Geneve Universal Compax Three Dial Chrongraph

Thread: Geneve Universal Compax Three Dial Chrongraph

Geneve Universal Compax Three Dial Chrongraph

Inherited watch. It has been worn extensively and needs repair. Could anyone please tell me if these numbers on the back 885105/01.2508443 indicate a first generation watch? I believe they translate to a manufacture year of 1967, but would appreciate knowledge sharing on that as well. Thank you.
    Name:  Geneve Watch.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  99.8 KB

Re: Geneve Universal Compax Three Dial Chrongraph

Public or Vintage Forum.

Geneve Universal Compax three dial chronograph - dating assistance requested

Would like to ask for assistance. Inherited Geneve Universal Compax three dial chronograph. It has been worn a lot and needs rebuilt. Wondering if it is a first generation which seem to be more valuable and justifies the cost to rebuild. Numbers on case are: 885105/01 and 2508XXX. Photo attached. Appreciate any assistance.Name:  Geneve Watch.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  99.8 KB

Re: Geneve Universal Compax three dial chronograph - dating assistance requested

I'm no expert but that looks like a first generation UG Space Compax chronograph. You might be sitting on a five figure watch. You should contact LouS or Sempervivens, perhaps post the watch on the Zenith subforum to get their attention.

As for whether it's worth restoring, the answer is undoubtably yes, regardless of any other factors!

Beautiful, congratulations.

I think it is beautiful as is, and wonder why you say it needs 'rebuilding'. I would suggest to leave it as is, as collectors highly appreciate originality. Any parts which you change will affect the collector's value.

Things to do may include lightly polishing the crystal with Polywatch and have the case and movement cleaned: that is if you plan on wearing it.

You can also sell it 'as is' (if that's your final intention), collectors will know what to do with it and may even pay extra for a watch that's been left untouched.

The serial number 2508xxx does indicate production between 1966 and 1967.

The model number 885105/01 will help you to find similar watches on the internet. Search for ' Universal Geneve 885105/01 ', but I guess you already did that.

Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

If it was my watch, and I was selling it - I wouldn't do anything to it at all - Leave it as it is, the people who buy a watch like that will much prefer to decide what, and how, it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by KasperDK View Post
    If it was my watch, and I was selling it - I wouldn't do anything to it at all - Leave it as it is, the people who buy a watch like that will much prefer to decide what, and how, it's done.
    I agree 100%. However, you should take it to a watchmaker and have it opened so you can take good photos of the movement and the inside of the case-back. The more detailed photos and information you can provide, the higher the selling price.

Of course, if you are going to keep it, just take it to a watchmaker and have him do a standard COA service. Be sure to tell him/him not to replace any of the original parts and not to polish the case.
    -- Dan

Somebody wanted you to have this watch. It wouldn't be fair to sell it. My advice: fix it, wear it, love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a valjoux 72 powered watch, have it fixed and restored by someone who has experience with the valjoux 72 movement. Overhaul won't be cheap but knowing how much the valjoux 72 powered Universal chronos prices start, I owuld keep and not sell it.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thread Information