WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Can anybody help me?

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnF 
#1 ·
I usually post over on the Russian forum, but also collect some vintage watches;

I've just purchased a black dialled Titus, apparently dated 1944.

Can anybody please point me to a history of Solvil and Titus, as I'd like to check the age of this watch?

No camera here at work but I'll post a picture when I get home later today,

Many thanks in advance

Chris

#2 ·
Hi -

From what I can get from the usual sources, the company Solvil et Titus SA was incorporated in Bienne in 1937, was resurrected in 1996 by a certain William J.G. Devine of the UK and moved to Thunex. Then moved to Geneva, moving a couple of times in and around Geneva.

Today it's definitely one of those brands that probably does very well on the Chinese market, considering that Andy Lau Tak Wah, of Hong Kong Kung-fu fame, endorses the watch.

But more on the history of your watch? Hmmmmm...

It's the company Paul Ditesheim founded in no less than 1892 in La Chaux-de-Fonds.

Pix! We need pix! :)

JohnF

#3 ·
chris l said:
I usually post over on the Russian forum, but also collect some vintage watches;

I've just purchased a black dialled Titus, apparently dated 1944.

Can anybody please point me to a history of Solvil and Titus, as I'd like to check the age of this watch?

No camera here at work but I'll post a picture when I get home later today,

Many thanks in advance

Chris
The Ditisheims were a legendary Swiss watchmaking family.
Maurice Ditisheim founded the Vulcain company in 1858. His son Paul worked for Vulcain and then left it at age 24 to start Solvil & Titus in 1892.
Paul Ditisheim was a Victorian era Renaissance man - watchmaker, inventor, research scientist. His pocket chronometers are highly collectible items and his company made some beautiful art deco watches in the 1920s and 1930s.
Your Titus was made near the end of his life and would be part of that rich family tradition dating back nearly 90 years. I'm sure it's a very well made watch and look forward to seeing pictures.

#5 ·
Based on the photos I'd agree it's from the 1940s. A lot of the Swiss movements of that era were 15 jewel movements. The inscription is probably correct. Looks to be in pretty good shape as well. :-!
Make sure to get it serviced if you plan to use it with any regularity. It's over 60 years old and deserves your respect.

#6 ·
Ray MacDonald said:
Based on the photos I'd agree it's from the 1940s. A lot of the Swiss movements of that era were 15 jewel movements. The inscription is probably correct. Looks to be in pretty good shape as well. :-!
Make sure to get it serviced if you plan to use it with any regularity. It's over 60 years old and deserves your respect.
Thanks for the infomation; it surprises me that Swiss watches were available in the UK in 1944 - I know that absolutely everything was in short supply by late '44 for the civilian population; I wonder if there is a military connection?

October 9th 1944 was the date that the last of the Arnhem para's were rescued: I think this watch is for occasional wear only, maybe November 11th every year.

best wishes.

#7 ·
chris l said:
Thanks for the infomation; it surprises me that Swiss watches were available in the UK in 1944 - I know that absolutely everything was in short supply by late '44 for the civilian population; I wonder if there is a military connection?

October 9th 1944 was the date that the last of the Arnhem para's were rescued: I think this watch is for occasional wear only, maybe November 11th every year.

best wishes.
The Swiss continued to manufacture watches throughout the war. Possibly this one was sold to a military person, although it doesn't have a military serial number or dial appearance. It could be late '40s with the inscription having some other significance, as you suggest.

#8 ·
Re: Some pictures..

Hi -

That's a beautiful Titus! To have one of that age with that nice a face is something to treasure.

And I agree with Ray: that's one to make sure that it stays in good shape. Clean and lubrication would be a great idea to make sure that the watch stays in great shape...

Enjoy that watch!

Oh, and the Swiss enjoyed a number of special priviledges during the war: they supplied military watches to everyone in Europe, based on ability to pay, and steadfastly refused to become sole suppliers to any one belligerent party. Gruen, for instance, had no trouble with deliveries from Switzerland during the war and was able to continue to provide civilian watches (at a premium price!) throughout the war, since they were largely exempt for making military watches, unlike Elgin, Hamilton and others. Instead, they made military gauges.

Sort of like the Swedes during that war as well: they sold Bofors (20-40 mm antiaircraft cannon) to both sides and made it clear that if Bofors were copied, they'd no longer supply the guilty party. Sold lots of iron ore to the Germans as well.

Swiss watches would've been probably the most numerous of watches available to the public during the war, since domestic suppliers would have converted to military production...

JohnF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.