Help dating a Zentra pocket watch

Thread: Help dating a Zentra pocket watch

-->

Help dating a Zentra pocket watch

I just found this beauty at the flea market this afternoon. From what I've been able to dig up on my own, they're a German company that started in the 1920's, and tended to use other companies movements in their watches.

Any estimates of age and/or value?

Thanks,
    --Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Help dating a Zentra pocket watch

No value estimates... they are impossible to do with any accuracy. See the stickies.

Age... looks like early 20th century to me. A good flea market find!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Yes I'd agree 1900-1920 probably. It has German and Swiss assay marks on the case. The minute hand and second hand are replacements, I'd say. Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index...howtopic=24906

This info is apparently wrong. See the post from Mike Stuffler!

"This company was founded in the mid 19th Century by Adolph Huguenin. The exhibited in the International Exhibition at Philadelphia in 1876. In 1877, when they one a prize at the Neuchatel contest they were listed as A Huguenin & Fils. The company was noted for producing good quality watches and Chronometers.
    The company was listed in Bienne in 1887 and were still there in 1924.
    In 1880, they registered the name A Huguenin & Sons, Locle. They registered a tradename ‘Nielaschef’ in 1914. They were still about in 1926 when they patented the ‘Ermeto’ or ‘Hermetic’ watch. About 1956, the company was bought by the Hamilton Watch Co., but they carried on as a separate division.
    The company was still trading in 1986.
    Known brand names used and approximate dates used
    Alpex - 1986
    Celene Luxe
    Eurama
    Firn
    Hugo Watch - 1951
    Mignon Watch Co - c1890 to 1966
    Zentra
    Zentra Royal - 1966"
    Last edited by Marrick; April 21st, 2008 at 10:11. Reason: Correction

stuffler,mike

Sorry to disagree but according to the trademark this watch was made by ZentRA. ZentRA was a cooperation founded 4 Sept. 1927 at Berlin as the "Markenuhren-Verein". The ZentRA grew very fast and ended up with about 2500 members selling ZentRA watches. Almost in every german town there was a least one ZentRA dealer. Having 2500 memebers ZentRA was in the amenity to order in larg quantities for reasonable prices.

After WW II ZentRA moved from Berlin to Cologne and tried to get back on the track. During the 60ties and 70ties ZentRA watches have been wide spread. The average price was about 180 German Mark. The collection consisted of simple sports watches for ladies and men, classy square watches. Movements have been both swiss (A.Schild) and german (PUW).

In the 80ties - caused by wrong economical decisions and also caused by the quartz revolution - ZentRA closed down. The "ZentRa e.V." tried the reconstruction of ZentRA but they failed.

In 2001 the RS-Handelsgesellschaft, located in Düsseldorf, bought the ZentRA trademark and rights (see: www.zentra-uhren.de). The RS-Handelsgesellschaft is also known for launching the Javelle and Elysee brands.

The ZentRA watches of our days are powered by quartz or japanese movements (most automatics are Miyota).

The pocket watches of ZentRA have been fitted with german and swiss movements as well. A lot of ZentRA pocket watches have been equiped with Junghans movements. I´d rate the watch 1930-1940.
    According to the silver stamp shown in pic 2 (quarter moon + crown) the case was made in Germany.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; April 20th, 2008 at 19:31.

Thanks Mike.
    I was dating it earlier based on the dial but I couldn't decide whether it was metal or enamel. Don't see many enamel watch dials in the US or Switzerland in the 1930s.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

:oops: I have no expertise in this other than googling! So I'm happy to stand corrected.

Thread Information