Thread: 18k Warranted?

18k Warranted?

I have a nice fob watch that has no name (probably english) with a bridge movement and a lovely gold dial from the 1800's. It is stamped 18k Warranted on top but does not say for how long it's warranted. Now the gold has no discolouration whatsover.

Is this solid gold or just plated?

Re: 18k Warranted?

solid

Sounds like it's solid. If it was gold-filled (as it might have been in those days), it would likely have said something like: "Guranteed to wear for *XX* years", or words to that effect.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Any chance of getting a sharp closeup of both the movement and the inside of the back cover, especially if there are hallmarks? We'll have a more definitive answer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jipstar View Post
    I have a nice fob watch that has no name (probably english) with a bridge movement and a lovely gold dial from the 1800's. It is stamped 18k Warranted on top but does not say for how long it's warranted. Now the gold has no discolouration whatsover.

Is this solid gold or just plated?
    The manufacturer way back then was probably warranting that the alloy case was composed of at least 75% gold. A jeweler could establish whether it was alloy, plated or rolled gold. If it is an alloy case then a wear-through warranty of say 25 years would not be appropriate.

Sounds like an interesting watch - do you have any pictures?
    Last edited by John MS; June 10th, 2009 at 14:00.

If the case were 18karat solid gold then there would be no need to use the word warrented because the hallmark stamp 18kt.would be enough by law to prove purity.In my experiance ,anytime the word warrenty is stamped then its a gold filled or gold rolled plated case that is warrented against wear for several years.Louping the edge of the case with a 10x power loupe usually give the answer about if gold or gold plate.

An "18k" hallmark was not required in all countries throughout history.

Deuber used a extra confusing method. A stamped anchor meant the case was plated and a raised anchor meant it was solid.

Shugart lists a couple of other companies that used "Warranted 18K U.S. Assay" or "Warranted 18K TO ASSAY" to designate a solid 18k case. It also lists one company that used "Warranted .750 The K.W.C. Co."

Photos would help identify if other marks are present

I'm going to assume that "Warranted 18K" also means solid 18k (or as John MS says, an alloy that contains at least 75% gold)

Here's some detailed pics of my Pocket watch:

From the Last phote, you'll actually see how the 'WARRANTED' is written and underneath is the K18. The 18K is also stamped were there is the push button to release the back on top.

Can anyone give any information on this watch? Is it Solid gold? because the only information I know about it is this:

Date: Late 1800's
    Fob Watch
    No Name
    Rare Gold Dial
    Bridge Movement
    Last edited by Jipstar; June 11th, 2009 at 21:37.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Looks to me like a Swiss LeCoultre style bar movement with the curved barrel bridge. Popular from 1830 to 1875. Definitely not English. Not clear enough for me to guess if it's cylinder or lever escapement.
    What is stamped inside the case back? Any hallmarks?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information