Thread: Identify Benrus 3 Star (rough age)

Identify Benrus 3 Star (rough age)

Curious to know at least a rough age of this watch. I've searched around the internet but haven't found this exact dial. Benrus seems to have endless minute variations of their dials.

I have a Benrus 3 Star that my grandfather wore as long as I've been alive. He passed about 15 years ago and I've been wearing this watch on and off ever since. His other watch is a Zenith El Primero; that one needs service and stays in a safe place for the time being.

I've recently begun collecting watches, and I know nothing about this one. It runs well, loses about 10 seconds per day.

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

I don't have a clear photo of the movement, but it is automatic and marked like this:

Rotor:
    BENRUS WATCH Co INC
    SEVENTEEN 17 JEWELS
    MODEL DO 13
    SWISS UNADJUSTED

Balance assembly:
    AXZ

Balance wheel has movable weights.
    Seems to make 2 full oscillations per second, 4 "beats" per second.

Photo of the dial:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rmzalbar; December 15th, 2009 at 21:32.

stuffler,mike

Re: Identify Benrus 3 Star (rough age)

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Definitely looks like 1950s. The style of hands and lack of date window usually are good indicators of a 1950s watch, as is the term "selfwinding." So 50-60 years would be a rough guess.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    I read that before I posted. That is a cool story and watch! I like the idea of restoration, but I'm always unsure of my skill and how much restoration is "good".

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Definitely looks like 1950s. The style of hands and lack of date window usually are good indicators of a 1950s watch, as is the term "selfwinding." So 50-60 years would be a rough guess.
    The hands and lume have rust and corrosion stains. The lume still glows with a strong light charge, but only barely and not for very long. There is some patina on the matte silver dial, looks a bit like shaving rash. You can kind of see it in the picture, concentrated mainly near the center and to the right.

Bestfit doesn't list a DO-13, but does list a DO-131, DO-132 and DOA. All of those use different versions of AS (A. Schild) movements. I <tend> to associate the first letter of the model to when the line was first introduced, but that's a guess based on the few watches I have. I don't know of any better way to date them, other then the design cues noted by Ray. Some cases have patent numbers that can help.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    ...Some cases have patent numbers that can help.
    No patent numbers anywhere, even after removing the movement. Markings inside the caseback indicate it was last serviced in '62! There is also a previous service (illegible, looks like maybe fifties-something) and another illegible mark that could be an inspector's mark.

Thank you, guys.
    Last edited by rmzalbar; December 16th, 2009 at 02:49.

Thread Information