Barometer/Thermometer Mode

The watch measures air pressure/ barometric pressure and temperature. In watches using module 3147, temperature can be measured in either celsius or fahrenheit. Module 3145 measures in celsius only. I have found one of the most useful features of the watch is the barometric graph that is displayed in the red circle ("red eye"). This graph is displayed not only in the Barometer Mode, but is also constantly displayed while in the Timekeeping Mode. One can also switch from the barometric graph to a barometric pressure indicator signal that shows an arrow pointing in different directions depending on the rise and fall of barometric pressure. I have watched this graph closely since purchasing the watch and have found it astonishingly accurate. For instance, when explaining the features of this watch to my wife she asked about the barometric graph. At that time the graph was angling downward from left to right, signaling that there was a deteriorating weather trend. She asked if the forecast for our area called for rain and I reluctantly told her it had not. However, I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of rain. Very impressive. I have always had an affinity for weather and as a result I am quite fond of this feature. As in the Altimeter Mode, one can view prior measurements that are stored in the watch. Range measurements for the thermometer are: Module 3147 -10 degrees celsius to 60 degrees celsius and 14 degrees fahrenheit to 140 degrees fahrenheit. Module 3145 measures in celsius only. To obtain an accurate temperature reading you will need to remove the watch from your wrist and place in a well ventilated area. An accurate reading will result in about 30 minutes.

The Riseman offers World Time displayed in 33 cities (29 time zones) around the globe with an auto daylight savings time feature. Other features include: 4 alarms, a snooze alarm, an hourly time signal, Auto EL, power saving mode, stopwatch and a 24-hour contdown timer.

This watch is packed with features, therefore this review only touches the surface of the watch's full capability. My opinion is that the Riseman GW9200 is constructed very well, is extremely comfortable to wear and offers a magnificent number of features. It is not merely a matter of whether you want this watch, you need this watch!
    Last edited by Xfactor; July 8th, 2008 at 06:51.
    dynosaur, clintonde and Tobarm1907 like this.

Re: Review of the Riseman GW9200

Nice review X.
    NFW AutoPilot, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm Automatic., Seiko "BFS" SNKF09. Seiko "Spork" SRP043K. Seiko SRP639KI & lots of G-Shocks.

Outstanding review of the new Riseman. I should visit this Subrourm more often.

Excellent review.....you convinced me to buy one!!! Bought one from Ebay last night, cant wait to get it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bennytheball View Post
    Excellent review.....you convinced me to buy one!!! Bought one from Ebay last night, cant wait to get it.
    Let us know what you think when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Xfactor View Post
    Let us know what you think when it arrives.
    This watch is awesome! The design is fantastic and what I expect a G-Shock to look like. The altimeter and barometer work well. Fits well on the wrist and is not too bulky. Definitely the best G-Shock I have had yet.

Hi, juz wana ask where u buy the japanese version riseman? How much izit (i mean include postage fees as well )? Coz i not fimiliar using imperial readings, so rather choose a SI unit version...hehe

Your review XFactor and DougFNJ's video review and comments here have forced me to order a Riseman (from LeisurePro -- it's backordered, but hopefully not for too long). Shame on both of you!

This is a great forum, but I can definitely see this becoming an expensive hobby/addiction. I already collect old cameras and old watches. I think I even had an old G-shock in the early 80's -- I wonder if it's still in my possession. I remember back in 1980 my father going to Japan for business and bringing back the casio calculator watch. I was in 7th grade at the time, and I was salivating over the idea of secretly using this on math tests... Plus, all those little white rubbery buttons on a watch was just so cool.

Banned

Going to have to pull the trigger on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 26.2 View Post
    Going to have to pull the trigger on this one.
    You won't regret it. I don't believe anyone has here...

(Just make sure you know which one it is before you click "Buy"...)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information