Holland Railroader watch, seeking more information

Thread: Holland Railroader watch, seeking more information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holland Railroader watch, seeking more information

Greetings All!
    I have come into possession of a pocket watch that belonged to an ancestor and can't find out anything about it online. Thus far I have not even been able to find even a mention of the Holland watch company, let alone the particulars of model, year etc. I have attached pictures and have come seeking your help.

What appears on the face of the watch:
    Holland Railroader 17 jewels
    Swiss

The lid on the back, interior
    Keystone Victory 10K rolled gold plate 5098450 (number in a v formation)

on the interior parts of the watch:
    swiss, unadjusted, seventeen jewels, FOB and Holland Watch Co.

Many Thanks
    Roderic
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Holland Railroader watch, seeking more information

Quote Originally Posted by rodericusrex View Post
    Greetings All!
    I have come into possession of a pocket watch that belonged to an ancestor and can't find out anything about it online. Thus far I have not even been able to find even a mention of the Holland watch company, let alone the particulars of model, year etc. I have attached pictures and have come seeking your help.

What appears on the face of the watch:
    Holland Railroader 17 jewels
    Swiss

The lid on the back, interior
    Keystone Victory 10K rolled gold plate 5098450 (number in a v formation)

on the interior parts of the watch:
    swiss, unadjusted, seventeen jewels, FOB and Holland Watch Co.

Many Thanks
    Roderic
    That's got to be the nicest Railroad cash-in I've ever seen.

From the word 'Railroad' it is obvious the watch was intended for the North American market because the rest of us in the English-speaking world say 'Railway'. For Americans, a railroad-grade watch is something very special. Due to the vast distances in the US, mostly single-track routes with long stretches between sidings, but relatively heavy usage, accurate timing of rail services were literally a matter of life-and-death in the 19th Century. Thus were created a system of standard time-zones, later adopted by the rest of the world, and watches created for railway usage were the very best available.

But yours is not such a watch. Sorry. Just as words like 'Chronograph' and 'Chronometer' have often been used to shift cheap watches, so too 'Railroad'. Note how it doesn't specifically say 'Railroad Grade'. However your watch looks like a decent mid-grade fully-jewelled watch. Properly serviced it should last forever. I'd estimate it to be mid 20th Century vintage, which seems quite late for a faux-Railroad.

Moderator Emeritus Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Not railroad grade, Swiss 17 jewel movement probably imported to the US after World War II. Holland watch was probably a US based distributor of watches. FOB is a Swiss maker's 3 letter code but my books don't have it listed unfortunately.
    Keystone is a US watch case maker, so the watch was probably cased in the USA.
    Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Holland Watch Company was a brand marketed by Friedman's Jewelers. Friedman's used to have several locations in Augusta, GA. and I believe elsewhere. I'm not sure if the company still exists. They also marketed a Jacques Prevard watch which was considered a higher end model than Holland. Both lines used quality components.

Quote Originally Posted by 99baggett View Post
    Holland Watch Company was a brand marketed by Friedman's Jewelers. Friedman's used to have several locations in Augusta, GA. and I believe elsewhere. I'm not sure if the company still exists. They also marketed a Jacques Prevard watch which was considered a higher end model than Holland. Both lines used quality components.
    Once the third largest jewelry chain in the US, the company recently went kaput.

It is interesting how many jewelry chains created house brands. Maybe we should start a thread listing them as we find them?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

UT 429/435? I've got a few of these. Midland; Fairfax in a Fairfax case(Dorlin); West Point in an Invicta case; Beftmar(w/Cote de Geneve) in an Illinois, Boulevard (marked-M.A.Mead & Avia) in a Star; Boulevard (marked Mead) in a Stellar, etc. Some of these came from Canada. e
    Last edited by enough; July 24th, 2010 at 15:45.

Nothing technical to add. I love that dial. EEeb, that would be a great resource for information. I have a book of all the jeweler pocket watchmakers going back to colonial America (american only though) and its proven priceless. An online link to jeweler watches would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by enough View Post
    UT 429/435? I've got a few of these. Midland; Fairfax in a Fairfax case(Dorlin); West Point in an Invicta case; Beftmar(w/Cote de Geneve) in an Illinois, Boulevard (marked-M.A.Mead & Avia) in a Star; Boulevard (marked Mead) in a Stellar, etc. Some of these came from Canada. e
    I own a Beftmar pocket watch. I googled Beftmar and you were the only person mentioning this watch. I didn't realize until I googled again that it was on this forum that I just singed up at and posted the question. Can you take a look at this thread. What do you know about Beftmar? Thanks. Need help with vintage pocket watch: Beftmar?

It says banned under your name, if that's true no chance of a reply to my question....

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyonthespot View Post
    It says banned under your name, if that's true no chance of a reply to my question....
    That's a very accurate conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Burnham View Post
    That's a very accurate conclusion

Just my luck...the one guy who might be able to shed some light on the mysterious Beftmar was given the boot.

Hope he didn't steal anyone's watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information