Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How & where to wear a pocket watch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How & where to wear a pocket watch?

In this day and age of T-shirts, tank-tops, singlets, jumpers, jeans, shorts, hoodies and Lord knows what else, there's not many places on a piece of clothing where a pocket watch can hide. Daily fashion has become increasingly casual since the 1950s & 60s to the point where the traditional home of the pocket watch, a waistcoat and its pocket, are almost never worn in public today (In fact in my time I've only ever seen one man on the street wearing a three-piece suit. Was a very nice blue pinstriped one).

So my question is, where or how do you wear your pocket watches if you take them out on the town with you as your timepiece for the day?

Obsessions over pens have caused me to want to own shirts with breast-pockets (usually just one, on the left side of the shirt), and that's where I clipped my pens and kept my mobile (cell) phone. Ever since I started using a pocket watch again (and I haven't done since I was about 14), I've taken up the habit of putting my watch in that same pocket and affixing the chain to a buttonhole in the same shirt.

Is this a safe place to keep watches? What do you do? I generally don't places my watches (or any other valuables) in my trouser-pockets. Enough lessons were learnt that when you sit down, stuff likes to go missing.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Re: How & where to wear a pocket watch?

Your approach is probably a practical one in this day and age.
    I would still look for trousers/jeans that have a watch pocket and use that if I were to carry a pocket watch.
    Sadly I have given up the idea and just keep my antiques at home in a glass topped case. I think they have earned the right to a peaceful retirement since the youngest one is 99 and the oldest is 125 this year.
    Spotty1125 likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

Funny you should bring this up. I just got my vintage pw back from being serviced and thought to myself "I guess I will have to buy a three-piece suit or two now so I can wear it and look fashionable." Ray's suggestion is good though.

~JB

You can get a fob with a leather strap that you can use to grab the watch out of the trousers watch pocket. I have a Lima steam shovel one that's pretty cool.
    You can also find an antique short chain fob that will clip on your shirt pocket if you don't want a big chain dangling from your shirt. :oops:
    My uncle used to loop a shoelace through the bow of a Hamilton railroad watch and put it on his belt, then put the watch in the watch pocket. That is not so cool though.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

I found this article too in case you are interested.

http://www.mensflair.com/style-advic...et-watches.php

~JB

Interesting article. No way I'd put the watch in my left hand pocket though. I have trouble enough with my car keys over there. :oops:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Interesting article. No way I'd put the watch in my left hand pocket though. I have trouble enough with my car keys over there. :oops:
    Nor in my back pocket either!

~JB

I haven't wear a pocket watch in last 10.years.When I was younger I used to wear a Junghans silver pocket watch(first pocketwatch I have ever had) on the job with me,and people find it very amusing so they bored me all the time asking me what the time is,so they could just see me taking it out.

Amusing little game it was.

Very interesting article. I too keep my watch in a left pocket. Anyway, Ray, with regards to pocket watches and age, I'm the kind of person who believes that if I spend *however many hundreds of dollars* on a good/decent antique pocket watch, that I may as well use it. No point in burning up all that cash on something that I've wanted for ages and then have it sit in a domed case unused and wasted. So I will use mine; daily, and for timekeeping purposes :)

And Jedanzoom, I take great pride in my many eccentricities and to hell with what other people think. If I want to use my watch, I shall do so, regardless of what other people might think. And people think I'm nuts already 'cause I have an 80-year-old antique fountain pen in my pocket which I use for taking down lecture-notes at university. So I may as well have an age-appropriate watch to go with it! Hahahahaha.

I wouldn't mind one bit about people asking to look at my watch, provided that it stays on the chain and in my hands. Owners of antiques and older things get very worried when people show up to tinker with them (like winding it up too far and jamming it or whatever).
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Banned

A lot of non-WIS who are in my company either at work or elsewhere, think that my watches are neat, not so much the prices I pay though. But my pocket watch is not something they see everyday and therefore when I wear it they inquire and think it is neat to have such an item.

~JB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information