Thread: Abercrombie & Fitch Co Junior Shipmate

Abercrombie & Fitch Co Junior Shipmate

I am an extreme novice when it comes to watches. I recently inherited an odd watch from my father. It is fairly plain, silver tone with silver tone face, Arabic numerals, three hands, and no other features (date, etc.). The only markings are the words "Abercrombie & Fitch Co Junior Shipmate" under the 12 and a small "Swiss" under the 6. There are no markings that I can see on the back, but the number 31217 is machine etched on the side under the 6. It came with a black grosgrain/nylon band. It works fine. Does anybody know anything about this watch? Is it a "major find" or just an interesting old watch? Thank you for your help. Sorry about the pictures - I have a rather mediocre scanner.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Co Junior Shipmate

Can't see all that much from the photos unfortunately. It looks like it might date from the 1960s - which would be from the era of A&F as a sporting goods retailer.
    A lot of different manufacturers made watches for Abercrombie and Fitch over the years. Without a good photo of the movement there's not much any of us can do to identify the watch further.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I would get it serviced and cleaned and then wear it. Nice looking watch and it will remind you of your dad.

I've been looking for a shipmate - would you be interested in selling it?

Quote Originally Posted by benr4 View Post
    I am an extreme novice when it comes to watches. I recently inherited an odd watch from my father. It is fairly plain, silver tone with silver tone face, Arabic numerals, three hands, and no other features (date, etc.). The only markings are the words "Abercrombie & Fitch Co Junior Shipmate" under the 12 and a small "Swiss" under the 6. There are no markings that I can see on the back, but the number 31217 is machine etched on the side under the 6. It came with a black grosgrain/nylon band. It works fine. Does anybody know anything about this watch? Is it a "major find" or just an interesting old watch? Thank you for your help. Sorry about the pictures - I have a rather mediocre scanner.
    The watch your father gave you at age 14 when you went off to his old prep school, circa 1961. Beautifully made, understated, not ostentatious, tasteful. Interestingly, Admiral James Stockdale also had one; mentioned in his autobiography.

Thread Information