elgin 17 jewel pocket watch

Thread: elgin 17 jewel pocket watch

elgin 17 jewel pocket watch

hi everyone, im new here, a friend suggested i join. i have an elgin pocket watch,im wondering if anyone here is familliar with this watch, i realize i cant get an apprasial, but im looking for anyone that may know the date it was made, i would like to know roundabout what this type of watch goes for...a collector told me $35, but in my opinion, it should be worth way more that $35.... its worth $35, just to look at. lol and thought maybe someone here may know....

has roman numerals, second hand in its on seperate dial at bottom... and main dial has 3 roses, hunting scene on front and back.
    heres the information inside the back cover....

elgin SA switzerland
    unadjusted
    has 2 sets of numbers...

swiss, 17 jewels.

i found it on one site, said rare, but was sold out and said call for price, i did, and they said they couldnt give me the price as i wasnt a member.

here is the site i saw it at....

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?oe=UTF-8...umber%3D741948

edit... the above 2 sets of numbers are off the back cover inside.....in my search, ive found the only way to look it up is by the number on the movement, which all i can see is 86, the rest is covered and the watch would have to be taken apart.....but the way i found the above link, was by putting those above numbers from the case, it took me to the same exact watch.
    Last edited by sirfredrico; May 28th, 2010 at 19:51.

Re: elgin 17 jewel pocket watch

hello. i am unaware of any way to trace swiss elgins. if it were an american made movement then you would be in luck as there are excellent records available to discover manufacture date.

that said, and without a picture this is conjecture, i would guess your watch is from the 60s or later. elgin was still manufacturing movements in the us through the 50s, so i would be surprised to see a swiss movement in an earlier watch.

as for value, try doing a completed auction search on ebay with some of your watch's particulars. it may help establish what they're going for. another thing to consider, the pocketwatch market for american brands attracts a special kind of collector. most of them seem to enjoy harkening back to the days when the us made excellent watches. i would guess that a swiss elgin might not peak their interest quite as much. but this speculation on my part. good luck.

Moderator Emeritus Ray MacDonald's Avatar

It's impossible to appraise watches over the Internet and it's our policy on WUS not to try. The reason for this is that condition is by far the #1 criterion for determining a watch's value and that cannot be assessed by a description or photograph. Only by having the watch in the hands of a skilled appraiser can one get a fair valuation.
    Having said that, the value of any pocket watch that is not railroad grade will rarely be more than the cost of servicing it to get it back to decent running condition. The Swiss made Elgins are of even more limited interest to collectors, who prefer the older US made pieces.
    Pocket watches may be old but they are by no means rare or particularly valuable. Elgin made over 50 million of them in the USA over a 100 year period, and a lot of them survived in dresser drawers when their owners switched to wrist watches.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; May 28th, 2010 at 20:42.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Swiss movements in Elgins starts around 1958-9 (ish).
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

thank you everyone, what i gather from the comments here, is that is maybe true what one collector told me who did look it over....he said basically the same, that there are so many, and this particular one isnt desirable to collectors....that he would put value at $35.... but to me, that didnt sound right, as it does have 17 jewels, and is in perfect shape, and has a nice movement, as well as the name elgin... i think he must have been right on.... so.... i get to keep it. no way id part with it for $35, im just now getting interested in pocket watches. thanks for the input all..

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirfredrico View Post
    thank you everyone, what i gather from the comments here, is that is maybe true what one collector told me who did look it over....he said basically the same, that there are so many, and this particular one isnt desirable to collectors....that he would put value at $35.... but to me, that didnt sound right, as it does have 17 jewels, and is in perfect shape, and has a nice movement, as well as the name elgin... i think he must have been right on.... so.... i get to keep it. no way id part with it for $35, im just now getting interested in pocket watches. thanks for the input all..
    You should always keep it, especially if it's your first pocket watch. You can always look back on it and remember that this was the one that started your obsession.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Thread Information