WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tips and tricks...

126K views 75 replies 65 participants last post by  MisterWatchCO 
#1 ·
Maybe the time has come to make a thread on ''the making of'' pictures.
Below I numbered a few tips and tricks to make some nice pictures.
If anyone has something to add on this thread, please do so, we are all here to learn from each other..

Tips and tricks to make great Photo's…

get a tripod, they are cheap and give great result
clean up your watches/objects before taking pictures ( if possible)
try working with daylight, it gives the best results
Use a light box against difficult light reflections, a white plastic bucket will do fine
If the light is no good, try white sheets of paper to capture ''more'' light
Clear the background, remove all distracting objects
Try shooting from angles, then you have less reflections
If you are taking pictures of watches, make them smile, 10 past 10.
Make sure that your white balance setting on the camera matches that of the light source to avoid yellow or blue tint on the picture(if that feature is on your camera)

I would like to thank Chip for sharing his thoughts with me on this one..

See less See more
#37 ·
If you're using a DSLR I would highly suggest to use a good prime 35-55mm lens. Also shoot in RAW if possible - it gives you just great possibilities in Photoshop with the Camera RAW filter. You'll be able to tweak your picture in many ways and the pictures would look pro.

#47 ·
I think it just a nice clean photo. I like the subtle reflections and without any background it lets the watch be the sole focus. The light box all white background photos to me are clean, but seems like just another website stock photo to me.
Lighting can be tricky but a light bar or just a nice white bulb lamp works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#48 ·
This thread is fantastic.

I'm shooting with a Fuji T2 and I've enjoyed good detail with the Fuji lenses I've owned. Does anyone here adapt vintage Macro lenses? I don't feel the need to spring for a modern AF macro lens since I shoot stationary objects when I'm doing detail work, so I'm wondering if there's a vintage MF lens out there that people have had great results with.

Looking for sharpness

#57 ·
This thread is fantastic.

I'm shooting with a Fuji T2 and I've enjoyed good detail with the Fuji lenses I've owned. Does anyone here adapt vintage Macro lenses? I don't feel the need to spring for a modern AF macro lens since I shoot stationary objects when I'm doing detail work, so I'm wondering if there's a vintage MF lens out there that people have had great results with.

Looking for sharpness
I use an ancient Kilfitt Macro-Kilar on my Olympus OM-D, and it's quite nice to use. I found it at an antiques store and apparently it's rather rare, so I can't recommend it outright if you're looking for a lens, but in general these old macro lenses work pretty well so long as you are sure to stop them down. You can kind of see the lens reflected in my Grand Seiko here:

#52 ·
I personally use a white backdrop with many different color options that I got from amazon for $27 USD. It is simple, efficient and effective. It makes the pictures look professional, also do not invest in cameras, Iphone resolutions or any current smart phones will do the job.

#56 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the good tips !

I would love some feedback on my watch photos and i have plenty right here :

Watch Reviews - Microbrands under the magnifying glass | Hype & Style

The hardest was probably to shoot inside as the outdoor light is simply perfect!

Here is what i have learned :

• Shoot outside with lightly cloudy weather
  • Shoot with a Reflex camera and shoot with RAW. RAW enables you to fiddle with light options when you put the photo in Photoshop, and you can also add more details to the picture.
  • Find cool textures to shoot the watch on. Construction sites, parks and old churches has some nice textured surfaces.
  • Get better a photoshop... Duuuh
  • Use you Smartphone for good close ups if you don't have a macro lens. The newer smartphones have GREAT cameras, but you need your light to be good.
  • Don't always set the time to 10 past 10... It doesn't look genuine, but of course you should avoid times like 12 o'clock or when the hands are hiding the date aperture.
  • Take pictures of the watch without the bracelet. It looks hella cool (check my CODE41 Review).
  • For dive watches, shooting on concrete when it's raining is fun. Shoot dress watches inside in a fancy restaurant.. Use the terrain to tell the story... I shot the UNDONE Aqua in a small river for example.
  • For lume shots, use RAW and shoot in low light but where you can still get a good focus... Then just lower the expsure in Photoshop!

Reactions: CVK