1960's? Trebex

Thread: 1960's? Trebex

1960's? Trebex

Does anyone know anything of this maker, I heard they were British and used Swiss movements but would like to know more.
    The watch I have was my great uncles which was left to me, it sat in a drawer for some time like these things do then my wife took it had it serviced, cleaned and had a new strap fitted for my birthday...it keeps great time and is virtualy unmarked.
    Width across case not including crown is approximately 35mm.
    I have uploaded some pics but cannot /dare not open the case in case I mark it as I cannot find any obvious opening place...does anyone have a picture of the movement on one of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by stefano34; February 28th, 2010 at 09:34.

Re: 1960's? Trebex

Nice watch

Quotation from another forum:

"Trebex was the best grade of the British Watch Cases Ltd 236 Pentonville Rd. London N. The company no longer exists"

Looks like the cases were made in UK,they used swiss movements...like many other companies at that time.

The case is a front loader and you will need a crystal lift tool to remove the crystal. The stem should just pull out if moderate force is used.

I hate these as I can never get the stems properly reinserted. It is an artform my watchmaker has mastered (like changing straps) but I haven't (well, I can do straps).

Beautiful state of preservation. Enjoy!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Ideally, you should only need to rotate the stem so that the connector is up/down, and the movment should come right out. However, some two-piece stems are tighter then others, and this doesn't work too well. "Forcing" the stem out risks breaking the connector.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Nice watch

Quotation from another forum:

"Trebex was the best grade of the British Watch Cases Ltd 236 Pentonville Rd. London N. The company no longer exists"
    Yet Mikrolisk says its a brand of:

Milex Elem. Watch Co. Ltd.
    http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php/280/letter_T
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

just an update on this watch, I have learnt how to open up these 'front loaders' and in doing so I have discovered that it is definately solid albeit 9ct gold case, the movement is marked with an F in a butterfly shape(ETA?) with 398 I cannot find a matching ETA number or movement in fact it looks very similar to a peseux 320 though not identical, http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/...peseux_320.php
    The movement appears to be chrome? plated or highly polished nickel/silverplate?
    The datemark dates it to 1961? and there is an BWC(British Watch Cases) in a lozenge shape, there is also a trident or three towered castle in a shield shape present.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by stefano34; May 8th, 2010 at 22:46.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stefano34 View Post
    just an update on this watch, I have learnt how to open up these 'front loaders' and in doiung so I have discovered that it is definately solid albeit 9ct gold case, the movement is marked with an F in a butterfly shape with 398, the movement appears to be chrome? plated or highly polished nickel/silverplate?
    In that case, it ought to be a Felsa Cal. 398. Your example seems to differ slightly from the one given in Ranfft's database:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Felsa_398

The indirect central second wheel in that link was added by Mido, so that's OK. Still, the bridge layout is not quite the same: part of the geartrain bridge has been "cut off" and added to the wheelhouse bridge. Such adaptations were not that uncommon in those days where a number of makers tried to make their generic movements a little more personalized. Ranfft also states that it is not sure who really designed and made this movement: Felsa or Adolf Michel (AM).

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information