A tribute to a (almost) perfect G-Shock - the G-7900MS all-black - Page 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: A tribute to a (almost) perfect G-Shock - the G-7900MS all-black

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Re: A tribute to a (almost) perfect G-Shock - the G-7900MS all-black

Great review! I'll always be a square guy, but glad to see passion for any g-shock
    Chempop and dulnuandannia like this.

Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    dulnuandannia likes this.

Hi all.

A bit of a necro, but I think it's quite relevant to this thread (as this is a tribute thread).

cal, the features you've listed are EXACTLY what I'm looking for (and quite frankly, so is the 7900MS-1).

Unfortunately, this thing seems to be a unicorn now in 2017.

Would you or anybody else happen to have a current recommendation as to it's proper successor?

The current colour offerings for the 7900 just aren't working for me :/ (the accents make it look kind of weird imo

Thanks all!

GW-7900-1ER?
    Name:  513-Oxs6J8L._UY700_.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  90.8 KB
    Collection: 1. Seiko Quartz Professional Diver 7C43-7000 / 2. Vostok Amphibian Sailboat 710615 / 3. Orient Blue Mako / 4. Vostok Amphibian Special Edition 710333S / 5. Seiko Orange Monster SKX781/ 6. Casio G-Shock G-7900-1ER/ 7. Beijing Watch Factory (BJWAF) White Zunda / 8. Seiko SKX007 Mod / 9. ARMIDA A1 42mm Brass / 10. Seiko FFF Mod

Next on the list: Swiss Diver / Grail: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

I've considered it, but not a fan of how the GW is solar and atomic; I'd rather have a lithium battery and be setting the time.

Nice review!! I'm also considering to get G7900 in blue and red as I have already too much black G's. And this review made up my mind. I'm going to order them tomorrow..

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Don't know - the state I'm supposed to live in, doesn't exist anymore.

Fyi: since I'm no longer interested in most G-Shocks and don't wear the G-7900's no more, both models of mine shown in this thread (the all-black and the olive) are for sale. Just in case someone is interested, please drop me a pm.

cheers
    GTR83 likes this.
    A.M. should burn in Hell

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    Fyi: since I'm no longer interested in most G-Shocks and don't wear the G-7900's no more, both models of mine shown in this thread (the all-black and the olive) are for sale. Just in case someone is interested, please drop me a pm.

cheers
    A bit off topic, but what exactly made you lose interest in G-Shocks? Did another watch take the 7900's place as your ultimate tool watch, or did Casio's current direction with the line disappointed you? I still have my olive 7900 from 2011 and I still like it for being a better G-Shock than most of the newer ones.

Don't know - the state I'm supposed to live in, doesn't exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GTR83 View Post
    A bit off topic, but what exactly made you lose interest in G-Shocks? Did another watch take the 7900's place as your ultimate tool watch, or did Casio's current direction with the line disappointed you? I still have my olive 7900 from 2011 and I still like it for being a better G-Shock than most of the newer ones.
    Well, my ultimate tool watch is not a G, it's not even a Casio. Depending on my mood it is either a Timex T-49851, a Timex T-49975 or a Timex T-49967. The current line of G's is for me personally a bad joke indeed, far too many analogs, too expensive and still Casio is not even capable to put a 24 hour cdt on a top model like the mudmaster - gimme a break. That said, the only G I wear sometimes is the GD-350, still I hate the LED backlight but all in all it is the only G useful to me, mainly due to the vibe, 5 sconds backlight duration and the ability to show current time in stw and cdt mode.

cheers
    GTR83 likes this.
    A.M. should burn in Hell

Yeah, to be honest one of the reasons I stopped visiting this forum (aside from financial concerns at the time) was that the newer models just didn't interest me anymore. I'm sure everyone can come up with essays on why they love their new analog Masters and high end lifestyle blogs like Hodinkee even liked them but those just didn't do it for me.

Over the years I've come to learn that simpler is better - for example, in a diving situation, the new D1000 Frog doesn't do anything that a serious dive computer can't, turning it into a mere backup dive timer in the end, and since serious divers tend to be overprepared, then the D1000 is perhaps too nice to just be a backup dive timer when a simple, three-hand Seiko diver or even the G-7900 can serve just as well as a backup timer. But then again there are also uber-expensive versions of those three-hand Seiko divers around and people still buy them, which leads to my next point.

Personally I see watch collecting (G-Shock collecting even more so) to be something that is more sentimental than rational, so it is refreshing to sometimes encounter opinions like yours which never bother with fluff. And let's face it, f17 (much like everyone else on WUS, actually) buys G-Shocks not because f17 absolutely needs the functions, but because f17 has a sentimental connection for the watches and can afford them. Which is why I know a D1000 Frogman is not realistically priced for what it is, but I still selfishly want one to replace my old GW-200. Add to that the average Joe who fully sees G-Shocks as a fashion/lifestyle item, and the market is set. Due to this mentality, Casio can keep making the watches lack a few basic features like you mentioned and yet they will continue to sell, thus Casio will not feel the need to improve the watches too much, and so on.

I'm also interested that you no longer like the 7900 and instead now prefer the GD-350 which I still remember you also disliked initially, since I've also been looking for a proper "successor" to the 7900 and so far the GD-350 (partly because of the equally affordable price) seems to be the most interesting.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread Information