Thread: Does anyone have plans (drawings) to build a simple pocket watch case?

Does anyone have plans (drawings) to build a simple pocket watch case?

For the last year I have taken metalsmithing classes. The skills I have learned are for jewelrymaking but I think can cross over to making a case.
    Sawing
    piercing
    cutting
    Straightening
    bending
    doming or dapping
    soldering
    setting a cabochon (flat stones which is simular to setting a crystal)
    making false and real henge
    I have not done any casting or lost wax art

I asked my instructor and she said I would first need to get some plans. I was thinging about 6497 or 6498 movement.

Any thing would be appreciated. Maybe to early 1900s wristwatch plans would work.

Bulldawg
    Last edited by BullDawg; March 28th, 2009 at 17:05. Reason: typo

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Re: Does anyone have plans (drawings) to build a simple pocket watch case?

Just get your movement dimensions and a drawing package.

These are some photos taken with my phone (bad quality). I think you will see most of the techniques needed for making a watch case. I have a TurboCAD program but will not be cutting this on some 21st century machine that will take a CAD program. I plan to use the tools from the 16th century. I would just like a cut away diagram of a pocket watch to make sure I'm not missing a step.

Thanks,

Bulldawg
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by BullDawg; April 19th, 2009 at 05:30. Reason: One photo was the same

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

One way to find some drawings is to go to the US patent office website and search through the older patents after putting in the terms 'watch' and 'case' or 'watch' and 'pocket' for the title.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

Unfortunately, you cannot search the older stuff like this. But more recent patents usually refer back to older ones. Then spends hours looking at each one. Sometimes the pages appear to be blank; sometimes you get something like (not what you want) this:

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=...iew+first+page

or

http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=...6RS=PN/D066995

Here's a springy watch chain!

http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=...iew+first+page
    Last edited by Marrick; April 19th, 2009 at 10:04. Reason: springy watch chain
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I will give you an update. Before my Sterling Silver I'm making a copper and brass locket. I'm dedicating Tuesday nights about 3-4 hours. For the last three weeks I have been trying to add the 2 hinges but is much more difficult than I would have thought. I tried sauntering a homemade 'knuckle henge' but they kept getting ripped off by the henge along curve. This week I Brought around a thick copper wire between the two henge halves and riveted the hell out of them with some hand made rivets. Then a lot of time getting middle back in shape. I will do a 'false henge' that is where a big wire goes though a metal loop. The two ends of the wire will be flattened in in ornamental way and also hand riveted to the top and bottom.

The original wrist watch that donate its skeleton movement and 24 hour moon and 2nd time zone built on 6498 came in from HK. That was "Parnis Watch" the one that was de-listed from eBay. My back-up 6298 skeleton came in from Germany with a nice open dial. Oh well now I have two - I guess I just have to get a nice strap for one of them.

Next week I hope I can put on the two lids. Work on the closing apparatus. The Sterling silver case will have to be much larger to minimize the large henge. I'll add some photos this week.

I'm reading "Piratical Watchmaking" by Donald de Carle, there are some good photos but not great.

Marrek - one of this links was perfect.

Cheers,

Bulldawg / James

This is the prototype of a pocketwatch without the use of any modern tools. I need to beat it some more to close the gaps. Then add a closing simple mechanism. This prototype will become a locket for my wife. I will do something bigger in 20 gauge sterling silver.

The movement will be a ETA 6497 or 6498. I bought two Chinese skeleton clones and I had to adjust both to keep them working. Now both are OK and cased and I'm waiting for new watchbands.

Any suggestions to find a dial source to fit this movement? Stem at 12 and minutes at 6. Can I find something on eBay? No one there writes the size usually just the brand or name.

Cheers,

Bulldawg
    Attached Images Attached Images       

I've done quite a bit of case repair. You don't need drawings to make a pocket watch case. It's just a big ring that you put the movement into.

One place where you're going to run into trouble is that the movement must fit tightly into the case. The best way to achieve this is by turning the inside on a lathe. There are other ways such as making a movement holder out of a more easily worked material, that holders the mechanism securely and fits tightly into the case, but achieving a tight fit is essential.

Even if you cast your case, because of shrinkage, you will have to turn the inside so that it accurately accepts the movement. One way to get around this in your case would be to have an accurate movement holder turned for you, and hard solder it into your hand made case.

Thread Information