Thread: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15

    Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    This pocket watch was my great grandfather's, I believe he bought it before WWI, but he might have bought it when he was in France fighting or when he got back.


    There aren't many identifying markers. Only 'Swiss Made' stamped on the inside. The number '22' on the inside of the casing, and the number '58830' below that. The thing that I love is that the inside is engraved with intricate patterns, arrows and stars mainly.


    Here are some photos:








    Any information would be great, thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    After a bit of research I found a very, very similar face on W. G. Clark/William Clark/William Clarke & Son pocket watches and clocks. Would I be right in saying this is a Clark watch, or is it a very common face?
    Last edited by Athenry; December 8th, 2011 at 14:03.

  3. #3
    Member trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,951

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    The face is extremely common - so no good really for an ID. The movement looks familiar, but my braincells are struggling at the moment. It is quite an early movement, and ID of these is difficult.

    If you could supply the dimension of the movement (not case) - it will be easier to look. Even a close match will still be a guess, unless you can get a watchmaker to remove the dial and photograph the dial side of the movement.
    Last edited by trim; December 8th, 2011 at 14:48.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    The face is extremely common - so no good really for an ID. It looks familiar, but my braincells are struggling at the moment. It is quite an early movement, and ID of these is difficult.

    If you could supply the dimension of the movement (not case) - it will be easier to look. Even a close match will still be a guess, unless you can get a watchmaker to remove the dial and photograph the dial side of the movement.
    Bugger, I collect a lot of things and I always hate when the maker doesn't leave their name on the piece. I have a bunch of century old pipes with absolutely no way of identifying them.

    The movement has a 39mm diameter. I guess the movement will be the only real way of identifying it?

  5. #5
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,845

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    The movement looks rather like an early Omega pocket watch movement:

    bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Omega 19'''

    However, before you get your hopes up too high, I know that there were a fair number of knock offs of these movements by other makers. Even if it is a real Omega movement, it is of one of the lower quality grades (poor finissage, only seven jewels or even fewer from what I can see from here, no elaborate fine adjustment on the balance.....).

    Hartmut Richter

  6. #6
    Member radger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.E England
    Posts
    2,884

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    I also thought it could be an early Omega movement, although I've never saw one with the two piece
    barrel and crown wheel bridge.

  7. #7
    Member trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,951

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    Pretty sure it isn't an Omega. I wonder if the star on the cock means anything.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The movement looks rather like an early Omega pocket watch movement:

    bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Omega 19'''

    However, before you get your hopes up too high, I know that there were a fair number of knock offs of these movements by other makers. Even if it is a real Omega movement, it is of one of the lower quality grades (poor finissage, only seven jewels or even fewer from what I can see from here, no elaborate fine adjustment on the balance.....).

    Hartmut Richter
    Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    I also thought it could be an early Omega movement, although I've never saw one with the two piece
    barrel and crown wheel bridge.
    How can you see the jewels? I can only see three. And two of those look like they're missing. I had a look and it really does look like a lower quality version of an Omega, it looks very similar to the Omega Grand Prix movement. I thought Omega would mark all of their watches though.

    Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Pretty sure it isn't an Omega. I wonder if the star on the cock means anything.
    That's what intrigues me the most, it's probably the only identifying mark on it.

  9. #9
    Member AbslomRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Canada
    Posts
    4,003

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenry View Post
    How can you see the jewels? I can only see three. And two of those look like they're missing. I had a look and it really does look like a lower quality version of an Omega, it looks very similar to the Omega Grand Prix movement. I thought Omega would mark all of their watches though.
    For the most part, they do, but usually under the dial. Omega built a lot of "jobber" watches (designed to be personalized for the customer or retailer), and these would be mostly blank on the back with text being added later. However, even those watches would typically have the serial number put somewhere.

    The design is certain similar to the Omega 19, but there are some subtle differences. Is there really only one case screw, or is the other one cut off in the photo? The pallet bridge is different, and the click is closer to a cortebert then what Omega used.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15

    Re: Identifying Old Swiss Pocket Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    For the most part, they do, but usually under the dial. Omega built a lot of "jobber" watches (designed to be personalized for the customer or retailer), and these would be mostly blank on the back with text being added later. However, even those watches would typically have the serial number put somewhere.

    The design is certain similar to the Omega 19, but there are some subtle differences. Is there really only one case screw, or is the other one cut off in the photo? The pallet bridge is different, and the click is closer to a cortebert then what Omega used.
    The number imprinted in the back of the case wouldn't be a serial number would it? Thanks for all the information, I'm thinking about taking it to a jeweler to disassemble and see if there's a logo or name on the inside. Maybe get them to service it at the same time. Hopefully it wont cost too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •