Gruen Veri Thin Value?

Thread: Gruen Veri Thin Value?

-->

Gruen Veri Thin Value?

I'm having some of my watches and other collector items insured, and I don't have a clue as to the value of my father's 1940's Gruen Veri Thin. I realize this is not a truly valuable watch, but the description is as follows: Rose gold filled watch marked Gruen Veri thin and precision on the dial. Original rose gold dial,original hands. and original domed crystal. Original rose gold filled bracelet is part mesh and part expansion. There are no dings or dents and the crystal is clear with only a couple of nearly invisible hairline scratches...Case is the same..The dial is not faded. The watch was serviced about 4 years ago and runs well and keeps fairly good time..My father bought the watch in Hollywood in the 40's and then rarely wore it..With the watch comes the original perfect condition large plastic display box having a velveteen mount inside for the watch and featuring a blue Gruen Veri Thin banner on the upper left portion of the inside lid and the Gruen crest on the inside bottom right. The box is lined in a pale yellow satin material. This inner box is housed in the original outer Gruen blue cardboard box, marked "Gruen..America's choice since 1874. The outer box has only a few minor marks and is in very solid, unfaded condition. He later had a Gruen Curvex Majesty which, of course, somehow got lost..any ideas on the value or collectibility in this condition.?.Also in the box is the original small fold out combination instructional and warantee brochure, which encompasses both Curvex and Veri Thin Models..Brochure is mint and the warantee was never filled out..Thanks for any opinions.

Re: Gruen Veri Thin Value?

I guesss I should have read a little more to discover you don't evaluate here. Seems to be part of every other other watch forum..Even ballpark?

If other watch forums are willing to give you an evaluation, then by all means take advantage of it..we don't do it here for reasons stated in our sticky notes.
    It has been our experience that any estimate not done in person by a skilled evaluator isn't worth having. It'll probably be out by 50% or more. What good is that to you?
    We refer you to such books as Shugart, or to eBay which may have similar items on sale from time to time.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

No ballpark from me either for the exact reasons we state: it's not fair to you.

But consider this: you watch has the original box and documentation, which automatically makes it significantly more valuable than the watch by itself. Given the age of the watch and the fact that you have the original packaging, it is an eminent collector's item.

One way of checking the market value of the watch is to search eBay's historical auctions. You can do this by logging on to eBay and go to the advanced search, enter the description of your watch, and search only on past auctions. That will give you an idea of how many times such an item has come up for auction and what prices were paid...

And post pictures: we love pictures.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks for the info, I'll check ebay. The first moderator to reply suggested something called "Shugart". Is this some currently available reference book? I would love to be able to post pictures, but myself and nearly all cameras are enemies.

http://tinyurl.com/3aujl8
    Complete Price Guide to Watches 2008

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information