Thread: 1958 Bulova 10kt Rolled Gold Plate

1958 Bulova 10kt Rolled Gold Plate

Just picked up this little beauty in a Long Island antique shop for $35. Date code is L8 (1958) and it is stamped '10kt Rolled Gold Plate' on case back outer and 'Bulova 5th Ave New York" on case back inner. I wound it up at the antique shop to make sure it worked and keept it running for 3 days to see how it kept time. It seems to keep perfect time. Came on a Spiedel band but have it ona a leather strap now. Will send it out to be serviced soon. No scratches on crystal means it's most likely a replacement. 32mm case (34mm at crown) 40mm long with lugs, makes it about the same size as my 50's Benrus. Just figured I would share some photos and see if you had any comments. :thanks

Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Re: 1958 Bulova 10kt Rolled Gold Plate

As usual, congratulations for choosing Bulova. 50s Bulovas were well made and because they are relatively numerous, it's still fairly easy to get parts for them if they need repair.
    A watch with a subsecond was definitely a conservative purchase in the late 1950s, but this is a nice one.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Nice find! A few months ago, I got a 1952 Bulova from ebay for around $130. Steel. I love it and has the cool lugs. I recently got a custom made leather strap for it. I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
    Nice find! A few months ago, I got a 1952 Bulova from ebay for around $130. Steel. I love it and has the cool lugs. I recently got a custom made leather strap for it. I'm happy.
    I was really happy with this deal, the guy wanted $50 and I told him I could only go $35 on it. He said 'No I will keep it for that' and put it back in the case. I only had $60 with me and I had already agreed to buy a early 80's Wostok Russian diver for $20. I think he wanted to deal. Once he figured out I was not going to offer more he said...Umm Ok $35 is good. With tax I walked out with just change in my pocket and two classic watches.

Ray, thanks for the nice comments:thanks, it must have been well cared for. I was just lucky to find it. Seems so odd the dealer had no idea what any of his watches were and now the best two are with a true WIS. I may go back next time I am down there and buy the 70's Poljot he had. I really need to look at the pocket watches too...he had a bunch of them. With what I learn here, I may actually know what to look for.
    Last edited by sixtysix; March 30th, 2008 at 03:07.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Thread Information