Thread: Information on a SWANK Watch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Information on a SWANK Watch

I have had this SWANK Watch for thrity years and never thought much about it until I became more interestd in watches. I have done a search on the net, but came up with very little. Can anyone tell me more about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

Re: Information on a SWANK Watch

If you post a pic of the movement the experts can tell much much more!
    Probably one of the hundreds of brands that the quartz killed off.

Nice looking watch!

stuffler,mike

As already posted on our DWF

Those watches have been very common in the late 50ties/60ties. A lot of brands had similar watches in their portfolio. Here´s my LIKA

Most of them had a 17 jewels hw movement, other had simple pin lever movements. In those times tons haven been around. You should consider to post on our Vintage & Pocket Watches Forum.

If I get a little more adventurous I will attempt to take the back off. It runs and is keeping time for the past two days. I am afraid I will break it if I mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    If you post a pic of the movement the experts can tell much much more!
    Probably one of the hundreds of brands that the quartz killed off.

Nice looking watch!

Swank is a manufacture of mens fashion jewelry and accessories.They started in the late 1800s and their heyday was the 1950s through the 1980s.The company never offered high end jewelry, but gold plated or gold filled cufflinks,tie bars and leather gift items like wallets. their jewelry was/is trendy and sold at mens wear stores or deparment store counters.Today they manufacture for fashion names like Kenneth Cole...back in my younger days fashion names liker Pierre Cardin hired them to produce gold plated or sterling silver tie chains and neckchains.I wore one of those gold plated chains in 1978-79 and at that time it cost about $22 retail...alot for a gold plated chain back then and sold at better mens clothing stores or department stores.I have several pairs of swank cufflinks that were gifted to me by my father and older relatives that wore them in the 50s and 60s.The watch was designed by Swank and then sourced out to a watch maufactor for mass production.Im sorry I cant tell you more then this about the watch.

My bet is that this watch is from the late 70s early 1980s when Rolex Subs and TV shows like Magnum P.I. and Dallas showed main charactors wearing them.Swank was all about jeweley trends that were current.The movement could be stamped with the manufactures name or markings.

I've got a pair of Swank cufflinks with a watch in one of them. I got them in a job lot and guess they are from the 60's. The movement is a generic swiss made so I suppose Swank had deals with variuous manufacturers to produce their goods.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

I'd guess it's from around 1970. As stated Swank is a jewelry brand. It's probably a generic Swiss windup movement.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

What a coincidence! I just bought this watch at a flea market today. The movement is marked "Continental Time Co inc" and is made in France. It is has 17 jewels (like the dial says). My guess is that it is from the 60's.

Last edited by lenny; November 29th, 2009 at 14:23.

That is a coincidence. Mine was running well for about three days, but has started running very slow. I guess I have nothing to lose by removing the back. I will see if I can do that without destroying it and post a picture.
    Last edited by chris1216; November 29th, 2009 at 17:07. Reason: To correct an errant "not"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information