Thread: Bolivia watches?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Bolivia watches?

This is a question for all on the forum. Who made the Bolivia watches? I have a Bolivia Electra, 21 jewel manual wind watch from the early seventies. I picked it up on the Bay and it looks real good for its age. However, I can not find any history on Bolivia watches. I know they were probably cheap watches for the times but I like the design. The wife hates it but she does not have to wear it. Any history or point in the right direction for information would be great. If my camera permits I will try to post a picture later.

Thanks,
    Steve B.

Re: Bolivia watches?

Bolivia was a cheap watch that often used the word 'Electra' on the dial and a number 23 or 21 etc so people would think that was the jewel count. Does it say 21 Jewel or just 21? They usually used a single jewel pin/lever movt. and cheap materials. Bolivia looked a lot like Bulova on the dial, and I have heard that these were specifically made to decieve people. I have a couple of these, that I got in watch lots, they are $2 watches.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

stuffler,mike

Moved to "Vintage & Pocket Watches" because it's vintage

Thanks for the info, the dial does just say 21 on it. Cheap or not, who ever had this watch sure took care of it because it is keeping excellent time for a watch over 35 years old. I would still like to know who made them and I payed a little more than $2 for the watch but thats OK I imagine the $2 dollars ones do not run and look to good.

Thanks,
    Steve B.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

We really need pictures of the case dial and hopefully the movement to tell you much more.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Sorry I read it wrong so I edited it and deleted what I posted thank's for some one letting me know.I thought you were talking about bolova.:oops:
    Last edited by river rat; November 11th, 2008 at 17:08. Reason: I put wrong info for my post

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Here is a photo of one of my Bolova's I don't know if this is cheap but any thing that can survive WW2 I don't think is cheap.This one was made in the USA and this one was a A-11,16 jewel,hack,and used for navigation.Bolova is a Swiss-USA company and it started in 1875.And I would like to see photo's of your bolova.
    FYI it's Bulova not Bolova.

The original poster is talking about Bolivia watches not Bulova watches.

There is no relation between Bolivia and Bulova.

As has been said already Bolivia watches were cheaply made and were an attempt to fool people into thinking that they were purchasing a good quality Bulova watch because of the similar name.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Right. A Bulova A-11 is certainly not cheap and I believe it's a legendary Military style of watch. Bolivia is a new one to me but as JimH says we shouldn't confuse it with Bulova.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    FYI it's Bulova not Bolova.

The original poster is talking about Bolivia watches not Bulova watches.

There is no relation between Bolivia and Bulova.

As has been said already Bolivia watches were cheaply made and were an attempt to fool people into thinking that they were purchasing a good quality Bulova watch because of the similar name.
    I found one in a box as I was moving into the watch-u-zimmer. I misread the dial and thought I had a Bulova. I started to polish it and all the gold plating started to come off -- must have been all of 1 micron thick. I'll post a pic if I can find it...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I found one in a box as I was moving into the watch-u-zimmer. I misread the dial and thought I had a Bulova. I started to polish it and all the gold plating started to come off -- must have been all of 1 micron thick. I'll post a pic if I can find it...
    You KEPT it??
    That is a true WIS - dom !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information